List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2023 O'Brien ranked 7th in ruck, Dawson and Laird ranked 7th and 10th in Midfield, Walker and Keays ranked 12th and 17th in Forwards and Hinge was our highest ranked defender at 40. The higher rankings correspond with our higher finish last year, but our lack of top 20 defenders cost the Crows about 5 games last year which meant we didn't play finals. Yes, I know there is the missed goal review game against Sydney, but there were other games last year we were in a position to win but lost.

This year, Hinge improved, but was still outside the top 20, Dawson and Laird fell down in rankings past the top 20, O'Brien dropped in rankings, and Walker dropped in rankings. With no one stepping up, this saw the Crows fall down the ladder.

If we look at 2017, the Crows had Atkins and Smith ranked 18th and 22nd in Defence; Crouch, Sloane and Laird ranked 3, 5 and 10 in the Midfield, Jacobs ranked 1st in Ruck, and Douglas, Walker and Betts ranked 17th, 25th and 29th up Forward. Our midfield was elite, which hid some of the deficiencies down back and up forward. These deficiencies were found out against Richmond on Grand Final day. For Richmond, Rance, Houli and Astbury were ranked 7th, 17th and 29th in Defence, Cotchin and Ellis were ranked 8 and 29 in the Midfield, which also had Martin rotating between forward and midfield, where Martin was the 2nd best midfielder and the best forward. Up Forward, Richmond also had Lambert and Riewoldt ranked 12th and 27th respectively; finally they had Nankervis in the ruck who was ranked 5th. Rance and Houli were the difference down back, and Martin was a menace through the midfield and up forward. This highlights when the Crows had several top 10 - 20 players they played finals, and made it to the Grand Final; but they still had positional weaknesses that were exposed on Grand Final day by higher rated opponents.
So we are hoping TT and Fogs can break out next year to be in the top 30 at least as forwards.
Rankine and Dawson in the Top 20 for Midfielders.
The backline.............. crickets....... I don't think anyone but maybe MM, Hinge and Murray might crack top 30. Butts, Keane, Borlase, Smith, Nankervis, Jones, Ryan (too early) and Milera I have my doubts on them cracking even the Top 50.

So we are hoping TT and Fogs can break out next year to be in the top 30 at least as forwards.
The backline.............. crickets....... I don't think anyone but maybe MM, Hinge and Murray might crack top 30. Butts, Keane, Borlase, Smith, Nankervis, Jones, Ryan (too early) and Milera I have my doubts on them cracking even the Top 50.
Keane is the most likely.

Needs to find a better balance in his game but his best is very good.

Elijah Taylor ring any bells, another prodigiosly talented junior that had already debuted in his 1st season at the Swans?

I'm not sure the relevance, Nick Stevens, Nathan Bock? Are you just going to throw up names of ex players that have been accused/convicted of abusing females. Right now Tarryn Thomas is an ex-player, he is not allowed to be put on a club list until the AFL have signed off on whatever he's been asked to do. Which probably won't be enough if he's found guilty of the charges he's facing. My guess is that if he's found guilty, that'll be it, permanent de-registration. If he's found not guilty, I'd imagine there'd be some pretty stringent requirements of him prior to the AFL allowing him to be re-listed.

But again, because it seems difficult for a few to understand, and it's not complicated, after everything has played out, if the AFL are satisfied that he can return to the league and be recruited by a club, then I see no reason why we shouldn't be interested. If the AFL makes him available, then he's available. I doubt he will become available though.

"SACKED North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas will not be cleared to play at any level of the game until at least late November after he was charged with fresh criminal offences this week.

The League has acknowledged that Thomas, 24, was arrested and charged on Tuesday with use of a telecommunications service to harass, and breaching a court order.

He will face court on November 21."

edit - just read this and realised I used our old Stevens instead of ex Port/Carlton crook and partner beater , Nick. Apologies to Scott if anyone had read this.

Last edited:

I'm not sure the relevance, Scott Stevens, Nathan Bock? Are you just going to throw up names of ex players that have been accused/convicted of abusing females. Right now Tarryn Thomas is an ex-player, he is not allowed to be put on a club list until the AFL have signed off on whatever he's been asked to do. Which probably won't be enough if he's found guilty of the charges he's facing. My guess is that if he's found guilty, that'll be it, permanent de-registration. If he's found not guilty, I'd imagine there'd be some pretty stringent requirements of him prior to the AFL allowing him to be re-listed.

But again, because it seems difficult for a few to understand, and it's not complicated, after everything has played out, if the AFL are satisfied that he can return to the league and be recruited by a club, then I see no reason why we shouldn't be interested. If the AFL makes him available, then he's available. I doubt he will become available though.

"SACKED North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas will not be cleared to play at any level of the game until at least late November after he was charged with fresh criminal offences this week.

The League has acknowledged that Thomas, 24, was arrested and charged on Tuesday with use of a telecommunications service to harass, and breaching a court order.

Perhaps the league should go by the Geelong model, where it doesn't matter what a person does, as long as they are fit to play on the weekend.

I'm not sure the relevance, Scott Stevens, Nathan Bock? Are you just going to throw up names of ex players that have been accused/convicted of abusing females. Right now Tarryn Thomas is an ex-player, he is not allowed to be put on a club list until the AFL have signed off on whatever he's been asked to do. Which probably won't be enough if he's found guilty of the charges he's facing. My guess is that if he's found guilty, that'll be it, permanent de-registration. If he's found not guilty, I'd imagine there'd be some pretty stringent requirements of him prior to the AFL allowing him to be re-listed.

Third party sponsorship deal with Telstra/Optus???

Didn't he only abuse or threaten a woman via phone?

I've had abusive ex girlfriends do that many times, love to get them sacked

I think 'only' is a poorly used word above. But I think you are right in that his method of abuse is via the phone. I've not read any accusations that he's abused anyone physically or in person, noting that he needs to wear the consequences for whatever law he breaks. Some of the stuff that was published was juvenile wanna be gangsta garbage, but if the recipient genuinely fears for their safety, then he needs to be held to account for that. I do think there's a chance of recovery for him, especially in terms of maturing and dealing with $hit that doesn't go his way. I'd put money on him having had these exchanges with lots of people, both chicks and blokes. But if he hasn't had his last event by now, then he'll never work it out. Even then, I reckon if he's found guilty of these charges, then he's done anyway.

I think you're right. The politics would totally destroy us. We are a weak club. No way could we even consider this.

The AFL have to wear the politics first by providing their blessing for clubs to recruit him. Currently that is not the case, so they'd need to go public saying that Thomas has completed everything required of him and they are comfortable with clubs looking to draft him. That's where the political storm that will need to be weathered and if the AFL are comfortable bringing him back into the game, then that's all there should be to it.

But you're in favour of getting Thomas ....enough said

If the AFL re-register him first. But not if they don't. I know that a 2 step scenario is a little difficult for you to wrap your head around, but you should try, self improvement should always be a goal.

And in terms of respect for women, how's this guy?

You sound like my Wife .....brings up things from 10 years ago as a deflection too

1726724825907.png

Your strawman argument reminds me so much of my dear Wife

Perhaps the league should go by the Geelong model, where it doesn't matter what a person does, as long as they are fit to play on the weekend.

I don't think that's the Geelong model. I can't think of an event since the cocaine deal that would have warranted any form of game day punishment, can you? But with Thomas, it's in the hands of the AFL, they'll make the decision as to whether he's worthy of taking up a place in the league. If you want to march on AFL house or bin your AFC membership if we end up with him, then seeya.

Well yeah that was..... im not even sure how to describe how the AFL "handled" that.

Innocent until proven guilty. The difference with Thomas is that he had already been suspended for 18 weeks following a transgression for acts that he had already been required to undergo education to eliminate. And then whilst on the 18 week suspension he does it again and it results in being charged and having to defend himself in court. If he's found guilty, there's no doubt the AFL will wash their hand of him. If he's found not guilty, then they'll have a decision to make. What will be required of him to be able to return to the league will be up to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keane, Michalanney and Nankervis are our next best defenders after Hinge, ranked 57, 74 and 90 respectively. Butts and Murray missed too many games this year, and really don't get enough of the ball to hurt opposition teams on the rebound.

Rankine is still a fair way away from being a top 20 mid, but has the potential to break into the top 10 forwards next year, whilst pinch hitting in the midfield. TT and Fog will need to make some massive improvements that I don't think they are capable of whilst playing behind Tex.

If the AFL re-register him first. But not if they don't. I know that a 2 step scenario is a little difficult for you to wrap your head around, but you should try, self improvement should always be a goal.

And in terms of respect for women, how's this guy?
I have a hunch, if Thomas were to be re-listed by another Club, bar the Crows ....you'd have the opposite perspective

Rankine is still a fair way away from being a top 20 mid, but has the potential to break into the top 10 forwards next year, whilst pinch hitting in the midfield. TT and Fog will need to make some massive improvements that I don't think they are capable of whilst playing behind Tex.
Sorry, but this is a weird take on Rankine.....reminiscent of those who were against Rankine moving out of the FWD line last season

Kingy declared mid season, Rankine would be in the top few players in the AFL ....and it wasn't as a FWD

I want him creating, drawing opponents, to free up teammates & delivering inside F50 ....not finishing off the work of others

Rankine is our best midfielder !

Sorry, but this is a weird take on Rankine.....reminiscent of those who were against Rankine moving out of the FWD line last season

Kingy declared mid season, Rankine would be in the top few players in the AFL ....and it wasn't as a FWD

I want him creating, drawing opponents, to free up teammates & delivering inside F50 ....not finishing off the work of others

Rankine is our best midfielder !
Sure, but he's yet to actually put together a season.

Sure, but he's yet to actually put together a season.
He missed 7 games ....was moved into the MID / FWD role, I'm estimating round 8,9,or 10 .....so what's he played as a MID ....7 of the last 14 games

And did he train with the Mids last PS ( bigman ) ....because I'm very confident he will this PS

He missed 7 games ....was moved into the MID / FWD role, I'm estimating round 8,9,or 10 .....so what's he played as a MID ....7 of the last 14 games

And did he train with the Mids last PS ( bigman ) ....because I'm very confident he will this PS
Yes, but your response evades the point he is yet to put together a season of top quality football.
Until he does that he's achieved nothing.

Yes, but your response evades the point he is yet to put together a season of top quality football.
Until he does that he's achieved nothing.
If you can't see his dynamics in the midfield ...and around packs ...well I can't help you

You don't need a body of work to see the obvious with players .....the top end talent I mean

Most players are in various stages of development .....so sometimes it's hard to see where they are on the curve ....but not Rankine

If you can't see his dynamics in the midfield ...and around packs ...well I can't help you

You don't need a body of work to see the obvious with players .....the top end talent I mean

Most players are in various stages of development .....so sometimes it's hard to see where they are on the curve ....but not Rankine
You're not reading my posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back