List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I admit thats fitter than last time I saw him !
I thought he more than held his own against SANFL's best ruckman man mountain Harry Boyd in the ruck contests in the State game between the SANFL and the VFL as well. Certainly matched Boyd for strength which Strachan has found difficult when matched up on Boyd.

If a player believes the club will deliberately drop them to avoid them hitting a performance clause then I’d say it would have the opposite effect. Pretty hard for the coach to preach team values and then do that.
So when it happened to Henderson in 2016 it affected our push for the 2017 flag?

If a player believes the club will deliberately drop them to avoid them hitting a performance clause then I’d say it would have the opposite effect. Pretty hard for the coach to preach team values and then do that.
Again if you perform it makes it hard to be dropped and its justified

I have been thinking about the James Peatling trade and hold up over haggling about the 'Steak Knife' picks and the impact on the Father Son bidding for Tyler Welsh.

If I have my maths wrong please correct me without the ridicule.

After Round 1 discount is 197 points

Adelaide currently has Picks 4, 46 & 64. Pick 46 valued at 331 points & Pick 64 valued at 101 points with total value 432 pts. This cover Pick 30 - 629 points and below.

GWS want our Pick 46 and no pick back which leaves Adelaide exposed at Pick 49 - 287 points.

Guessing on other FS & Academy

Brisbane - 2 probable 1st Rounders 7 picks with 2472 pts
Gold Coast Suns - Lombard probable 1st Round with picks 29, 41, 50 has Pick 7 covered.
Essendon - Isaac Kako possible 1st Round and may be required to split Pick 9. Other pick is 31 which is 629 points.

This is 12 picks for 4 players.

If this happens even with Pick 64 moves to Pick 56 this covers a bid for Pick 43.

I agree he’s a great state league player , he’s have to be hungry to commit to fitness is my view . Doesn’t look afl . Makes Sean Darcy look fit
yeh hes too fat

id go boyd from norwood long before crossley. both only 198cm

would definitely take a punt on boyd if he wanted it which ive heard some say he doesn't. better than strachan thats for sure.

To do with age and renowned issues with physical prep to get his body right , writing was on the wall

As I said at the time he’d have 30 games left at absolute max

Extreme overs anyway you look , neutral observers calling it overs from the start

melb supporters reckon he’s hopeless but I think he will bounce back a bit next year
At the time it would’ve looked like McAdam for 35-ish - a pretty good deal, but nothing outstanding. Keep in mind that in the games he played last year (although it wasn’t many), he looked pretty solid - would’ve been even better if he wasn’t suspended R1 and his momentum into the year was halted

But yeah, there was an element of risk/reward behind Melb trading for him, and it didn’t work out for them at all (mainly as it ended up being a straight ANB for Shane swap)

I have been thinking about the James Peatling trade and hold up over haggling about the 'Steak Knife' picks and the impact on the Father Son bidding for Tyler Welsh.

If I have my maths wrong please correct me without the ridicule.

After Round 1 discount is 197 points

Adelaide currently has Picks 4, 46 & 64. Pick 46 valued at 331 points & Pick 64 valued at 101 points with total value 432 pts. This cover Pick 30 - 629 points and below.

GWS want our Pick 46 and no pick back which leaves Adelaide exposed at Pick 49 - 287 points.

Guessing on other FS & Academy

Brisbane - 2 probable 1st Rounders 7 picks with 2472 pts
Gold Coast Suns - Lombard probable 1st Round with picks 29, 41, 50 has Pick 7 covered.
Essendon - Isaac Kako possible 1st Round and may be required to split Pick 9. Other pick is 31 which is 629 points.

This is 12 picks for 4 players.

If this happens even with Pick 64 moves to Pick 56 this covers a bid for Pick 43.
gws will give us 53 and 56 back id say

or perhaps we arent picking welsh. have we considered that? it would be stupid but stupid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knobel is still out of contract so he's the obvious one in that regard but you'd think Freo would be hanging on to him, just strange he's still out of contract.

Brayden Crossley is the best ruck not on an AFL list currently if mature aged is the requisite, he's definitely plug and play.

Can’t say I’ve watched much Crossley (I know he’s highly regarded) but do you think there’s much development left in him?

With our list squeeze we have we don’t have the luxury to separately get a better ready-made back-up and start developing ROB’s successor. We need one ruck that fits both bills. Knobel, Heath, Smith (though I agree with you that Smith will be hard to grab especially with Daniher’s retirement).

Correct.

Strachan fills an extremely niche position on our list - that of the low cost, mature, AFL-ready, backup ruckman. He follows on from the likes of Lowden and Graham, and his successor will be another in the same vein.

Strachan's replacement will not be a developing ruck, or someone we expect to take over from ROB in the mid-long term. He will be another break-glass-in-emergency ruck, who is never going to make it as an AFL ruckman, but who is good enough to serve as an emergency backup. Whether that player is 24 (and they're unlikely to be younger than that) or 28, they need to be low cost, both in terms of draft capital and salary.
But Strachan is not AFL ready as he can't run out 4 quarters.

This is why we need to find someone else.

Can’t say I’ve watched much Crossley (I know he’s highly regarded) but do you think there’s much development left in him?

With our list squeeze we have we don’t have the luxury to separately get a better ready-made back-up and start developing ROB’s successor. We need one ruck that fits both bills. Knobel, Heath, Smith (though I agree with you that Smith will be hard to grab especially with Daniher’s retirement).
There’s no development in him but he’s played afl ok and he’d be a decent back up / stop gap

Only if he was willing to work super hard and get really fit

I reckon strauchan better if only he’d get really fit and do some weights etc

There’s no development in him but he’s played afl ok and he’d be a decent back up / stop gap

Agree that Strachan’s main hold back is his fitness and strength but he’s approaching his seventh preseason. Don’t think it’s ever happening now.

Too late for that unfortunately, turned 29 only last week.

Crossley only turned 25 in August.

Harry Boyd turned 26 in February so 27 for next season.

Of corse there's the MSD optrion of picking up Harry Boyd as a back up for later in the season and next year just for the shits and giggles to see the Redlegs supporters' melts especially on here.

Last edited:
Too late for that unfortunately, turned 29 only last week.

Crossley only turned 25 in August.

Harry Boyd turned 26 in February so 27 for next season.

Of corse there's the MSD optrion of picking up Harry Boyd as a back up for later in the season and next year just for the shits and giggles to see the Redlegs supporters' melts especially on here.
we should get boyd now

And effectively paying 2 salaries for the one spot...nope.
hmmm you suggest MSD for boyd if theres an injury. if ROB goes down thats up to 12 losses before MSD. id rather pay a small salary and not write off another year. it makes zero sense what they are doing. and ROB might be overtaken by boyd anyway....

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back