Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If they take on Oliver and his full contract for 6 years this will only be 1 first round pick and maybe a fringe player involved.

Smith will be 1 first round pick also.

2024 first round pick for Oliver.
2025 first round pick for Smith.

I think they can get these deals done easily.

That’s a great deal for everyone involved.

Except Melbourne and the doggies.

Saints are cracking the sads because battle leaving for less money to a better club proves exactly how pathetic an organisation they really are. Add to that, their mismanagement of his contract which meant they couldn’t even guarantee themselves band 1 compo.
Unsurprising to see them treat the only player with any actual ambition at their club like this.

Feel like Geelong is testing the concept of the Ship of Theseus

In the need to replace their ageing champions, many of which are just genuinely good blokes - with a constant supply of players with questionable attitudes - do they eventually hit a tipping point, where their culture just sinks.

Scott seems to be amazing at bringing players back to their best and focusing them, but just like in any workplace, if you pollute the pool enough, it just becomes a swamp.

Adding Clarry and Baz, with clear question marks on their approach to certain things, just feels like it tips the weights even further.

Feel like Geelong is testing the concept of the Ship of Theseus

In the need to replace their ageing champions, many of which are just genuinely good blokes - with a constant supply of players with questionable attitudes - do they eventually hit a tipping point, where their culture just sinks.

Scott seems to be amazing at bringing players back to their best and focusing them, but just like in any workplace, if you pollute the pool enough, it just becomes a swamp.

Adding Clarry and Baz, with clear question marks on their approach to certain things, just feels like it tips the weights even further.
Great analogy.

Similarly the Saints have the
Ship of Those&Us

I don’t see how the Cats have the draft capital (or players) to get Oliver and Smith.
I'm not fussed if they get Clarry. Worth keeping in mind that Worps is a FA next season so if they grab Clarry then hopefully the links to Worps going home can die once and for all.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I read just a couple of weeks ago that Geelong publicly stated that they didn't have a problem with being nominated while their season was alive (or words to that effect). So I'm not sure if that would be the case here.
Chris Scott said on AFL360 something along the lines of. "It's okay for Battle to nominate Hawthorn as he's a free agent and that just gets done. But for Bailey Smith a trade would need to be done and there a lot of things going on so until that trade goes through lots can happen."

Makes me think they have other targets and know that a trade will be difficult to agree on.

Reminds me of O'meara where there was a real possibility it wasn't going to happen despite Jaegar wanting to join us and us bending over to make it happen. If not for a generous carlton deal it Gold Coast wouldn't have traded him.

That’s a great deal for everyone involved.

Except Melbourne and the doggies.

if you have made a 6 mill error you will try and clean it up as quickly as possible.

take the 1 first round pick, clear yourselves of all the headaches and problems that have been created, keep the Million for another player or two and move the heck on!!!

Saints are cracking the sads because battle leaving for less money to a better club proves exactly how pathetic an organisation they really are. Add to that, their mismanagement of his contract which meant they couldn’t even guarantee themselves band 1 compo.
Unsurprising to see them treat the only player with any actual ambition at their club like this.

If they had valued him at the start of the contract negotiations they may never of lost him.

Only increased his wage after we came to the party. One way of telling someone you do not rate them as a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That seems like such a petty thing to do to Battle.
I would hope we as a club would do better in that situation. He gave them his all this year which is reflected in his 3rd position in the b&f. When someone leaves their current employer we praise them for all their hard work and wish them well in their new job. The AFL as a whole (including clubs, fans and the media) is a terribly unsympathetic place for players making excruciating tough decisions in the best interest for themselves and their family.

If they had valued him at the start of the contract negotiations they may never of lost him.

Only increased his wage after we came to the party. One way of telling someone you do not rate them as a player.
This. Initially I reckon they offered him an insulting contract as they likely earmarked him as a player that could be sacrificed that could hopefully net them Band 1 compo. When it became apparent that Band 1 was not a certainty they then came late and offered him a counter offer that they felt would net them Band 1 to make us blink but by that time they already sh*t the bed and how could you blame Battle in not wanting to stay after being made to feel welcome by a professionally run organisation that just happens to be his boyhood club.

I really hope they don't get him. If they get him for a discount and somehow turn him back into the old Oliver, whilst also adding Smith too, then they have just rebuilt their midfield.
I got torched around here a few years ago for not buying into the cliff is coming narrative. As long as they keep doing this sort of thing, in a very even competition, they unfortunately will still be there abouts.

Add in Reid in a year or 2 and the cycle continues.

I got torched around here a few years ago for not buying into the cliff is coming narrative. As long as they keep doing this sort of thing, in a very even competition, they unfortunately will still be there abouts.

Same, people have carried on about the cliff for years. And year after year they somehow remain competitive.

For the first time I actually allowed myself to believe the cliff had arrived during their patch in the middle of the year, but they turned it around, again.

I believe Christian has the issue with Clarry.

No side info, just he has been the loudest about club culture and change.

Clarry the one in the lime light for bad behaviours. Add Smiths dad stating his son was just a scape goat.

I am sure there’s more parts, but I feel that’s the core of the issues.

Maybe a few decent players become available failing a clarry trade?

Brought in 4 first rounders after winning a flag, got a kings ransom for Kelly as well which pretty much became Cameron and 2 2nd rounders. They’re always happy to take good players at the end of their career and squeeze out a couple of extra years as well as drafting mature aged players. If they add Oliver and Baz for unders this trade period they aren’t dropping off anytime soon.

I believe Christian has the issue with Clarry.

No side info, just he has been the loudest about club culture and change.

Clarry the one in the lime light for bad behaviours. Add Smiths dad stating his son was just a scape goat.

I am sure there’s more parts, but I feel that’s the core of the issues.

Maybe a few decent players become available failing a clarry trade?

Perhaps Melbourne have started their external review and uncovering more and more info……..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back