List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt he would be in the top 50% of paid ruckmen in the league? do you agree?

not getting into the semantics game again here but the SUBSTANCE of what I am saying is he is not a high profile leading ruckmen nor dominates many statistical categories for a ruckman (IIRC but very happy to stand corrected if this isnt correct). Many here, myself included, believe unless you have a truly exceptional ruckman (Gawn, Rehn) that its a relatively low value position - do you agree?

Seriously that list is a joke...

It's one person's opinion a bloke called Ely Corliss who when you research him is "jack of all trades" when it comes to sport writing

Gawn is still the most dominant ruck in the game currently and Oscar McInerney at 10?

lots of media this year saying they are one of the clubs along with us, Saints and Dons that have a large capacity still in the salary cap so not sure I can agree here

EDIT - their 2 highest paid players are likely to be JHF (contracted for another few years from memory) and Butters going forward. Butters will be getting a MASSIVE 1m+ / year offer to either stay in the swamps or else to move back to VIC when hitting FA status in a couple of years

Their list profile from a salary perspective would be fascinating

Probably not huge in the scheme of things but you always pay overs to bring someone in. Guys like Esava, Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher would be on more than you think. To a much lesser extent Finlayson, Burton, Soldo, Sweet and Rioli.

They would of had to match or go close to matching the big offers for Wines, Powell-Pepper and Georgiadis so my guess is they are on good contracts.

I think Butters will stay for now. Bergmann will go in 12 months.

On the flipside the advantage of recruiting local star players is you generally don't have to pay as much so JHF and Rozee won't be paid the same as the equals interstate. They would be saving alot there.

Guys like Boak and Dixon don't seem like types to have pushed for huge contracts where as we have probably overpaid guys like Smith, Laird, and others as they negotiated their contracts when we had cap space to burn.

Their list then has a heap of players playing for close to or at the minimum. They have alot of younger players or list cloggers.

So my guess is they save at the top and bottom end of the salary cap.

I doubt he would be in the top 50% of paid ruckmen in the league? do you agree?

not getting into the semantics game again here but the SUBSTANCE of what I am saying is he is not a high profile leading ruckmen nor dominates many statistical categories for a ruckman (IIRC but very happy to stand corrected if this isnt correct). Many here, myself included, believe unless you have a truly exceptional ruckman (Gawn, Rehn) that its a relatively low value position - do you agree?

Couldn’t really care what he’s paid, laird is our 1st or 2nd highest player.
You might mean 2nd tier, but to me 2nd rate is a derogatory term in the AFL sense.

Their list profile from a salary perspective would be fascinating

Probably not huge in the scheme of things but you always pay overs to bring someone in. Guys like Esava, Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher would be on more than you think. To a much lesser extent Finlayson, Burton, Soldo, Sweet and Rioli.

They would of had to match or go close to matching the big offers for Wines, Powell-Pepper and Georgiadis so my guess is they are on good contracts.

I think Butters will stay for now. Bergmann will go in 12 months.

On the flipside the advantage of recruiting local star players is you generally don't have to pay as much so JHF and Rozee won't be paid the same as the equals interstate. They would be saving alot there.

Guys like Boak and Dixon don't seem like types to have pushed for huge contracts where as we have probably overpaid guys like Smith, Laird, and others as they negotiated their contracts when we had cap space to burn.

Their list then has a heap of players playing for close to or at the minimum. They have alot of younger players or list cloggers.

So my guess is they save at the top and bottom end of the salary cap.
Dixon was on decent $$ when he first came over, this contract though would be AFL average you'd think

Then look at Geelong, have not had a dominant ruck for years but them key forwards seem to always help them home and here we are, another prelim final. I'd argue mobile key forwards that can dominate and kick goals are right up there with elite mids as the key players in a team
Unless you have Gawn who is both a good ruck and around the ground you may aswell play someone that can play around the ground. Thats where it sucks with Rob, he’s an ok ruckman but completely useless anywhere else.

Unless you have Gawn who is both a good ruck and around the ground you may aswell play someone that can play around the ground. Thats where it sucks with Rob, he’s an ok ruckman but completely useless anywhere else.
Then we would be better off getting harry boyd as that around the ground ruck who is like another midfielder. Don't wreck Thilthorpe there

Riley is wasted deep forward, but he's also wasted as first ruck.

Its a conundrum.
I don't think he is wasted as a key forward. I would try and engineer a pagans paddock type play to use with him every now and again. He would be frightening to have to play 1 out inside 50

Can't see it happening. We don't have the list spots
I think its a ' we like you we really like you but times are tough and if we have the space we will definitely rookie - but pack your shit up just in case '

Good lord, earnest discussion of Thilthorpe in ruck and Tarryn Thomas within a million miles of the list. Trade week can't come fast enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then we would be better off getting harry boyd as that around the ground ruck who is like another midfielder. Don't wreck Thilthorpe there
Why do you think rucking ruins a player? Goldstein is nowhere near as strongly built as Tillthorpe but is old enough to run for the US presidency. Gawn is still in prime condition, and Grundy is playing at a very high level still. Despite both being over 30.

If we could engineer a Pagans paddock situation then I totally agree, However that hasn’t been possible for 20 years as rotations have allowed coaches to flood back wingmen and half forwards into the defensive 50. This is why great key forwards average 2 goals a game now compared to Locketts 5 goals per game in the 90’s.

Mick Mathouse, Ross Lyon and Paul Roos are more responsible for the demise of the key forward than anyone else.

Stranger things have happened, CEY netted us some.
That was because Brisbane offered him a stupidly long contract - one which they rapidly came to regret.

The flipside of the coin is Chris Knights, who garnered us nothing when he departed.

It's possible that we might get something for him, but it's more likely that we get nothing.

Why do you think rucking ruins a player? Goldstein is nowhere near as strongly built as Tillthorpe but is old enough to run for the US presidency. Gawn is still in prime condition, and Grundy is playing at a very high level still. Despite both being over 30.
And what one of Goldstein, Gawn and Grundy ever had the potential to be the best Key Forward in the AFL?

Vader, pick up a paper. There's been multiple sources recently that have listed Burgess as out of contract.
... and journalists have access to his contractual details? They're probably going off footywire too, which was reporting him as having a 12 month contract until last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back