Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly I came into this thread about to say the same thing about us now being close enough to full strength

Once McStay and Elliott are back in, Mitchell and Cox are really the only remining core pieces we need back.

Even then, if Ned Long can perform Mitchell's role, then it's really just Cox and even Cox's presence could be potentially cancelled out by McStay and Kreuger giving Cameron a chop out in the ruck for a few minutes each per quarter.

I think Fly just needs to find a way to get these players actually giving a shit about our season again. We look a LOT like the first 3 weeks of the season where we were more than happy just being the reigning Premiers rather than trying to go back to back.

Which I gotta say is a little bit surprising given the 3 main components of our coaching group have all experienced 3 peat success as either players, coaches or both?

I will say the only part I disagree on is Beau. Prior to his injury run, I think he was better than you're giving him credit for and he was just starting to show some real promise as a midfielder before his concussion in the Carlton game.

But his pace and power isn't easy to replace

It's just funny that when Cox and Mitchell are playing everyone is screaming for them to be dropped, but when they're injured they become critical parts of the best 22.

I call it the Sean Rusling Theory.

The longer a player is out injured, the better and more important they become.

It's just funny that when Cox and Mitchell are playing everyone is screaming for them to be dropped, but when they're injured they become critical parts of the best 22.
Well they did both play in a premiership.

And Mcstay didn't, does that mean Mcstay isn't important?
No it doesn’t.
But clearly, we’ve had a poor run with injury this year and it has impacted our season.
I don’t really understand the point you are trying to make.

You have a funny definition of everybody.

The cox v Kreuger debate will have its day when cox is ready to return. With Mihocek out for the year there’s every chance there’s room for both of them, alongside McStay.

Whilst Long - who replaced Sullivan who replaced mitchell - has played one quarter of senior football for Collingwood. That debate will also commence when Mitchell returns but Longs 25 minute cameo is hardly a death warrant for Titch’s career.

You have a funny definition of everybody.

The cox v Kreuger debate will have its day when cox is ready to return. With Mihocek out for the year there’s every chance there’s room for both of them, alongside McStay.

Whilst Long - who replaced Sullivan who replaced mitchell - has played one quarter of senior football for Collingwood. That debate will also commence when Mitchell returns but Longs 25 minute cameo is hardly a death warrant for Titch’s career.
Doubt there will be much debate, I think with Checkers out the outcome will be that Cox plays alongside both McStay and Kreuger.

Not me. And I think Fly shares my views. Thankfully.

Doubt there will be much debate, I think with Checkers out the outcome will be that Cox plays alongside both McStay and Kreuger.
Yes , mihocek missing makes it a bit more clear cut but there’s still the possibility they run with Kreugs in ruck and play a smaller forward line with Reef and/or WHE as the third tallish forward, and of course Elliot returning.

Still some weeks away before that needs to be decided.

Cox wasn’t in great form prior to injury. Suspect he will come straight in regardless when ready as we are putting a lot of pressure on Cameron to perform with little relief, but it’s not the only permutation. The forward line also needs consideration.

It’s been interesting listening to Adam Simpson’s candid comments this week about how the extent of West Coast’s injuries in recent years has meant that at times there has been no selection integrity. They’d been forced to play whatever players were available whether they were ready or not. And that contributed to the results.

Thankfully we’re not quite at the stage West Coast have been.

It’s been interesting listening to Adam Simpson’s candid comments this week about how the extent of West Coast’s injuries in recent years has meant that at times there has been no selection integrity. They’d been forced to play whatever players were available whether they were ready or not. And that contributed to the results.

Thankfully we’re not quite at the stage West Coast have been.
I call BS on (some of) Simpson's comments. Sure they had a lot of injuries, but they also handed out big $ and contract extensions to ageing players who subsequently either got injured, lost form, or just got lazy. Natanui, Hurn, Gaff, Shuey, Kelly, Darling, Kennedy ,.. all clogged up their list and salary cap when they could have been developing new talent.

It was these senior players who didn't stand up when the going got tough and provide a transition period for the newer guys. The young blokes had to carry the load, and couldn't do it.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the theory

I can only speak for myself where I’m not one of the people who wanted either of them dropped. Mitchell especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm concerned about the injuries to the older guys. Checkers and Howe have not had a good run with injuries this year. The gloomy side of me fears that the physical toll of footy has finally caught up with them, and that the end will come soon - maybe sooner than we think.

Not righting them off - but I'm feeling gloomy.

I'm concerned about the injuries to the older guys. Checkers and Howe have not had a good run with injuries this year. The gloomy side of me fears that the physical toll of footy has finally caught up with them, and that the end will come soon - maybe sooner than we think.

Cheer up VP.
They will both be back for our finals campaign.

I call BS on (some of) Simpson's comments. Sure they had a lot of injuries, but they also handed out big $ and contract extensions to ageing players who subsequently either got injured, lost form, or just got lazy. Natanui, Hurn, Gaff, Shuey, Kelly, Darling, Kennedy ,.. all clogged up their list and salary cap when they could have been developing new talent.

It was these senior players who didn't stand up when the going got tough and provide a transition period for the newer guys. The young blokes had to carry the load, and couldn't do it.

Sure, but isn’t that an extreme example of what we’re currently going through? Aging players getting injured, losing form, or getting lazy?

IMO the real challenge of this comes with transitioning to the next generation. Those older guys are still our best when they’re playing - but what happens when they’re not playing? And how many games can we rely on them for going forward?

It has to take a toll on ageing bodies for sure. It’s a worry.

IMO the real challenge of this comes with transitioning to the next generation. Those older guys are still our best when they’re playing - but what happens when they’re not playing? And how many games can we rely on them for going forward?
And that is why we need a smart and fully invested footy manager
Wright either signs for next 3-4 years or we need a quality replacement very quickly as this list needs major restoration

That’s my concern 76.

And that is why we need a smart and fully invested footy manager
Wright either signs for next 3-4 years or we need a quality replacement very quickly as this list needs major restoration

Will be devastated if Wright leaves. Took us years to recruit an operator of his quality, he had a huge impact, and now we’re not sure of his future at the club.

I hope his sabbatical has knocked some sense into him.

Will be devastated if Wright leaves. Took us years to recruit an operator of his quality, he had a huge impact, and now we’re not sure of his future at the club.

I think you mean you hope his sabbatical has - reinvigorated him and his thirst for more flags for his beloved Collingwood.

It has to take a toll on ageing bodies for sure. It’s a worry.
Agree, might help explain our poor performances this year after 6 day turnarounds. Good thing we've had a rare 7 day break this week, hoping that makes all the difference to our intensity and run.

I doubt that he’ll be back unfortunately.

Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back