List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, 10 of the 12 I listed should just go whether we get anything from them or not. We need to draft and develop some real talent. Our club has to be the worst in the league for hanging on to players who are either injury prone or not developing as expected.

I love Martin, and I seriously rate him as an absolute gun, but regardless what happens during Finals, we need to let him go.
His body is just too unreliable and now we have Elijah who is doing everything we wanted from Martin.

Owies is apparently getting big offers elsewhere so I say we get what we can from him, even though he's our best small forward. We can cover him. I think Jack Carroll has shown enough to say he'll be worth hanging on to and if the list is thinned I dare say extra game time will help him evolve his game.

Khamis I never really took any notice of until a couple of games ago when he played on Charlie.
I agree and think he's going to become a VG player.
I agree he is unreliable which is a damn shame, however I do think if we aren't carrying so many injury prone players, I would be happy to have him on the books. I mean he is a hell of player when fit and I think when u aren't carrying so many injury prone players every year, you are more forgiving of the one you have because of what he does bring when fit

I like to compare it with Jamie Elliot & Collingwood. Hell of player but always injured. They keep him on their list because of what he brings.

I agree he is unreliable which is a damn shame, however I do think if we aren't carrying so many injury prone players, I would be happy to have him on the books. I mean he is a hell of player when fit and I think when u aren't carrying so many injury prone players every year, you are more forgiving of the one you have because of what he does bring when fit

I like to compare it with Jamie Elliot & Collingwood. Hell of player but always injured. They keep him on their list because of what he brings.
Only problem is that Martin will cost a lot to keep on the books. I reckon Freo or someone would probably offer him more if his body holds up.

I'd love to have a list clean out, but something has to come back in. A big haul of teenagers is not going to win us a flag, quite the opposite.

There needs to be some balance. We need to bring in mature players as well this season along with some youth. 3 youngsters and three mature players. Something along those lines.

I'd love to have a list clean out, but something has to come back in. A big haul of teenagers is not going to win us a flag, quite the opposite.

There needs to be some balance. We need to bring in mature players as well this season along with some youth. 3 youngsters and three mature players. Something along those lines.
We’re in second spot, but you want to have a list clear out? Why? Who do you want to get rid of?

We’re in second spot, but you want to have a list clear out? Why? Who do you want to get rid of?
Martin, SDurdin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Akuei, Mirkov, Young, MCarroll would be nice

As gbat said though, not without bringing in some ready to go replacements. 7 draftees won't help us next year but moving some of them on would drastically improve our availability issues and depth depending on who we could bring in in their places.

Martin, SDurdin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Akuei, Mirkov, Young, Carroll would be nice

As gbat said though, not without bringing in some ready to go replacements. 7 draftees won't help us next year but moving some of them on would drastically improve our availability issues and depth depending on who we could bring in in their places.
I thought a "clean out" alluded to more changes than that.

So these are players unsigned beyond 2024 and I've added a couple of players that aren't holding their spots.
Owies & Martin the only players with any real currency, so not sure what that means for securing players from other clubs.
Drafting isn't going to change our fortunes next year, so Austin will need to pull out a couple of proverbial rabbits.

16 - Jack Carroll
21 - Jack Martin
22 - Caleb Marchbank
25 - Jaxon Binns
28 - David Cuningham
32 - Matthew Carroll
38 - Sam Durdin
41 - Domanic Akuei
44 - Matthew Owies
45 - Alex Mirkov

14 - Orazio Fantasia *2025
33 - Lewis Young *2026
Binns is contracted

Only problem is that Martin will cost a lot to keep on the books. I reckon Freo or someone would probably offer him more if his body holds up.
I wouldnt keep him on the books if his wage was ridiculous. Its were id get creative with the contract and put in games played incentives etc. He doesn't have to take it and can go elsewhere but i think its worth putting out there for his talent

I wouldnt keep him on the books if his wage was ridiculous. Its were id get creative with the contract and put in games played incentives etc. He doesn't have to take it and can go elsewhere but i think its worth putting out there for his talent
Agree, give him a low base contract with large incentives for games played. If he wants guaranteed money then let him go.

would any team even take on the lewis young contract. Pretty much would a team offer a 2 year deal if he was delisted?

IMO lots of clubs would be interested but I’d imagine we are in no hurry to get rid of him given he provides cover for 3 positions - at key defender, key forward and ruck - positions where we already have a lack of depth immediately capable of playing.

Not sure if possible but I think we need to clear the deck and make a serious play for an elite player to fill one of two important roles - burst mid or kpd

Then watch us go next season ☺️
Problem with going after an elite player is we probably already have more high end paid players and more low end paid players than most of not all clubs. The happy medium at Carlton seems nearly non existent when you really delve into it.

Cripps
Charlie
Harry
Walsh
TDK
Weitering

All 6 of these would be commanding 800k plus per season and I’m sure some over 1 million depending on the year of their contract.

We then would have players such as the following around 550k - 799k

Cerra
Docherty
Williams
Saad

Salary cap in 2024 is around 15.8 million and we probably have 5.5 - 6 tied up in the first 6 players I mentioned then close to 3 million over 4 players. Which means we have 7 ish million to spread over approx 30 - 35 players.

Adding another elite player just makes the gap between our stars and the lower end of our best 22 even further apart. I would much prefer a champion team rather than a team of champions.

I’d really like to see more of a spread over the next few years of more players on our list making around 450k - 600k rather than anymore commanding over 800k along with less commanding around 300k or so.

Even if the 6 players named at the start took 100k less a year each and the 4 I named next 50k less a year, this would give the club an additional 800k for 2025 along with the increase in cap space to come.

No doubt our stars could command higher dollar amounts if they left and went elsewhere so it’s been reported they are accepting less than market value to stay together, but still paying 6 guns close to 5.5 million a season really doesn’t allow too much wriggle room to poach elite players.

I’d most certainly put these players up for trade or out to pasture to free up more money at the end of this year and go to the draft along with chasing a player like Conor Stone and a older key back.

Martin
Cuningham
Marchbank
Kennedy
Fantasia
JCarroll
SDurdin
CDurdin
Akuei
Mirkov

It’s time to make some really tough calls and also really reign in our cap this off season imo. Most of the above are easy calls but Kennedy would be on around 500k and I think a slower player from our midfield needs to go. CDurdin another than would be on close to 400k a year but is behind Motlop and Owies.

Adding both Campos, Key Back, Conor Stone and some other draftees would put our club in a great spot dollar wise along with personal wise.

Fischer McAsey anyone? got a clearance to play at St.Kilda City for the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it time to do a Rory Lobb and have a look at Harry Lemmey as a KPD these last two months.

He’s a nice presence up forward in our VFL team but primarily we should be developing him to be a senior footballer. Feels like it’s a slowish burn for Lemmey as a future Key forward and at the moment we’re kinda desperate for a capable tall defender aren’t we?

Cant hurt to try?
Lemmey is no where near it in the strength department. 2 seasons away from playing as a KPD

I fail to believe there is not one single defender across all the state leagues that could provide a better option than Marchbank or Durdins, 3 games a year.

I would even prefer Haynes at age 32, from GWS, for 1 year as a back up. He is durable, relatively competent and has had his pay day.
Haynes to take sam durdins spot, I think that's a big upgrade

I fail to believe there is not one single defender across all the state leagues that could provide a better option than Marchbank or Durdins, 3 games a year.

I would even prefer Haynes at age 32, from GWS, for 1 year as a back up. He is durable, relatively competent and has had his pay day.
You’re saying that because most state league key defenders have never played a senior AFL game. The gulf in quality, required temprament, skill, mentality, judgement etc, between state and national comp is massive

Martin, SDurdin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Akuei, Mirkov, Young, MCarroll would be nice

Exactly. Problem is going to the draft, you replace these sometimes available players with draftees who simply are not available at all. Most draftees you wouldn't consider putting on an AFL field for 2 or 3 years.

If we had a big clean up like that, and that would be good. Some mature players have to come in. I'd be thinking 3 at the draft and 3 or 4 mature players. Problem is that is hard to do due to salary and trade currency.

Fischer McAsey anyone? got a clearance to play at St.Kilda City for the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

St Kilda city are Div 2 in the SFNL, a league that compared to some others, isn’t that strong.

St Kilda city are also second last in the second division, this isn’t a good sign of a players quality, commitment or desire.

You’re saying that because most state league key defenders have never played a senior AFL game. The gulf in quality, required temprament, skill, mentality, judgement etc, between state and national comp is massive

I don’t know about this, if this was the case,, wouldn’t the VFL, SANFL, WAFL teams of the year, just be full of players like Lewis Young and Durdin?

To add to this the FB and CHB in the last two VFL teams of the year, have been non listed players, same as the SANFL FB and CHB from last year.

Last edited:
Exactly. Problem is going to the draft, you replace these sometimes available players with draftees who simply are not available at all. Most draftees you wouldn't consider putting on an AFL field for 2 or 3 years.

If we had a big clean up like that, and that would be good. Some mature players have to come in. I'd be thinking 3 at the draft and 3 or 4 mature players. Problem is that is hard to do due to salary and trade currency.
Mature players doesn’t have to mean trades though, Geelong last year drafted Mannagh from Werribe, who in the last few games has been really good, Melbourne re drafted Marty Hore, you’ve got delisted free agents every season who find new homes.

So yeah I fully agree that you can’t replace the players with kids, but mature players doesn’t have to mean high $$$ recruits.

Let's work through this scenario for the sake of argument/I'm bored. That gives us 4 senior spots and 4 rookie spots.

4 senior spots:
  • 3 would go to draftees (first rounder plus Campo twins)
  • 1 remaining to fill a list need
  • Potential need to upgrade Boyd to the senior list - not sure on rules yet (thanks AFL lmao)

4 rookie spots:
  • Offer Jack Martin a rookie spot if his body holds up for the rest of the season/finals
  • Matt Duffy takes another spot
  • 2 remaining spots to take a risk on a kid or DFA/SSP

On that face of it, I would like to open up at least one more senior spot to chase other OOC for list needs. We could do this by trading J. Carroll/C. Durdin or delisting Fantasia. Trading draft capital is a concern as we don't have much. The names I'm looking at are below, one from each group would be ideal:

Mid
Riley Garcia

Forwards
Jacob Konstanty
Conor Stone
Bailey Banfield

KPDs
Dougal Howard
Harry Edwards
Adam Tomlinson
Jake Kolodjashnij
Mark Keane

Let's work through this scenario for the sake of argument/I'm bored. That gives us 4 senior spots and 4 rookie spots.

4 senior spots:
  • 3 would go to draftees (first rounder plus Campo twins)
  • 1 remaining to fill a list need
  • Potential need to upgrade Boyd to the senior list - not sure on rules yet (thanks AFL lmao)

4 rookie spots:
  • Offer Jack Martin a rookie spot if his body holds up for the rest of the season/finals
  • Matt Duffy takes another spot
  • 2 remaining spots to take a risk on a kid or DFA/SSP

On that face of it, I would like to open up at least one more senior spot to chase other OOC for list needs. We could do this by trading J. Carroll/C. Durdin or delisting Fantasia. Trading draft capital is a concern as we don't have much. The names I'm looking at are below, one from each group would be ideal:

Mid
Riley Garcia

Forwards
Jacob Konstanty
Conor Stone
Bailey Banfield

KPDs
Dougal Howard
Harry Edwards
Adam Tomlinson
Jake Kolodjashnij
Mark Keane