List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley and Menzel on Crows possible trades and draft possibilities

F/S Welsh
Pick 4 Draper pref or gun mid
Pick 42 ANB
GC Luko for Pick 10-20
Pick 26 around mark for Cumming +/-
Trade for ruck option as Dodson too far away .

I doubt anyone is offering him two years but if they are he should take it. It would be best for him to experience another club.

I don't know if he wants to work in football post playing but if he does he will have to move interstate anyway or commute like Hart and Montgomery have. No way Port take him and we can't really offer him a role until he gets some experience.

It'll he doesn't want to move the family then he takes what he is offered. That's just part of the work life balance decisions people make all the time.
Reckon collingwoods is 2 plus a coaching role after, however he doesn’t want to move his family.

F/S Welsh
Pick 42 ANB
GC Luko for Pick 10-20
Great .. they don't even realise Cumming is a FA and won't cost any draft capital

Where is pick 10-20 coming from for Luko?

F/S Welsh
Pick 42 ANB
GC Luko for Pick 10-20
Thought cumming was a FA?

I think the problem is our ability to do a trade.

I’ll be amazed if ANB and Lukosis trades go smoothly. Cummings is a UFA so can’t stuff that up.
Dees are likely to be very busy in trade period, with bigger trades to arrange... so they hopefully want to get ANB done quickly.

Suns on the other hand are keeping up a pretence that the $1m pa Lukosius is a required player, when the reality is he is a cap problem... so we need to hold out for a good deal or let them keep him & cause them future cap issues with re-signings.

As Drugs Are Bad Mackay? has pointed out, we tend to forget all the lessons we have learned in a year of footy by the time the next preseason is over.
Well Nicks does for sure.

Was he a regular dope user, because he has all the hallmarks...

F/S Welsh
Pick 42 ANB
GC Luko for Pick 10-20
Don't they realise Cumming is a FA!

I mean it is, we’ve reportedly offered him a contract

And I suspect we do know we’re getting Cumming
So start delisting. No need to hold off

And I do suspect we know Berrys intentions. There is no way he gets here without us knowing

We cant be that stup - oh

Burgess
Gallagher
McHenry
Parnell

Those are the ones I think will be delisted and I think Gollant will be traded
Gallagher isn't costing us a list spot so having him on for another year won't do any harm. Unless there are multiple better cat B rookies waiting in the wings to be signed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like this is the critical off season for us (and a career defining one for Reid).

There are going to be a lot of players looking to move, and some will be huge trades that might need 3rd parties to get involved.

For us adding Cumming as a free agent would be excellent business. He fills a clear need.
I suspect ANB will be late 3rd or even a future 3rd round pick. I can't see Melbourne being stressed about this one.

Then we need to keep pick 4 as a priority.

Then we have Lukosious. I suspect Port won't be able to afford the salary. Despite it being a salary dump and if he was going to Geelong GC would be gifting them with extra picks, GC are going to play hard ball here and want something good in return. This will test Reid. We will see what sort of an operator he really is.

We clearly need both a support ruck and a developing ruck. Dodson would fill one of those roles, then we also need another ready to play strong body ruck. Unfortunately, Strachan just isn't at AFL level. We need to scour the other leagues and back ups at other clubs to see who we might be able to attract.

Tyler Welsh will come in and I suspect will be around the second round mark. He will be a handy pick up and will develop into a good forward. Hopefully he can build his engine.

Get all of that done and we have a good start. If we could then add in some opportunistic trades to better position ourselves for the future, Reid will have done a good job. Hopefully there is another player or two that suddenly want to move that we might be able to jump on. I'd still be speaking with Shai Bolton's managers about joining forces with Rankine as a duo that rotate between F50 and midfield. I know he's likely to go to WA, but I'd very much be asking the question. And then asking again. And then again.

List wise, I think there are some pretty clear moves.

Sloane, Parnell, Hamill, McHenry & Burgess will be delisted.

Gollant we will try to trade and then probably delist.

Himmelberg will either leave as a free agent or be delisted.

Smith should be farewelled. Hopefully he hasn't met those triggers.

Tex is a tough one. I'm inclined to keep him in an advisory role - especially for Welsh. Could be move him off list and use as a coach of some description. We absolutely should only have ONE of Smith/Tex on the list next year at most. I would keep Tex, play him about 60% of games and play Welsh in the games Tex doesn't play. Basically ease Tex out and ease Welsh in.

Borlase will depend on Keane. If Keane requests a trade, then I'd trade him and sign Borlase as support. He's fine as a back up. If Keane stays, then Borlase is not required.

Berry I suspect will ask for a trade, and I'd be happy to do so. If we get a 2nd rounder (even a late one) for him, you would be happy with that. He doesn't have the hands required at AFL level.

Bond we should sign and keep. He has a role and does it well.

I would also be very happy to let Laird know he can consider his options. Hopefully he understands and looks elsewhere.

I would also be willing to listen to offers for Sholl. He's made a jump and shown he can be a good winger, but I don't think he has much more of a ceiling and is replaceable. Now is the time to trade him if offers come in (sell high). He's also very much replaceable.

Lot's of movement, lots of options. Critical year.

Reckon collingwoods is 2 plus a coaching role after, however he doesn’t want to move his family.

I'd be surprised if they think he has two years left of playing but if you are right then he should 100% take it. The club should encourage him to do it for his career post football.

The coaching industry in SA is fairly limited in the well paid roles. Even those who want to live here like Carr, Cornes, Van Berlo, Bassett, Goldsack, Burns, Homsch, Wright have been interstate for a few years. Clarke an exception, the rest of the development type roles don't pay that well which won't work for Tex.

Crows f1 + 27 for luko & 13. I hope they try for this as while our f1 is gone, 13 is still a great point in this draft if we want dodson

Possible, the big question Justin Reid has to decide is where he thinks we will finish next season. Not where he hopes as you can make a case accross all 18 clubs for improvement but what will actually happen.

Keep in mind many on here thought we should have given this year's first pick for some middle to late first round picks in the last draft. That would be disaterous now.

There is good players in every draft so to trade away future picks you have to be certain it's not going to be a top pick.

Gallagher isn't costing us a list spot so having him on for another year won't do any harm. Unless there are multiple better cat B rookies waiting in the wings to be signed up.
It depends on whether or not they can see him developing into an AFL player. There's no point in keeping him around, even as a Cat B rookie, if they can't see him developing into a useful player in the future.

Feels like this is the critical off season for us (and a career defining one for Reid).

There are going to be a lot of players looking to move, and some will be huge trades that might need 3rd parties to get involved.

For us adding Cumming as a free agent would be excellent business. He fills a clear need.
I suspect ANB will be late 3rd or even a future 3rd round pick. I can't see Melbourne being stressed about this one.

Then we need to keep pick 4 as a priority.

Then we have Lukosious. I suspect Port won't be able to afford the salary. Despite it being a salary dump and if he was going to Geelong GC would be gifting them with extra picks, GC are going to play hard ball here and want something good in return. This will test Reid. We will see what sort of an operator he really is.

We clearly need both a support ruck and a developing ruck. Dodson would fill one of those roles, then we also need another ready to play strong body ruck. Unfortunately, Strachan just isn't at AFL level. We need to scour the other leagues and back ups at other clubs to see who we might be able to attract.

Tyler Welsh will come in and I suspect will be around the second round mark. He will be a handy pick up and will develop into a good forward. Hopefully he can build his engine.

Get all of that done and we have a good start. If we could then add in some opportunistic trades to better position ourselves for the future, Reid will have done a good job. Hopefully there is another player or two that suddenly want to move that we might be able to jump on. I'd still be speaking with Shai Bolton's managers about joining forces with Rankine as a duo that rotate between F50 and midfield. I know he's likely to go to WA, but I'd very much be asking the question. And then asking again. And then again.

List wise, I think there are some pretty clear moves.

Sloane, Parnell, Hamill, McHenry & Burgess will be delisted.

Gollant we will try to trade and then probably delist.

Himmelberg will either leave as a free agent or be delisted.

Smith should be farewelled. Hopefully he hasn't met those triggers.

Tex is a tough one. I'm inclined to keep him in an advisory role - especially for Welsh. Could be move him off list and use as a coach of some description. We absolutely should only have ONE of Smith/Tex on the list next year at most. I would keep Tex, play him about 60% of games and play Welsh in the games Tex doesn't play. Basically ease Tex out and ease Welsh in.

Borlase will depend on Keane. If Keane requests a trade, then I'd trade him and sign Borlase as support. He's fine as a back up. If Keane stays, then Borlase is not required.

Berry I suspect will ask for a trade, and I'd be happy to do so. If we get a 2nd rounder (even a late one) for him, you would be happy with that. He doesn't have the hands required at AFL level.

Bond we should sign and keep. He has a role and does it well.

I would also be very happy to let Laird know he can consider his options. Hopefully he understands and looks elsewhere.

I would also be willing to listen to offers for Sholl. He's made a jump and shown he can be a good winger, but I don't think he has much more of a ceiling and is replaceable. Now is the time to trade him if offers come in (sell high). He's also very much replaceable.

Lot's of movement, lots of options. Critical year.
I agree with almost all of this, except for Himmelberg. We should be signing him as a depth player if he doesn't walk as a UFA. He's a massive upgrade on both Gollant & Burgess, and provides depth for both KPF and Ruck positions, both areas where we are short on depth.

Possible, the big question Justin Reid has to decide is where he thinks we will finish next season. Not where he hopes as you can make a case accross all 18 clubs for improvement but what will actually happen.

Keep in mind many on here thought we should have given this year's first pick for some middle to late first round picks in the last draft. That would be disaterous now.

There is good players in every draft so to trade away future picks you have to be certain it's not going to be a top pick.
Yeah for sure. I just can't help but think that getting a guy like Dodson will be a masterstroke in the years to come and will be well worth having traded out our F1 for. But this is apparently a strong and deep draft and we need talent now, quality talent. Trading pick 8 or 9 next year for pick 13 this year does not phase me one little bit

It depends on whether or not they can see him developing into an AFL player. There's no point in keeping him around, even as a Cat B rookie, if they can't see him developing into a useful player in the future.
I'll be honest I have seen 0 of him.

But to defend him slightly one year into a foreign sport I'd give him the extra one to see what he can do. If still showing no signs then sure but it really isn't doing any harm to keep him for one more year.

I'll be honest I have seen 0 of him.

But to defend him slightly one year into a foreign sport I'd give him the extra one to see what he can do. If still showing no signs then sure but it really isn't doing any harm to keep him for one more year.
I haven't seen him either, and have no strong feelings either way (keep or delist).

The coaches would see him on a daily basis, and would have a good grip on how much he's developed this year - and how far he still needs to go for AFL selection. If they can't see him making it, then they should cut him. However, unlike the other players on our list, there's no pressure to make that decision from a list numbers perspective, only an ability/development perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back