List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To say that half back flankers / wingmen with speed and a penetrating and accurate kick (ie Cumming) are not a list need is bewildering to me.

Brodie Smith is cooked beyond belief.

Wayne Milera’s career is hanging by a thread due to serious knee issues.

Lachie Sholl just might lose a foot race with Reilly O’Brien and can’t kick 50m.

Nankervis is clearly better suited up the ground than in defence. I’d love to see him play the first month of 2025 on a wing personally, which creates even more of a gap at half back which is ultimately where Cumming would play for us.

Cook is a massive question mark.

Murphy has been tried on a wing and failed.

Hinge has played on a wing for the past fortnight and looks completely out of his depth and is clearly far more comfortable deeper in defence.

Ryan is completely untried.

Laird on a back flank is laughable. No speed. Terrible decision making. Horrendous kicks. Hospital handballs.

Parnell (who has been tried at half back) and McHenry (who has spent time on a wing) are being delisted because they aren’t AFL players.

Cumming is a huge list need. Our outside mids and general mix of players with a combo of penetrating kicks and genuine speed are shit - you’d struggle to find a worse group in the league than our back flankers and wingmen tbh. I want Ryan to debut as much as the next guy, but ultimately he’s a 19 year old 0 gamer who may or may not make the grade.

Curtin looks a great prospect - he certainly is not a speedy prospect though.

Also, Cumming had no injury issues whatsoever for the 3 years leading up to this year (he played 65 games from 2021-2023, averaging over 20 disposals per game in that 3 year period) so the notion that he’s injury prone is horse shit.

He’s had a shit run of luck this year. He’s a very accomplished and experienced outside mid / half back flanker with finals experience, who can also play on a half back flank in an attacking role. He’s competing with the likes of Lachie Whitfield, Lachie Ash and Josh Kelly at the Giants in back flank and wing roles. Who have we got? Laird, Sholl, and some rotating wing spot that we shove the likes of Taylor, Murphy, Hinge and Dowling into to cover the fact that we don’t trust anyone in this role? Smith and Milera are going to save the day are they? For crying out loud.

If you’re arguing that Cumming isn’t a list need, you’re also arguing that Wanganeen-Milera isn’t a list need, because they play the same position.

Sure, I’d absolutely rather NWM than Cumming too, but NWM is going to cost 2 first rounders if you can somehow convince him to come here (vs getting Cumming for free), and if you don’t think Cumming is an upgrade on all of Laird on a back flank, the corpse of Smith on a back flank, the corpse of Milera on a back flank, Murphy being played on a wing at times, Sholl on a wing, Hinge being played on a wing at times (he barely got near it against Port in this role), Cook on a wing (not to mention the benefit of him freeing up Nankervis to play on a wing) then I’m guessing you probably also argued against acquiring Rankine and Betts (actually I’m not guessing).

If anyone isn’t a list need, it’s Lukosius.

We need 2 rucks. 1 experienced. 1 young and developing.

We need 2 elite mids. At least one of whom needs to be a goalkicker who can rotate to half forward.

We need a wingman with speed and elite kick.

We need a half back flanker with speed and elite kick.

We need a small forward with speed and agility who can genuinely kick goals, and apply tackling pressure / lock the ball inside 50.

Once we casually grab those 7 things, we can start talking about a 3rd tall in attack who is the reincarnation of Lewis Johnston and would inexplicably become one of our top 5 paid players.

Edit: I forgot to mention the epic fail that is Chayce Jones on a wing or at half back. You know, the same Chayce Jones that was a walk up start for us for what, 14-15 games this season?
Not opposed to Cumming if we're not paying overs. I'm pretty firm that we lack players in his age bracket so if we were able to bring him, ANB and Luko to the club, we're definitely adding age and experience that we don't have. All three would be in my best 22. Not disagreeing that we need to fill those needs, but where are we getting them from? Every club is looking for those players.

I think you're a bit harsh on Sholl, he's not the quickest but makes up for it within the ground his covers and has been a large improver. I'd also love to see Nank up the ground, potentially even through the middle if he can fill out a bit more, moves really well. Hinge has played plenty of decent footy on a wing, but its good he can at least offer the flexibility of playing him down back as well.

Hopefully the discussion was had around the requirement for a full preseason. He is not gaining match practice, fitness and touch in the first month of next season
The back tweak on the eve of the season derailed his campaign to a degree. Seemed to labour with it in some games and only looked fluent on occasions.

Is that just how he is now? Are these sort of niggles inevitable? Or was this just an unlucky flare up that could have happened at anytime of his career?

Hard to see a player of his age getting fresher but I know I felt in 2020 that he was on his last legs.

The public was judging based on partial information in 2020. No rational human would have decided Walker was cooked in 2020 if the club's contribution to his poor form in 2018 was known then.
Well of course we judged him on what we saw

Doesnt matter what the club did or didnt do in 2018 - if the public dont know then the assumption stands

The back tweak on the eve of the season derailed his campaign to a degree. Seemed to labour with it in some games and only looked fluent on occasions.

Is that just how he is now? Are these sort of niggles inevitable? Or was this just an unlucky flare up that could have happened at anytime of his career?

Hard to see a player of his age getting fresher but I know I felt in 2020 that he was on his last legs.
I think it'd be foolish for anyone to go into 2025 expecting his back issues to suddenly vanish at his age. We've already seen a bit this year his 1 wood of being able to launch 60m bombs at goal has been downgraded to a 3 wood at this point.

The Advertiser should pay a finders fee to BF, been same way for years. Rucci admitted to ghosting these pages regularly.
You just have to wonder seriously about what sort of budget media outlets are run with .
Andrew Capel wrote this article, he also wrote the article last week where Dodson nominated he has chosen football.
I reckon the work experience kid was in charge and nothing is proof read.
Andrew Capel actually watches a lot of footy live especially the SA U18's as does Zac Milbank. I think you're unfairly underselling Capel's long time contributions to SA footy.

It’s obvious our list management needs to focus on the young ones but alas Smith and Jones will continue to get picked week in and week out. Only fools and horses would have kept Murphy on the list this year let alone that red dwarf McHenry…and next year Tex should be putting his feet up and living the good life but ‘allo ‘allo he’ll get another one year deal any minute now. Don’t get me wrong the recruitment of Dawson and Rankine was absolutely fabulous but we were too quick to get rid of men behaving badly like Stengle and Crouch and it seems like we are just going to be keeping up appearances in the bottom half of the ladder for some time to come. As time goes by our frustration is growing and most of us supporters will have one foot in the grave by the time we’re next contenders. In the front office Roo and Burton were birds of a feather and now Kelly is completely out of his depth as minder for the football department. Which leaves us with Nicks who is the spitting image of his mentor Kenny (but without the mediocre success). If we’re going to get the upper hand then yes, minister Olsen you’re going to have step up and drop the dead donkey.
Fantastic post. Don’t agree with having to get rid of men behaving badly, I mean some teams do ‘ave ‘em.

Last edited:
Well of course we judged him on what we saw

Doesnt matter what the club did or didnt do in 2018 - if the public dont know then the assumption stands
It was a perfectly reasonable assumption at the time. But that also means it's not a useful comparison point for today.

Personally I think Walker still has more left in him. Because he's one of the rare players who is bother elite by foot on both sides of his body, and is an elite handball with both hands. As long as the ball can get in his hands, he essentially needs zero agility to be dangerous.

I would be doing the following:

- Go to Gold Coast and offer our Next years 1st for Lukosius and their 2024 1st round pick tied to North Melbourne's assistance package (End of 1st round, currently Pick 20)

- Use that Pick on Dodson, certainly seems to be the range for him, but I can see him going earlier.

- ANB for our 2024 2nd Rd Pick tied to Melb (currently Pick 27)

- Cummings as an UFA

- 2024 Pick 4 on best available mid, hopefully Lalor or Draper

- 2024 Backend picks for Welsh

Lukosius, ANB, Cummings, Dodson, Draper/Lalor, Welsh..........drastically improves our list in a LOT of ways...

- Go to Gold Coast and offer our Next years 1st for Lukosius and their 2024 1st round pick tied to North Melbourne's assistance package (End of 1st round, currently Pick 20)

- Use that Pick on Dodson, certainly seems to be the range for him, but I can see him going earlier.

- Cummings as an UFA

Lukosius, ANB, Cummings, Dodson, Draper/Lalor, Welsh..........drastically improves our list in a LOT of ways...
That would be an unbelievable off season. Could set up up for years to come.

Channel 7 saying Tex's new deal locked in as early as next week
As much as I love Tex, I feel like this could end up being a bad move for us. Nicks will play Tex as much as he can next year, he may get a couple of breaks through the season, but there is very little chance he get dropped to the SANFL if his form is not great.

We need Fog and Thilthorpe to take over and let them be the main guys. As long as Tex is there, he will still command most of the forward 50 entries. Tex is not helping us to win a premiership next year, so I don't really see the point in him playing again.

- Cummings as an UFA

It's great on paper but Gold Coast are not doing that unfortunately. Everything else is possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I love Tex, I feel like this could end up being a bad move for us. Nicks will play Tex as much as he can next year, he may get a couple of breaks through the season, but there is very little chance he get dropped to the SANFL if his form is not great.

We need Fog and Thilthorpe to take over and let them be the main guys. As long as Tex is there, he will still command most of the forward 50 entries. Tex is not helping us to win a premiership next year, so I don't really see the point in him playing again.

I think he will probably have an okay season but we should of being going for clean start. This just becomes another distraction.

We need experience but we need it from other clubs.

Andrew Capel actually watches a lot of footy live especially the SA U18's as does Zac Milbank. I think you're unfairly underselling Capel's long time contributions to SA footy.

I make sure to read all his articles on footy, very good journo.
What I was meaning is that article of his I posted last week was pre Dodson’s decision.
And the article this morning says he is still mulling it over. I doubt Capel would be
responsible for timeline and putting it to print himself, editor should be proof reading to make sure circumstances
hadn’t changed. Not a criticism of him at all but of the Fertiliser.

It was a perfectly reasonable assumption at the time. But that also means it's not a useful comparison point for today.

Personally I think Walker still has more left in him. Because he's one of the rare players who is bother elite by foot on both sides of his body, and is an elite handball with both hands. As long as the ball can get in his hands, he essentially needs zero agility to be dangerous.
Thing is I dont disagree

I just think we need to move past him- and Smith

I said 2 years ago we needed to work out how we were going to move those 3 on and yet here we are still

Sloane is the only guaranteed one to move on

Thing is I dont disagree

I just think we need to move past him- and Smith

I said 2 years ago we needed to work out how we were going to move those 3 on and yet here we are still

Sloane is the only guaranteed one to move on
I said the same things about the same players. albeit more fatalistically.

Re: Walker. I was of the opinion that they would eventually have to go to the trade table to replace him. And I still am.

If you're recruiting an experienced forward, they should be good enough to immediately slot in. In which case there's zero harm to playing Walker until said player arrives.

Even if Fogarty and Thilthorpe step up a gear in his absence (which there's no evidence of, if anything there's plenty to say the opposite) there's still a big hole in the forward line as a result. Unless Nicks is going to do something insane like playing Jordan Dawson as a permanent forward. AND even then... there's still currently a Burgess/Cook/Himmelberg-tier player in the forward line each week as is.

The alternative is developing a drafted/young player as a replacement. If you're doing that with the current Crows squad, then logically you'd also start asking stuff like "Is Jordan Dawson REALLY going to be around for the next premiership?"

Nope, disagree a lad that only came into the elite pathway in his draft year he has done exceedingly well, could he be showing signs of fatigue late in the season possibly given it's his 1st season of playing almost every AFL game. One things for sure Cumming wouldn't be showing any signs of fatigue, he hardly played due to recurring soft tissue injuries (quad/hamstrings).

At the same age

I like Nank and he has come a long way in a few short years. And he has the number 1 ability of being on the park which counts for a lot

But he isn’t in the same stratosphere as Milera as a player - and that has shown up big time in the last few weeks. Geelong must have caught him with the ball 5-6 times, the goal he gave away against the Power was embarrassingly poor

He has had a great season so may just be soreness or fatigue impacting him - but a fit Milera and a fit Cumming are both clearly in front of him (whether they can be fit is another question)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like Nank and he has come a long way in a few short years. And he has the number 1 ability of being on the park which counts for a lot

But he isn’t in the same stratosphere as Milera as a player - and that has shown up big time in the last few weeks. Geelong must have caught him with the ball 5-6 times, the goal he gave away against the Power was embarrassingly poor

He has had a great season so may just be soreness or fatigue impacting him - but a fit Milera and a fit Cumming are both clearly in front of him (whether they can be fit is another question)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Milera is almost 6 years older and 80 games experience ahead with serious doubts he'll ever return to anything like his best football after a serios injury

Cummings is 5 years older and 79 games experience and has had recurring quad and several hamstring issues that's seen him hardly play at all this season.. Recurring hamstring injuries are nothing to be sneezed at.

You're entitled to your opinion but I think Nankervis has shown the potential to be better than both when he gets the experience. Looking to the future it's a no brainer even just age and experience wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back