List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we want to delist end of this year? I would like to see peoples take.
Heres mine. Obviously all wont be cut because this is almost half the bloody list which is damning.

Brodie Smith will be resigned unfortunately, because we are the softest club in the land
Riley O'Brien cut up his contract, pay him out and look him in the eye and tell him to go be the best doctor in the land
Chris Burgess delist, he sucks
Elliott Himmelberg delist, had far too long on the list
Hugh Bond delist
James Borlase resign
Lachlan Gollant resign
Lachlan Sholl trade/delist
Lachlan Murphy delist, back to CROM MANIA you go.
Ned McHenry delist, go be the best fisherman in the sea
Patrick Parnell delist
Rory Sloane retired
Sam Berry resign
Taylor Walker retired, thanks for the memories champ
Will Hamill resign
Thought I'd try to respond to this, so I went and looked at the list, and there are 15 players that I would try to retire/trade/delist.

Obviously that list is WAAAY to large. So not all of them can go.

However, other than the retirees (Walker, Smith, Sloane), if we can get anything good at the trade table for any of them, we should.

I'd also try to trade some players with a bit more value out. I'd look at one of Laird or Crouch, and one of Butts or Keane. Also I'd trade ROB out if we can trade in a decent Ruck.

That list is:

Jeez, youre right. Just watched his draft video below. Great recruit, what have we done? The OG Dan Curtin

It's one thing to work on draftees minor deficiences in their game re AFL when we first bring them in but we seem to be making a habit of taking away all their natural instincts and flair...Jordan Butts and Chayce Jones 2 prime examples and sadly Josh Rachele seems to be heading in that direction. Re Jordan Butts in his underage year he led the intercept marking count for most of the year in the then NAB League and consistently played on and took the game on, kicking was good and showed his versatility with his ability to play multiple roles back, forward or wing, even did a bit of chop out ruck.
What is he now? A dour KPD that appears reluctant to take the game on...it has to be all to do with our development or how we want them to play.

Not convinced that we're not trying the same "development" path with Dan Curtin, surely if we're set on him having an AFL career as a defender it has to be at CHB not at full back/last line of defence where he seems to spend a hell of a lot of time in the SANFL currently?

It's one thing to work on draftees minor deficiences in their game re AFL when we first bring them in but we seem to be making a habit of taking away all their natural instincts and flair...Jordan Butts and Chayce Jones 2 prime examples and sadly Josh Rachele seems to be heading in that direction. Re Jordan Butts in his underage year he led the intercept marking count for most of the year in the then NAB League and consistently played on and took the game on, kicking was good and showed his versatility with his ability to play multiple roles back, forward or wing, even did a bit of chop out ruck.
What is he now? A dour KPD that appears reluctant to take the game on...it has to be all to do with our development or how we want them to play.

Not convinced that we're not trying the same "development" path with Dan Curtin, surely if we're set on him having an AFL career as a defender it has to be at CHB not at full back/last line of defence where he seems to spend a hell of a lot of time in the SANFL currently?
It says to me that there is a clear disconnect between what Ogilvie likes and what the coaches want.

Ogilvie sees the players going for it, playing on instinct and flair and loves it.

Our coaches get them in and immediately get onto driving all of those attributes out of them "Learn to keep shape before you worry about getting the ball kid!"

I hate this club.
And yet I'll never stop supporting it.
Which makes me hate it more.

Given all the draft picks we've had in recent years, it's staggering that the two best players on our list were developed elsewhere. Not sure home many more SA homesickness players are available. I see Hayward has signed for five years (career) at the Swans today, obviously didn't see home town Crows as a viable option to finish his career!

Don't credit Nicks with Dawson in the middle either, he was getting BOGs in the NEAFL playing mids before Swans senior action at HB, but finished the last half of his final season there on a wing, placing second in their B&F. Nicks just wasted Dawson's first season here playing back saving Nicks arze

There's a massive lack of leaders on our list, the leadership group is a joke, Dawson the only true leader among them.

The club thinks we're 90% finished assembling a flag team, just need a couple of good trade ins to finish it off - tell 'em they're dreaming

Footy Classified last night said we offered 2 first rounders for him. Our club has rocks in its head. Melbourne must be kicking itself now. They will struggle to get a second atm.
Thank God Melbourne got greedy and saved us from ourselves.

Last edited:
Footy Classified last night said we offered 2 first rounders for him. Our club has rocks in its head. Melbourne must be kicking itself now. They will struggle to get a second atm.
Thank f*** Melbourne held out.

Was a poorly thought out shy at the stumps in desperation to do anything last trade period. Need a major and realistic recalibration of where our list really is at. Only two A graders and falls away in quality and unproveness rapidly after that

thankfully he did play at half back on the weekend and looked better for it.

this x1000
at the moment I wouldn't even want him as a FA next year.
horrible decision by melb to not trade him to us suckers

He had no pre season and been injured. For Melbourne it was that they are/were in the window in the next few years so needed him more so than they needed the draft picks.

Also from our side there could of been more to it than two first round picks.

I don't disagree with you but I can see why both sides did what they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am still trying to work out why we chose baby John Burgess to help with our forward line. He is the wrong age demographic and has serious defects in this game - lack of pace and poor recovery - which are not going to improve at age 28. Was it because there was no-one available after Chol was taken by Hawthorn and we had to be seen to grab someone to appease the fans and supporters. I didn't like what i saw from day 1 at practice. Did we ever look at young Dear? He looks every part an AFL player.

I would have tried to get Jeremy Sharp instead. He had and has exciting pace and skills which were never probably utilized at GC over his time there. He was a very good under age footballer and the type and age of player we should try and get into the club to reinforce our list. I know the WA clubs were the more likely choices but it would not hurt to try. What was GC thinking not playing this boy?

Lets hope the team does not panic and try and pick up players this year for the sake of it and trying to look as though they are doing something. This is a strong draft and we need to pick the eyes out of it if we have favorable picks. A Draper, Welsh, Bradley tri fecta would be a great start.

Maybe look at a Perryman and/or Cumming from GWS , who could add some quality to our backline, without losing draft picks.

Maybe try and pick up a Ned Moyle from GC and use picks for Dragon as part of the deal. If not him there must be another young ruckman who we could entice to the club. I am not sure how young smith is going from Brisbane.

There must be players at GC such as Jeffrey, Rojas etc that are in the right demographic and arent getting a game that we could extricate.

I would look at Darcy and Arty Jones from GWS and Bulldogs to get some much needed pace into our side in the forward line. Make Darcy an offer he could not refuse.

Hi Jonny, My name is Mr Godden, I'll be your coach for the next couple of years
Looney Tunes Running GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

i am still trying to work out why we chose baby John Burgess to help with our forward line. He is the wrong age demographic and has serious defects in this game - lack of pace and poor recovery - which are not going to improve at age 28. Was it because there was no-one available after Chol was taken by Hawthorn and we had to be seen to grab someone to appease the fans and supporters. I didn't like what i saw from day 1 at practice. Did we ever look at young Dear? He looks every part an AFL player.

I would have tried to get Jeremy Sharp instead. He had and has exciting pace and skills which were never probably utilized at GC over his time there. He was a very good under age footballer and the type and age of player we should try and get into the club to reinforce our list. I know the WA clubs were the more likely choices but it would not hurt to try. What was GC thinking not playing this boy?

Lets hope the team does not panic and try and pick up players this year for the sake of it and trying to look as though they are doing something. This is a strong draft and we need to pick the eyes out of it if we have favorable picks. A Draper, Welsh, Bradley tri fecta would be a great start.

Maybe look at a Perryman and/or Cumming from GWS , who could add some quality to our backline, without losing draft picks.

Maybe try and pick up a Ned Moyle from GC and use picks for Dragon as part of the deal. If not him there must be another young ruckman who we could entice to the club. I am not sure how young smith is going from Brisbane.

There must be players at GC such as Jeffrey, Rojas etc that are in the right demographic and arent getting a game that we could extricate.

I would look at Darcy and Arty Jones from GWS and Bulldogs to get some much needed pace into our side in the forward line. Make Darcy an offer he could not refuse.
Himmelberg is a free agent, we aren't going to get much more than a packet of chips for him in compo, never been a consistent best 22 player the whole time with us.

Henry Smith has done very little ruck work for the Lions VFL team, mainly seems to have been developed as a key forward with an odd stint down back though this year he seems to be doing a bit more time in the ruck.
but usually behind Darcy Fort and Kallin Lane even at VFL level. Athletic Saints ruck Max Heath is the one I'd have a serious look at, an excellent kick and offers plenty around the ground....and currently out of contract for 2025.

I think they saw Burgess as KPP depth both forward and back.

I'm just hoping the club is playing some 3d chess.

Pick up curtin, coverage for kdp stocks for a year while Murray gets sorted.

Trade to freo or West Coast for a pick good enough to get high in this year's draft for draper and extra pick in next year's draft to have a huge crack at getting in the hit zone for Sharp.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think there's a way to do both, but you need to be flexible, which we rarely are.

Say 1st quarter, OK Dan, you're playing a deep, heavily 1-1 defensive role on a dangerous forward. If we feel you're getting on top there and doing well we'll keep you there another quarter. Then 2nd half, we're gonna free you up, play to your strengths and have you be a QB across the half back line. End the game with him (hopefully) getting plenty of touches and doing really well so even if he stinks it up in his first assignment he's ending the game on a positive and with some good momentum behind him each week. Then you can review, adapt and action the next game.

I'm just hoping the club is playing some 3d chess.

Pick up curtin, coverage for kdp stocks for a year while Murray gets sorted.

Trade to freo or West Coast for a pick good enough to get high in this year's draft for draper and extra pick in next year's draft to have a huge crack at getting in the hit zone for Sharp.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's optimism and then there is whatever the hell this is!

If you're going to count Cook at pick 25 then why leave out Ryan and Edwards? They were technically first rounders too.

Cook was a first round draft pick in his year, 2020, due to the number of academy and compensation picks ahead of him. It's not the number when they are picked. Schoenberg was Pick 24 the year before and a second round pick. Ryan and Edwards were second round picks in their year

Cook was a first round draft pick in his year, 2020, due to the number of academy and compensation picks ahead of him. It's not the number when they are picked. Schoenberg was Pick 24 the year before and a second round pick. Ryan and Edwards were second round picks in their year
Wrong entirely. Edwards and Ryan are first rounders. Due to all the concessions, free agent compo, father-sons, and academy players round one pushed out to pick 29 in 2023.

Wrong entirely. Edwards and Ryan are first rounders. Due to all the concessions, free agent compo, father-sons, and academy players round one pushed out to pick 29 in 2023.
Still adjudged as the 21st and 27th player talent wise by the recruiters whether they're 1st rounders or 2nd rounders.

So you have been happy with Smith's form this year?

Comfortable we have returned him to defence after we moved him successfully to a wing last year?
Smith started badly/injured, was better post injury return, was mediocre last week (though nowhere near the worst).

We talk about the wing thing last year like it was this massive career transformation. He played some games where he pushed up the ground, which he has done at periods throughout his entire career. He's also done that at times this year - Collingwood and WCE saw him get a fair bit of ball further up the ground (though not last week as much).

Look, I agree with you. I think he's okay a bit further up the ground with less pressure in him defensively and he doesn't have much left. But I also think he's an easy whipping boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back