List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Berry and Cameron resign.

Charlies deal is too long. Two with a reasonable trigger would have been better.
Berry about 1 year too long for me. That happens with restricted free agents.

Fagan mentioned not long ago that a lot of player contracts now are too long.
But if you want to retain someone i suppose the club just has to do the best they can.

Hard to judge without knowing the finer details re price.

Charlie is a unicorn in terms of his commercial value and marketability.

Charlies deal is too long. Two with a reasonable trigger would have been better.

But if you want to retain someone i suppose the club just has to do the best they can.
Agree with you on this, however without knowing the finer financial details I would assume Charlie would not be on much above the minimum in his final year. Good to keep him around as he has shown some capacity as a mentor for our young developing forwards. Also, his final years Charlie may be good value in the ressies, much the same role Lyons is performing currently.

Berry, as you indicate, if we want to keep him and there's no doubt that we do, then an extra year is neither here nor there. I would assume it would be a teared type of contract to ensure TPP is in favor of the club.

If Mighty Lions was correct in saying that Gardiner was seriously contemplating retiring before his last contract due to his body always breaking down.
There is a chance that he may decide to pack it in at the end of the year which would open up another spot on the list if so.
Even if that happens, that list spot would need to go on another tall defender to replace Dizzy. Going into a season with Joyce and ZZ as the only tall defender depth would be suicidal.

I guess the extra length of these contracts might have something to do with the Tassie team coming in by 2028.

Lyons looking less than impressed at the Daly announcements of Bez and Charlies contract news.
Came here to say the same thing. It's a shame as the bloke has been a huge reason especially in 19/20/21 for our rise up the ladder. He should definitely be playing AFL as he is far too good for VFL.

At Springfield today I noticed him a few times on his own walking around instead of being with team mates. Maybe I caught him at bad times but his body language isn't amazing.

Came here to say the same thing. It's a shame as the bloke has been a huge reason especially in 19/20/21 for our rise up the ladder. He should definitely be playing AFL as he is far too good for VFL.

At Springfield today I noticed him a few times on his own walking around instead of being with team mates. Maybe I caught him at bad times but his body language isn't amazing.
I am sad for him as he was a large part of our rise up the ladder as you say, but in my eyes the game has unfortunately gone past him and we are a better team with a more youthful and mobile team.
I will be sad when his time is up.

That's a shame to hear. He's had a great career assisting us to where we are now and he's great to watch in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went from Leppitsch choking out zac o'brien to players desperate to stay at our club.

I think it's more need.

North have a good growing midfield. They don't need more mids, they need to build a defence and forward line, hence why Zur plays there (I don't watch a lot of North games, so I couldn't tell you if he could play out a full game as a mid).

That being said, not everyone needs to be a mid, some players either never can make it as a mid or do have the capacity, but don't due to effort or team need.

I'm of the mind that not everyone needs to be a mid. Rayner and Bailey can just stay as forwards and Fletcher can just stay as a winger (we need good wingers), but the coaches don't want that for better or worse.

Also, if you bring Zurharr in, where does he sit in the pecking order? Kai and McCarthy play the same position (there's already conflict there), Bailey and Rayner can't play in a team with Zur there in the forward line, does Ah Chee make way?

Additionally, I don't think Zurharr adds anything to the list that we don't already have. Only issue the list has is a lack of proper tall forwards (Morris doesn't count) if Daniher or Hippy were to go down, a young tall defender (who isn't Joyce or Gardiner) and a good second ruck to replace O.
Probably only if we thought Zurhaar could add to our midfield depth would he be worth seriously considering. But at his worst he fills that third tall position that current Gardiner and Morris have been playing. He is definitely a more reliable and quality player then either of them in that role, although who knows where Morris ceiling is at the moment.

If our best forward line (no injuries) was:
Dannihers Hipwood Cameron
Rayner McCarthy Bailey
Ah Chee Lohmann Morris (one of)
I think Zurhaar as a forward alone would be better then all except the first 3, and that's before you outline Fages requirement of having that third tall.

Our midfield of Neale / Dunkley / Berry / McCluggage / Ashcroft need better support from our HFF, it drops off very quickly from there (as we saw last year when Ashcroft went down). I still hope it's Rayner but I think Bailey needs to reinvent himself, a midfield of Neale / Ashcroft x2 / Bailey is far too slight IMO.

Probably only if we thought Zurhaar could add to our midfield depth would he be worth seriously considering. But at his worst he fills that third tall position that current Gardiner and Morris have been playing. He is definitely a more reliable and quality player then either of them in that role, although who knows where Morris ceiling is at the moment.

If our best forward line (no injuries) was:
Dannihers Hipwood Cameron
Rayner McCarthy Bailey
Ah Chee Lohmann Morris (one of)
I think Zurhaar as a forward alone would be better then all except the first 3, and that's before you outline Fages requirement of having that third tall.

Our midfield of Neale / Dunkley / Berry / McCluggage / Ashcroft need better support from our HFF, it drops off very quickly from there (as we saw last year when Ashcroft went down). I still hope it's Rayner but I think Bailey needs to reinvent himself, a midfield of Neale / Ashcroft x2 / Bailey is far too slight IMO.
Zurhaar's better than Rayner but not that much better.

Zac needs a clear role and not just the guy who amazes once a quarter every 4 games but mostly can't tackle or break them.

He should have shown a lot more by now. Maybe he'll get there.

Zac needs a clear role and not just the guy who amazes once a quarter every 4 games but mostly can't tackle or break them.

Bailey could also be one that could replace Zorko with that distribution role off half back. He did it early on in his career.

Do you think Zurhaar would have much success in the midfield? Would you rate him as a better upside there in comparison to Rayner?

Bailey could also be one that could replace Zorko wth that distribution role off half back. He did early on his career.

Do you thnk Zurhaar would have much success in the midfield? Would you rate him as a there comparison to Rayner?
Maybe re Zac though he'll never be comparable to Zorks.

Rayner's younger than Zurhaar and not much between them . Doubt they'll be on ballers except cameo roles . As we have Rayner already don't see we need Zurhaar but he'd be handy nonetheless. Better upside ?? Don't really know. Hard to get a handle on Cam and who knows whether Zurhaar would be better in a good team rather than doing donkey work in a very poor one.

That said … people will remember Bailey getting run down by Viney in the last, against Melbourne, but I’ve watched and rewatched that quarter at least 5 times and Bailey’s physical pressure was huge in some clutch moments. He is not in his best form / most consistent form at the minute, but he’s not far off. Admittedly, he’s never going to be a Dunkley or Lester when it comes to tackling, but it is an area where he can still develop. The issue with Bailey is that he is not a midfielder and is exposed when playing in the middle. He is an absolute natural on the half forward flank and should play his career there.

Last edited:
Back