List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpler still would be to add the current max cap exclusion ($480k ie 6 x 80k) to the salary cap, absorb cat A rookies into the senior list to a list of 42.

1st round picks get 3 year contracts
2nd & 3rd round get 2 year contracts
4th + get 1 year

Then Cat B as is, or similar.

100% this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Simpler still would be to add the current max cap exclusion ($480k ie 6 x 80k) to the salary cap, absorb cat A rookies into the senior list to a list of 42.

1st round picks get 3 year contracts
2nd & 3rd round get 2 year contracts
4th + get 1 year

Then Cat B as is, or similar.
Does this system mean that 1st. round draft picks are contracted on minimum wages for 3 years, whilst later picks can negotiate higher salaries sooner if their form deserves it?

We've got to let at least 3 go from the senior list. Carroll, Cunners and....Pitto??? ...Owies???.
Unless we somehow manufacture to transfer a player to the rookie list.
Carroll and Owies aren't on big money and and are unlikely to ever command big money or long-term deals. I would think the club would offer 2 year deals on close to minimum chips for both. It's not as though we're bereft of small forwards anymore and Owies hasn't shown he has the ability to rip a game apart like Rachelle, Rankin, Stengel, Weightman, Ryan, Rioli, Cameron, etc.

Honestly, some of the money people here claim players should be on is ridiculous. $450k X 30 = $13.5m, which is somewhere around our entire salary cap. We know Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, etc are in the $600k-$800k range, while Saad, Martin & Williams wouldn't be far off that mark. What many people here envisage what a player's salary woulda, coulda, shoulda been on compared to what they actually are on would be in stark contrast to each other IMO. Pitto signed a 4 year deal so he won't be going anywhere unless traded.

The first players I'm looking to offload are overly injury-prone players or ones that don't look being able to compete for a senior spot. Marchbank, Cunners, Martin, S.Durdin, Akuei and Mirkov. Can I trade my way out of Young??? Does that give me enough salary cap space to lure over Tom McDonald (UFA) on a 2 year deal to help Weiters out while we develop a young KPD. McDonald isn't going to command big money at this stage of his career. Would certainly balance up our backline.

The talent/skills of our small forwards and some other players haven't changed a great deal really....

The main change is the way we play as a team and in particular the forward pressure and turnover game really allows the smaller/more mobile players to shine

For example fog is not playing that differently to how he played when we first got him - watch his highlight reel from the cats days and early on as a blue is very similar to how he plays now - like a weapon

Owies was always good and even better now with our improved game style/systems

I cant wait for Motlop to return either - I think he is going to be even more electric.

Durdin dtill young and developing.

The change in our game style and renewed energy after the Curnow camp and in recent weeks this year has been amazingly good and it is making good use of the role players.
A lot of these role players tend to improve as the quality of players around them improve. Let's say Owies used to cop the 3rd best defender, now with Elijah & Williams down there he may only cop the 5th best defender. Life becomes easier for everyone.

Everyone develops differently but I liken him to Kennedy as that slower / classy strong bodied midfielder. Matt was still struggling up until 2022. So he was 25 before he came good - Jack is still 21. Plenty of supporters wanted Kennedy delisted prior to '22 also and was only retained on our rookie list in 2020.
I'm not worried about Jack Carroll at this stage. At least he's fit, on the park and can be used if required. There's more than enough that can't though.

Owies is a real interesting one. It wouldn’t surprise me if a club offers him 4 years at that ~$450k mark. I would be hesitant going that long.
Doubt it. Owies would be 31 at the end of that. That's K Cornes fantasy numbers JMO.

Carroll and Owies aren't on big money and and are unlikely to ever command big money or long-term deals. I would think the club would offer 2 year deals on close to minimum chips for both. It's not as though we're bereft of small forwards anymore and Owies hasn't shown he has the ability to rip a game apart like Rachelle, Rankin, Stengel, Weightman, Ryan, Rioli, Cameron, etc.

Honestly, some of the money people here claim players should be on is ridiculous. $450k X 30 = $13.5m, which is somewhere around our entire salary cap. We know Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, etc are in the $600k-$800k range, while Saad, Martin & Williams wouldn't be far off that mark. What many people here envisage what a player's salary woulda, coulda, shoulda been on compared to what they actually are on would be in stark contrast to each other IMO. Pitto signed a 4 year deal so he won't be going anywhere unless traded.

The first players I'm looking to offload are overly injury-prone players or ones that don't look being able to compete for a senior spot. Marchbank, Cunners, Martin, S.Durdin, Akuei and Mirkov. Can I trade my way out of Young??? Does that give me enough salary cap space to lure over Tom McDonald (UFA) on a 2 year deal to help Weiters out while we develop a young KPD. McDonald isn't going to command big money at this stage of his career. Would certainly balance up our backline.

A lot of these role players tend to improve as the quality of players around them improve. Let's say Owies used to cop the 3rd best defender, now with Elijah & Williams down there he may only cop the 5th best defender. Life becomes easier for everyone.

I'm not worried about Jack Carroll at this stage. At least he's fit, on the park and can be used if required. There's more than enough that can't though.

Doubt it. Owies would be 31 at the end of that. That's K Cornes fantasy numbers JMO.
The salary cap is almost $18mil next year. That would mean Owies is getting the AFL avg next year and below from then on.
most best 22 players would expect the avg wage.

You really think that Curnow, Cripps. Walsh et all are on $600k - $800k? Harry Perryman is weighing up whether to take a deal at hawthorn for 5 years at $800k per year. Salary cap next year goes up to over $17 million from over $15 million this year. There were 19 players getting over $1 million a year in 2023, and that number is expected to explode in 2025. There's probably a couple of our players on over $1 million now and a couple more to join that list shortly.

Weitering has supposedly just said no to a $12million offer over 8 years at the Saints. I think that you might have to adjust your numbers a bit

Media have been saying our salary cap has been tight for years but we keep signing our players and bringing in mature talent from other clubs. It's all made up to attract readers and attaching salary cap to Carlton is also another way of attracting readers. The evidence is in our actions, not assumptions from journalists.

Media have been saying our salary cap has been tight for years but we keep signing our players and bringing in mature talent from other clubs. It's all made up to attract readers and attaching salary cap to Carlton is also another way of attracting readers. The evidence is in our actions, not assumptions from journalists.
Yes - given our past, plus Cook and Austin (and also B Lloyd), the one thing I'd be confident on is management of the salary cap for the now and into the future- in terms of retention of required players, plus allowing for future possibilities.
That won't mean there won't be challenging calls in the future. I think we're going to see various players some of us would like to keep, who are traded out, or who leave for 'better opportunities' (either in terms of game time, or salary).

Does this system mean that 1st. round draft picks are contracted on minimum wages for 3 years, whilst later picks can negotiate higher salaries sooner if their form deserves it?
That’s how it is now.
The only change with my suggestion is those taken in the ND in the 4th round or later getting 1 year automatically rather than 2

That’s how it is now.
The only change with my suggestion is those taken in the ND in the 4th round or later getting 1 year automatically rather than 2
I don't like the idea of 18 year olds being tied to any club/part of the country for 3 years that they have no input in the decision, 2 years maximum for all sounds fairer to me.
I understand that clubs like to get a return on their investment, but I doubt that the AFLPthingy would support 3 year contracts for draftees.
It tends to favour the clubs heavily, 'like wanting their cake, and eating it also'. "We'll tie down the high draft picks, but won't take the same risk with speculating on the rest".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it confusing tbh....a month or so ago the media were reporting that we were up to our eyeballs with Will Hayward as a FA, and now reporting that our salary cap is tighter than a fish's blurter...

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're holding off on a few contracts because we have a potential trade/s lined up....but we can't commit to either until the AFL come out with their proposed changes to F/S rules to see how it affects our draft capital. The classic domino effect.

I find it confusing tbh....a month or so ago the media were reporting that we were up to our eyeballs with Will Hayward as a FA, and now reporting that our salary cap is tighter than a fish's blurter...

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're holding off on a few contracts because we have a potential trade/s lined up....but we can't commit to either until the AFL come out with their proposed changes to F/S rules to see how it affects our draft capital. The classic domino effect.
They have no idea, they just make it up, always have. Only we would know our salary cap situation and we will be keeping that in house.

I think there are many reasons why we would be holding off on signing players. Trades are one. Putting pressure on the player to get them to perform or take a lower salary is the other. The other reasons would be the player/manager are holding off to try and get a better deal. We also may not know who we will trade in yet, so the last few players on the list won't be signed until we have a better idea or we have done the deal, so we can sort out how our players salaries are loaded, you want to be paying 100% of your cap every year so that you can front load as much as possible which opens the cap up down the track.

Some players, we may also be seeing if their bodies hold up.

We have a strong list so it will be difficult to trim it. We may also be looking to offload contracted players, those contracts will be minor so this could effect list management.

TBH I don't think we will take a heap in the draft. I can see us only taking 3 or 4. I think we will sniff around trade wise and look to shuffle players on and off the rookie list but we aren't a team who needs to have a heap of list changes.

I think our salary cap will be managed just fine. According to the media we have had a salary cap squeeze for years, yet we don't lose anyone and we keep bringing in really good mature talent. I think we will have some room, otherwise why chase a top player? I think we are fine.

What draft chance?

Have you seen/read how much garbage there is in this years draft??
There's garbage in every draft but it's a failure of logic to suggest there won't better prospects available and that there is no use in taking the punt. We currently have a first round draft pick that we theoretically don't need to use on the better Camporeale. We also don't know where the other one will go in the draft, we still could get a pick in in-between as well.

It would be stupid not to exploit that while we still have the chance.

Impossible not to like Owies and I hope we keep him...but I think it's important to keep perspective too. He's statistically near identical to last year in a better functioning team. He's also in a position of relative depth for us.

If another team offers a contract that is too rich for our blood it should be goodbye and good luck.

I don't like the idea of 18 year olds being tied to any club/part of the country for 3 years that they have no input in the decision, 2 years maximum for all sounds fairer to me.
I understand that clubs like to get a return on their investment, but I doubt that the AFLPthingy would support 3 year contracts for draftees.
It tends to favour the clubs heavily, 'like wanting their cake, and eating it also'. "We'll tie down the high draft picks, but won't take the same risk with speculating on the rest".
It is 100% their choice to nominate for the draft; if they aren’t ready to move then don’t nominate. They already have 3 year contracts for first round

Impossible not to like Owies and I hope we keep him...but I think it's important to keep perspective too. He's statistically near identical to last year in a better functioning team. He's also in a position of relative depth for us.

If another team offers a contract that is too rich for our blood it should be goodbye and good luck.

Was thinking the same thing. He’s not Cyril Rioli.

Was a left field pick and given a chance by the Blues. In a sense I think he owies us () and I reckon any contract north of $200k is still bloody good coin for him - even for the next 2 years and then see where he is at.

However if a team offers a lot more then let him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's garbage in every draft but it's a failure of logic to suggest there won't better prospects available and that there is no use in taking the punt. We currently have a first round draft pick that we theoretically don't need to use on the better Camporeale. We also don't know where the other one will go in the draft, we still could get a pick in in-between as well.

It would be stupid not to exploit that while we still have the chance.

There is NO punt.

We use our first pick on best available at Campo’s for the rest, unless a gun wants to come to us, then all bets are off…

Was thinking the same thing. He’s not Cyril Rioli.

Was a left field pick and given a chance by the Blues. In a sense I think he owies us () and I reckon any contract north of $200k is still bloody good coin for him - even for the next 2 years and then see where he is at.

However if a team offers a lot more then let him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The average salary is mid $400's even taking into account the 10 or so players that wont get a senior game. That will go up next year with salary cap going up by $2mill +.

Any player who is a regular senior player will be getting at least $400k per season. Owies will probably be offered over $500k to go elsewhere. Quite frankly a $200k offer would be an insult.

What draft chance?

Have you seen/read how much garbage there is in this years draft??
It is a good draft not to be picking at the pointy end IMO, but I actually think there is some great value around the under 18 teams.

Rebounding/distributing defenders.
Small forward options, both x-factor and genuine smart workers.
3rd tall forwards
Some value KPP, just have to sort the wheat from the chaff. Most slow burn, Trainor the only one at the pointy end.
Some quality wingers.
There are some quality mids, but I have trouble seeing any “greats”.
One very good ruck and a quality hybrid type.

Poster on the dogs board saying Garcia has burnt some bridges and is looking around end of year. He's a name I'd be happy looking at for cheap. Electric speed and can play a few different positions, bit chaotic in the way he plays though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back