List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that how it works?

So if we want to pay out a 2025 contract early and delist the player we have to do it in the 2024 cap?

Can we not pay them their contract in 2025, included in our 2025 salary cap payments but with them not taking up a list spot?
Unfortunately not. While there is an AFL discretion, the rule is all lump sum payments on termination of contract are taken to be paid in the year the contract is terminated (R28.22).

If Strachan gets another contract I'm loading up the trailer with horseshit and heading over to dump it at the front door of the AFC.
I have never suggested that he would or should get a new contract, beyond his current one (which expires next year).

Is that how it works?

So if we want to pay out a 2025 contract early and delist the player we have to do it in the 2024 cap?
Yes, and it has always been that way.
Can we not pay them their contract in 2025, included in our 2025 salary cap payments but with them not taking up a list spot?
No. This is why clubs are sometimes forced to keep retired players on their lists - as we did with Gibbs, and Brisbane famously did with Michael Voss. Adelaide couldn't afford to include Gibbs' payout in their salary cap, so they put him on the rookie list, then the Inactive List, and filled the vacancy in the PSSP.

... but you can't do that with delisted players. The whole point of delisting them is to get them off the list.

With the retirements of Walker and Smith, and the probable (voluntary or involuntary) departures of Burgess, Strachan, Murphy, Crouch, and Milera, and the potential for O'Brien, Schoenberg, Taylor, and Bond to also be on that list, there's no shortage of options for list turnover next year, but I just don't see them having the vision or desire to pay any of them out one year ahead of time. They don't actually want to get rid of any of them, never do until pushed.

The one that makes the most sense to move on for space now is Milera, as his time with us is long since up and it'd be a pre-agency trade, but with him being injured yet again, no one will actually give us anything of value for him. We're just going to have to tell him early next year that he won't be extended (we'll never do that though), and to start exploring his free agency options sooner rather than later (hopefully he does this on his own).

Last edited:
With the retirements of Walker and Smith, and the probable (voluntary or involuntary) departures of Burgess, Strachan, Murphy, Crouch, and Milera, and the potential for O'Brien, Schoenberg, Taylor, and Bond to also be on that list, there's no shortage of options for list turnover next year, but I just don't see them having the vision or desire to pay any of them out one year ahead of time. They don't actually want to get rid of any of them, never do until pushed.

The one that makes the most sense to move on for space now is Milera, as his time with us is long since up and it'd be a pre-agency trade, but with him being injured yet again, no one will actually give us anything of value for him. We're just going to have to tell him early next year that he won't be extended (we'll never do that though), and to start exploring his free agency options sooner rather than later (hopefully he does this on his own).
Every chance Smith and Schoenberg are on the rookie list next year.

So in terms of main list changes Tex, Burgess, Strachan, Murphy are the only obvious moves. And even then you'd think they'd give Murphy another year.

Crouch if he plays most of the year will probably result in a one year extension.

Milera if he can get fit and play some games in second half of year (looking good) I think he'd rather stay at the Crows even if it's for a small deal.

I don't think they'll be wanting to be making too many list changes next year.

Maybe a free agent, F1 or traded in player, F3 and father son in, and possibly a rookie upgrade.
So Max 5 changes.

Chatting to a Crows mate today - we both agreed, can't remember that last time we have traded a player away and got genuine overs for them. Like proper 'made out like bandits' overs....

we always seem to pay fair premium market rates for players but just cant seem to get lucky with a trade our way or the BS 'Band 1' compo crap the VFL dishes up. :embarrassedv1:

Last year, Melbourne's future 2nd for McAdam.

Last year, Melbourne's future 2nd for McAdam.

I'll partly concede on McAdam but it was only slightly overs IMO as McAdam had some handy games in 2022/23 and Melb were desperate for forwards.

I'm more talking about a deal where we get a first round pick for McHenry sort of thing.

Like Freo getting pick 2 for Lachie Weller sort of level of trade in our favour. :$ :$ :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given we are a ROB injury away from ruining a season, surely we should be looking to get another ruckman on our list.
That's the scary part.
We have a ruck who really should be replaced, but his backup is uncompetitive at AFL level.
Even if you drafted an 18 year old we would be in the same position given they'd be 3 years of development away.

Possible Draper rumours isnt the stupidest idea so that they battle it out and one of them becomes the backup.
Whilst also looking for a young developing ruck - Goad or Dobson.

Given we are a ROB injury away from ruining a season, surely we should be looking to get another ruckman on our list.
If not I'd be hoping they put a lot of work into Murray Jr's ruck craft this upcoming pre-season and give him a lot more exposure at SANFL because he's the future not Strachan until we actually recruit or draft a ruck.

If not I'd be hoping they put a lot of work into Murray Jr's ruck craft this upcoming pre-season and give him a lot more exposure at SANFL because he's the future not Strachan until we actually recruit or draft a ruck.
Just the bits a pieces I've seen Murray jnr looks more like a forward/ruck than a ruck/forward.

I.e. Thilthorpe backup, or future Tex replacement if Welsh doesn't come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back