List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Or we get him fit and gain a gun on chips

Then we look like geniuses

This is the equivalent of buying a cheap and rusty 20 year old Maserati, with the thought that you can fully restore it to showroom condition as a side project...

What's been Martin's most serious injury? Is his lack of durability over a season caused by some major past injury that is recurring or is it a constant series of various short term injuries?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it'll be that straight forward, reckon we are looking at 300k then heavily incentivised on games, in which case he will be worth it when he plays games
300?? ….200 would be a joke!

And that’s just it people carrying on it’s a free it .
There’s no such thing in this case .

if nod leaves because he doesn’t accept freos offer due to them offering him peanuts because they want to bring Jack Martin in then in no way shape or form is Martin a free hit then

Or .. we have to hand over more draft capital to get Boltens salary down instead of using Martin’s money and just taking an extra draft pick (who will actually be on minimal wages) then again it’s not a free hit

Finally what about if (extremely likely) Martin ends up in rehab using up finite resources that could be better directed to others or simply being in rehab majority of the year all together?. basically his entire wage becomes a debt , that could’ve been better spent elsewhere

This idea the blokes a free hit is absolute misnomer

Martin and Sonny will be some pretty good role models/uncles for the guys we are looking to get in (Kozzy and Bolten) and potentially some kids in the draft etc. An area we have been a bit short on lately. Having blokes like that in and around the club are vital going forwards
This is the one reason I don't mind Sonny staying on.

Don't enough about Martin to tell if he has any leadership qualities but we know Sonny has that in spades.

To be clear AVERAGE afl salary is $440k.
By 2027 ~ $520k. So Martin on 2 years at $400k is a below average salary. Those saying $200k is what a first year player gets…

So below average salary , for a DFA ie costs zero picks for two years. I’m in the get Martin camp. I’ll be his buddy next year too.
Zero risk here , 95% upside. Proven AFL talent,Worse case plays 10 games in 2 years 5% chance he blows his calves and retires/LTI. Assume this is exactly why we do a significant medical before trade, either way still has better skills than 95% of the 18yo fourth round picks.

Last edited:
By 2027 ~ $520k. So Martin on 2 years at $400k is a below average salary. Those saying $200k is what a first year player gets…

So below average salary , for a DFA ie costs zero picks for two years. I’m in the get Martin camp. I’ll be his buddy next year too.
Zero risk here , 95% upside. Proven AFL talent,Worse case plays 10 games in 2 years 5% chance he blows his calves and retires/LTI. Assume this is exactly why we do a significant medical before trade, either way still has better skills than 95% of the 18yo fourth round picks.

Average means nothing. It's a magic trick, the vast majority of AFL players even well under the average.

I'm fairly somewhat ok with taking the swing in as far as no cost to get him and the list spot management is done crafty like. There's gold in them thar hills.

I'd just be wary (superstitious) of him spending the first 2/3 of the season in rehab, coming in for a 5-7 games of good footy, which forces someone developing out, only for him to break down on the eve of finals. We're then left scrambling to get someone up to speed.

I'm fairly somewhat ok with taking the swing in as far as no cost to get him and the list spot management is done crafty like. There's gold in them thar hills.

I'd just be wary (superstitious) of him spending the first 2/3 of the season in rehab, coming in for a 5-7 games of good footy, which forces someone developing out, only for him to break down on the eve of finals. We're then left scrambling to get someone up to speed.

I like the idea of inviting him to train, plus 2 or 3 mature age players and the best player gets it.

Yep. Do they release median & modal salaries? I'd bet they're low $300s/high $200s.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

For 2023, the average salary was 440k, but the most heavily populated bracket was 100-200k. Followed by 200-300k. I would guess the mode was around the 150k mark. The median (which in theory would be roughly the last player chosen in a best 18) would be around 400k.

And that's not including rookie listed players. The figures in the link above are for main list only. If you add 130 rookies, the mode would move closer to 100k and the median would be low 300's. That median would now be someone in theory that is last selected in a best 22/23.

Then there's the salary cap increase to account for. Contracts for Fyfe, JOM, Walters, Brodie, Aish, Erasmus (1st round picks get good deals). They might be above the median salary but outside the best 22 next year. We also have more than most clubs crammed in at the top end, leaving less room at the other end.

So in the terms of guys like Sturt and O'Driscoll ... they might scrape into the best 22, but I think would be below the median and 300k would be around the mark.

I'd say we got Sturt over the line with something like that. Might have a lower offer for Noddy (e.g. 250k, or 200k plus match payment incentives), and he could have a bit more guaranteed on the table (e.g. 350k) from elsewhere.

In the context of Martin, he would be even further down the pecking order. I'd say a fair offer would be around 150-175k with match payment incentives. His last contract was reported to be over $3 million total from Carlton, plus whatever GC paid him before that. Hopefully he has invested it wisely.

I like the idea of inviting him to train, plus 2 or 3 mature age players and the best player gets it.
Football-wise he's a proven entity. Don't think there's anyone we'd have in that list would even come close on that score.

Obviously extra time on the training track for any injury kinks to surface would be nice to hedge bets for us. It would open the door for others to swoop as well...effectively we'd be defacto hedging for everybody (with an interest and earlier picks).

Football-wise he's a proven entity. Don't think there's anyone we'd have in that list would even come close on that score.

Obviously extra time on the training track for any injury kinks to surface would be nice to hedge bets for us. It would open the door for others to swoop as well...effectively we'd be defacto hedging for everybody (with an interest and earlier picks).

I think he is one injury from retirement. At least if he is injury free for 2 months he is half a chance of having a good year.

I would love to know the success rate in signing delisted players.

I think mature agers would have a higher success rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back