List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m smelling a new catch phrase to suit the times ,at AFC where ‘rebuild’ is so disastrously repetitive. How about ‘consolidation’. Hmmmm.
There is a quality core of youngsters to work with so we tried to do a last push for Finals with this group of senior players this year as evidence with our desperation for Petty last year but they are more cooked (including Walker) as we thought. So it will be a consolidation of the list to allow this quality core of youngsters to gain more experience and push for Finals in a few more years.

After how he beat obrien in the SANFL, we'd be better off offering a contract to once retired eagles ruck Redden. Can't move too much around the ground these days but is strong enough to give first use at centre bounces and actually tap to OUR players.

I am joking as he is long past AFL fitness standard but in reality, he probably offers just as much if not more than what we currently have...

I think the most interesting thing we will do this trade is with O'Brien. Clubs pay way overs for Ruckman and he would have plenty of interest.

The question is how we get a number one ruckman in without giving too much away. I'm not sure that's possible.

You can get an AFL standard ruck for very little if you’re recruiters are competent.

Key word being if.

There is a quality core of youngsters to work with so we tried to do a last push for Finals with this group of senior players this year as evidence with our desperation for Petty last year but they are more cooked (including Walker) as we thought. So it will be a consolidation of the list to allow this quality core of youngsters to gain more experience and push for Finals in a few more years.

Which to be fair is basically what Melbourne did and to a lesser extent Richmond. If that was actually the plan then it would be a sound one.

But we all know it wasn’t.

If we even got offered a second round pick for ROB you would take it and start the car as quick as possible.
That would be absolutely nonsensical without a replacement, and not just any replacement either it has to be a decent upgrade and I don't see too many options available and certainly not a significant upgrade ruck that's gettable.

Surely even those that were on the Strachan bandwagon have jumped off now, if not they are delusional if they think he can ever be even competitive at AFL level for 4 quarters against seasoned AFL ruckmen.

You can get an AFL standard ruck for very little if you’re recruiters are competent.

Key word being if.
Yeah, let's hear it, we're talking a significant upgrade on ROB, run some names by us that would be gettable for very little?

Last edited:
At what bloody cost?
Are you seriously talking a level swap?

Because these 3rd or even 2nd round picks ain't happening for a contracted tall KPP no matter how ordinary his form is currently.
Depends what Collingwood gives up for Keane.

There could be someone on their list that Melbourne is interested in.

Add that to a future 2nd and Melbourne may decide to do it this year, instead of waiting for him to leave the following year and only getting a 2nd as compo.

Depends what Collingwood gives up for Keane.

There could be someone on their list that Melbourne is interested in.

Add that to a future 2nd and Melbourne may decide to do it this year, instead of waiting for him to leave the following year and only getting a 2nd as compo.
So your asumption under that 2025 scenario is Adelaide would only be paying Petty the salary comensurate with a 2nd round pick?

Yeah, let's hear it, we're talking a significant upgrade on ROB, run some names by us that would be gettable for very little?
English is the obvious one.

He will cost maybe $400k a year more than ROB, and zero draft capital.

I think Max Heath is an interesting option. Henry Smith did well yesterday and has been showing a bit.

So your asumption under that 2025 scenario is Adelaide would only be paying Petty the salary comensurate with a 2nd round pick?
Band one will be close to a million a year with the cap uplift.

Probably need $800k for band two.

I think Petty will get roughly $700k, and that won't be enough for band two.

Even if he got more, he's nowhere near band one. So it's the difference between our 2nd and the first pick of the 2nd Round, which will be minor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English is the obvious one.

He will cost maybe $400k a year more than ROB, and zero draft capital.

I think Max Heath is an interesting option. Henry Smith did well yesterday and has been showing a bit.
If you think Brisbane will let a contracted Henry Smith go cheaply after investing this time in him you're delusional, Dom Ambrogio is one of the most astute List Managers in the whole of the AFL. Max Heath might be an option but he's still [retty raw so patience will be required, that's of course if he is actually agreeable.

Our list profile suggests we are not ready yet.

At the start of the year, we only had 3 players between 100-200 games experience.

The goal should have always been targeting a 2026-27 window. We have never selected teams based on that timeline though.

Yep, we didn’t have the patience to do it properly. Our strategy was always to get back to competing for the bottom of the 8 as soon as possible. And, unfortunately, this won’t change without a seismic cultural shift at our club.

If you think Brisbane will let a contracted Henry Smith go cheaply after investing this time in him you're delusional, Dom Ambrogio is one of the most astute List Managers in the whole of the AFL. Max Heath might be an option but he's still [retty raw so patience will be required, that's of course if he is actually agreeable.

Why are you so rude to everyone on this thread, Mutineer?

If you have anything to contribute, then contribute it.

If you have any examples of rucks who have done as little as Henry Smith going for fortunes then say that, but I would think there's ample examples of players very similar to him going for a future second.

I agree that Petty is probably not the answer, but we are very light on for tall forwards. Himmelberg looks set to go, Golant will likely be delisted, Burgess is useless. If Tex does retire we have no depth if Fog or TT get injured.

We’re not competing, we don’t need depth. If either gets injured, we’ll plummet to the bottom. Better than delaying our future desperately holding on for 10th/11th with players that won’t be in our next flag push.

Why are you so rude to everyone on this thread, Mutineer?

If you have anything to contribute, then contribute it.

If you have any examples of rucks who have done as little as Henry Smith going for fortunes then say that, but I would think there's ample examples of players very similar to him going for a future second.
Are you serious?

Put away your play station and get back in the real World.

Oscar McInerny is 30 years old in a couple of weeks and Brisbane unlike us astutely see the need to have young developing rucks coming through behind their No.1 man, Darcy Fort (31 in August) is their Keiran Strachan, Henry Smith is their future No.1 I would think and Kallin Lane is their younger depth ultimately their Strachan IMO.

Henry Smith when they drafted him was 84kg they were always playing the long game hence he was re-contracted....unlike us with ruckmen they plan for the future.

Last edited:
When do clubs pay overs for ruckmen?
When they are still contracted & the sending club don't want to lose them.
Eg. McEvoy cost the Hawks a 1st rounder.

But yeah, uncontracted ruckmen usually don't cost much in trade capital.

Are you serious?

Put away your play station and get back in the real World.

Oscar McInerny is 30 years old in a couple of weeks and Brisbane unlike us astutely see the need to have young developing rucks coming through behind their No.1 man, Darcy Fort (31 in August) is their Keiran Strachan, Henry Smith is their future No.1 I would think and Kallin Lane is their younger depth ultimately their Strachan IMO.

Henry Smith when they drafted him was 84kg they were always playing the long game hence he was re-contracted....unlike us with ruckmen they plan for the future.

Sigh - the PlayStation comment is so boring. Do you have anything to offer the thread other than insulting people?

Big O is still 29, and I bet he thinks he has three years ahead of him. Smith's management may think the same.

Or maybe they don't, but OF COURSE we should be finding out, if we're at all competent (and I think we are). Ruckmen change teams EVERY YEAR, and ROB has had every opportunity he needs to show what he has.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back