List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

JL's already had 4 when only 2 were warranted. Much and all that he's been a stalwart when needed.

He must be deluded
I think JL has ‘checked out’ at the Lions. I love him, but I have sat in enough staff meetings over the last 35 years as a teacher to know the signs. His body language is not what you would hope for in this clip.

That said … people will remember Bailey getting run down by Viney in the last, against Melbourne, but I’ve watched and rewatched that quarter at least 5 times and Bailey’s physical pressure was huge in some clutch moments. He is not in his best form at the minute, but he’s not far off. Admittedly, he’s never going to be a Dunkley or Lester when it comes to tackling, but it is an area where he can still develop. The issue with Bailey is that he is not a midfielder and is exposed when playing in the middle. He is an absolute natural on the half forward flank and should play his career there.
Yes the Bailey “lack of pressure acts” discussion is slightly over blown.

Yes the Bailey “lack of pressure acts” discussion is slightly over blown.

I think the pressure acts are ok, it's completing tackles which should be completed that's the issue

He did have some good moments in the last however. Give him a week as the sub and bring him on fresh to see what he can do

I think the pressure acts are ok, it's completing tackles which should be completed that's the issue

He did have some good moments in the last however. Give him a week as the sub and bring him on fresh to see what he can do
Bailey is a GUN - he should never be considered as a Sub. Like Cameron, he has not been at his best this season, but playing full games will help him recapture peak form. I imagine Fagan would be looking at Bailey and employing the same strategy he has in place for Cam Rayner.

Last edited:
The days of Bailey being a gun are over on anything I've seen over the last few weeks . He costs us with lax tackling efforts and doesn't compensate by giving us enough offensively.

Obviously he might find some of his old form at any time but when he does he needs to up the ante on the areas where he contributes little.

If he's a small forward then he needs to work a lot harder on keeping the ball in the forward line . He's not a midfielder, potentially I suppose he could play other positions.

There is genuine competition for his spot . We'd all like to see him back in form plus doing some things he hasn't been good at.

I think JL has ‘checked out’ at the Lions. I love him, but I have sat in enough staff meetings over the last 35 years as a teacher to know the signs. His body language is not what you would hope for in this clip.

Dude's had a pretty good career if he's exiting the game at 32. 194 games, 3 clubs, two Marcus Ashcroft Medals, and one J.J Liston Trophy.

Dude's had a pretty good career if he's exiting the game at 32. 194 games, 3 clubs, two Marcus Ashcroft Medals, and one J.J Liston Trophy.
Yep. As I said, I love JL. I would love to see him in the senior side, which is a minority position, I know. Problem is that he really only comes in if there is an injury to Neale or Dunkley.

The days of Bailey being a gun are over on anything I've seen over the last few weeks . He costs us with lax tackling efforts and doesn't compensate by giving us enough offensively.

Obviously he might find some of his old form at any time but when he does he needs to up the ante on the areas where he contributes little.

If he's a small forward then he needs to work a lot harder on keeping the ball in the forward line . He's not a midfielder, potentially I suppose he could play other positions.

There is genuine competition for his spot . We'd all like to see him back in form plus doing some things he hasn't been good at.

He was fantastic against Port?

Lyons has also been shifted out of the first string midfield in the 2s. Clearly the club has gone past him
I agree. He is like a “spare tyre” on the list at the moment. He might not be used this season, but we are safer with him on the list for now.

Zac Bailey's best position is as a small forward, if played in that role he would be a 40+ goal a year player.

Charlie, Kai and Zac would be a fantastic trio up front.

I actually think we are seeing an uptick in his form. He was out of form earlier in the season when the rest of the team was. Had a decent spell on the sidelines with injury and is now building his form. Will take some time, ala McKenna.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he had his 2 goals from the Grand Final on repeat during the off season and drunk a bit too much bath water as a result.
But to say his days are over is a bit premature.
Basically the whole team was out of form at the start of the year, but now we have 4 players left to turn around, Bailey, Cameron and McKenna and Rayner, all are still not consistent enough but we still have some time to turn them around because we will need all hands on deck come September, if we make it of course.

He was fantastic against Port?
Yes Nunez, he was great against Port - 26 disposals, kicked a goal and had two effective tackles.

He’ll be right - I say again, he is a GUN!

Yep. As I said, I love JL. I would love to see him in the senior side, which is a minority position, I know. Problem is that he really only comes in if there is an injury to Neale or Dunkley.

I don't think thats true anymore. With Will back and Berry capable of playing meaningful inside mid minutes, I don't think he would get a lookin. We'd just move other magnets around. Has had a great career and love what he has done for the club but I don't think he is able to play at AFL level anymore...which happens, he's 32 this month...

Zac Bailey's best position is as a small forward, if played in that role he would be a 40+ goal a year player.

Charlie, Kai and Zac would be a fantastic trio up front.
With Ashcroft back and Berry able to spend much more time in there now, we really don’t need to see Bailey in the middle anymore.
Especially with Rayner spending a little time in there as well.

Speaking of GUNS - Bruce Reville was AWESOME against Melbourne. When Coleman comes back Reville goes straight into the mid-field rotations. His work around the ball is fantastic. He needs to work on his hands, but his physical presence, speed, vision and kicking are first rate.

I don't think thats true anymore. With Will back and Berry capable of playing meaningful inside mid minutes, I don't think he would get a lookin. We'd just move other magnets around. Has had a great career and love what he has done for the club but I don't think he is able to play at AFL level anymore...which happens, he's 32 this month...
I’m a nostalgic at heart. I know.

With Ashcroft back and Berry able to spend much more time in there now, we really don’t need to see Bailey in the middle anymore.
Especially with Rayner spending a little time in there as well.
All good forward lines have a small pest.

It's actually a bit of a problem having too many guns.

I agree Bails form had been on a bit of an uptick even though everyone had a great game against Port, until last week where I had some hands to the head moments.

His best games are when the team's playing well . When the pressure's on we need him harassing and tackling with a lot more purpose.

Sure he can be a very good player , I'd love to see a more rounded one in the roles that he plays

I think Bails best football is right up their in the comp for HFF. But we do have a bit of a squeeze in that role. If everyone is fit next year then somehow need to fit Rayner, Linc, Lohman, Bruce, Bailey, Ah Chee, Levi (maybe) and then a bunch of the mids like McCluggage rotating through the HFF spots. Might even have Zorko running around again as well. There is enough competition that someone has to miss out and Bailey's form isnt the best this year.

In addition to that I dont think Bailey is big enough or consistent enough for a permanent inside mid role, similarly I dont think he is a great winger as he probably doesnt do the defensive transition running. He can pinch hit a little in those roles but often feel I would prefer several others to have a go there before him.

Maybe he had his 2 goals from the Grand Final on repeat during the off season and drunk a bit too much bath water as a result.
But to say his days are over is a bit premature.
Basically the whole team was out of form at the start of the year, but now we have 4 players left to turn around, Bailey, Cameron and McKenna and Rayner, all are still not consistent enough but we still have some time to turn them around because we will need all hands on deck come September, if we make it of course.
When the season starts September can seem such a long way off, not now.

I am starting to have a really good feeling about how our season could end up, we seem to be timing our run perfectly, multiple players coming into form after a slow start to the season at the right time, and the 4 players you mention are all showing signs of getting back to their best, just need no more injuries to vital cogs in our team.

The finishing line is coming into sight and we are turning for home, the players can smell September.

I think only one person is questioning Bailey's spot in the team going forward but the real focus is current form which pushes him out of the 22
I'm not questioning his spot in the team overall in form , just saying right now he hasn't been offering a whole lot and the time has come for him to put work into the area of his game where he lets himself down.

He's not 21 and 'gunna be anything' any more.

Back