Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It really needs to happen. I'll be watching on TV but if the cameras happened to catch it I would deadset legit piss my pants
Bonus points if his head is in the middle of the sign and it’s a still from that cringe tiktok

I sit front row so I could do it if I could be bothered.
Beer Bubbling GIF

It's too early for the window. Who and where teams have played makes too much difference. For example, Port have had 4 at home (Bombers, Dees, Us, Eagles) and only Richmond away. They absolutely pantsed the 3 **** sides (but conceded 100 to the Tigers) and lost to Dees and almost lost to us.

Whip it out at round 15 and see.

It's too early for the window. Who and where teams have played makes too much difference. For example, Port have had 4 at home (Bombers, Dees, Us, Eagles) and only Richmond away. They absolutely pantsed the 3 **** sides (but conceded 100 to the Tigers) and lost to Dees and almost lost to us.

Whip it out at round 15 and see.
Isn’t the window just a rip off of the squiggle but they have switched the offence / defence axis. At least the squiggle also takes home ground into account.

Isn’t the window just a rip off of the squiggle but they have switched the offence / defence axis. At least the squiggle also takes home ground into account.
No, the squiggle is a complicated algorithm, the window is literally just points for and against. It's meaningless at round 5.

Squiggle is significantly more sophisticated. It does long term statistical trends well.

With enough data during the season, the window can give you a good guide but 5 games is not enough.

I don't think the post was meant to be taken so seriously. They were continuing on the joke about Clark being spelt with an "e" by then making a post spelling Hamling with a "b"
Very late reply but 100% :)
McDonald wouldn’t even be on your list if Hamling was.

Recruiting/holding too many genuine depth players and players that are older but still only almost up it is how to eventually be like West Coast. It doesn’t take as long as you think either.

Without a debut for Draper you don’t know how good he is. Not does he look decent depth ATM but he shows best 22 quality for a few years time when Hamling and McDonald will be retired/delisted.
If you can’t see the benefit of Draper getting a game over hamling you should watch more games. More importantly if you watched Davies yesterday playing for peel yesterday not only his game but his direction to others Joel has taught them well. I hope Joel has a great season for Sydney but his injury history was only worth year to year contracts
In all seriousness though, I'm fine with Hamling leaving, the only disappointing thing for me was his parting shot.
Definitely agree about Draper, he is the future and Hamling was not. Super happy we're getting games into him and hope we can keep him in when Cox returns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of content from Caleb in this one:
Stronger, smarter, richer: Who footy players could be in 10 years - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1110301

BB gets a mention too.
Alot of content, but for me (even thought it was only a little segment) the most important thing was looking at equalisation measures - Serong mentioned travel of WA clubs. The ALFPA can keep banging on about player movement and wanting more but this harms WA clubs much more than Vic clubs. Our club should be very vocal about giving further player movement only conditional support and the conditions should include less travel for WA teams (at least 3 more home games per year) and a higher salary cap (1mill per year) to be better able to entice players to move to WA. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Alot of content, but for me (even thought it was only a little segment) the most important thing was looking at equalisation measures - Serong mentioned travel of WA clubs. The ALFPA can keep banging on about player movement and wanting more but this harms WA clubs much more than Vic clubs. Our club should be very vocal about giving further player movement only conditional support and the conditions should include less travel for WA teams (at least 3 more home games per year) and a higher salary cap (1mill per year) to be better able to entice players to move to WA. If you don't ask, you don't get.
We wont get 3 more home games but i reckon at least 2 blocks of away games where we can have a base like we do for gather round to save 4 cross country trips should be achieveable.

You could stick with the Gather round one for now with Port or Adelaide the week before or after gather round.

Then you could do B2B games in Melbourne a Sunday Arvo game and a saturday arvo the following week 6 day turnaround isnt that bad when you dont have to get on a flight.

That way you fly over on the Friday,
Play sunday stay in Melbourne
Following Saturday play the 1pm game then fly home saturday evening and back in bed Saturday Night so only away for 8 days.

Or you could do both Sydney Teams or both QLD teams like stay on the Goldie for a week then the play the Lions the week after.

It doesnt really matter where as long as the base is the same for both games.

But ideally i reckon 2 blocks of 8-day Hubs is ideal and should be more realistic.

It’s a good article, and good on Schmook for building a competition-wide story out of access to Freo. But the the thing that worries me is the paragraph that follows Serong’s comment about travel:

For Marsh, it is a challenge that fits in the competitive balance discussion that the AFLPA is involved in now, with a view to ensuring future players are not required to spend long parts of their careers at disadvantaged clubs.

The proposed solution to the travel inequality is to make it easier for players not to have spend time at the clubs disadvantaged! I.e. the travel burden is just something the WA clubs have to live with, but we can save the players from having their careers ruined by having to play for WA clubs.

The story goes on to say that the AFLPA is pushing for a holistic review of the advantages and disadvantages each club has, but the AFLPA represents player interest first and foremost, with competition equality a secondary consideration, and Schmook’s use of and contextualisation of Marsh’s comments reflects that priority rather than really highlighting a case for equalisation.

It’s a good article, and good on Schmook for building a competition-wide story out of access to Freo. But the the thing that worries me is the paragraph that follows Serong’s comment about travel:

The proposed solution to the travel inequality is to make it easier for players not to have spend time at the clubs disadvantaged! I.e. the travel burden is just something the WA clubs have to live with, but we can save the players from having their careers ruined by having to play for WA clubs.

The story goes on to say that the AFLPA is pushing for a holistic review of the advantages and disadvantages each club has, but the AFLPA represents player interest first and foremost, with competition equality a secondary consideration, and Schmook’s use of and contextualisation of Marsh’s comments reflects that priority rather than really highlighting a case for equalisation.
Couldn't agree more, which is why Freo should only ever express conditional support for any proposals to increase player movement. The conditions should be along the lines of more home games and more money in the cap to lure players and the club should be unbending on such conditions.

Couldn't agree more, which is why Freo should only ever express conditional support for any proposals to increase player movement. The conditions should be along the lines of more home games and more money in the cap to lure players and the club should be unbending on such conditions.
Since player movement increased the real winners have been big vic clubs and the likes of Geelong that seem to be able to stay up for years on end contending.
Can’t see how increased player movement benefits FFC too much

We wont get 3 more home games but i reckon at least 2 blocks of away games where we can have a base like we do for gather round to save 4 cross country trips should be achieveable.

You could stick with the Gather round one for now with Port or Adelaide the week before or after gather round.

Then you could do B2B games in Melbourne a Sunday Arvo game and a saturday arvo the following week 6 day turnaround isnt that bad when you dont have to get on a flight.

That way you fly over on the Friday,
Play sunday stay in Melbourne
Following Saturday play the 1pm game then fly home saturday evening and back in bed Saturday Night so only away for 8 days.

Or you could do both Sydney Teams or both QLD teams like stay on the Goldie for a week then the play the Lions the week after.

It doesnt really matter where as long as the base is the same for both games.

But ideally i reckon 2 blocks of 8-day Hubs is ideal and should be more realistic.

Yeah I read this bit with a sense of trepidation.

1713322795932.png

We are a club with a number of disadvantages compared with clubs based in Victoria, most notably the proximity. You can have blocks of away games to reduce travel but you then have extended periods away from the comforts of home, routines are thrown, having to rely on other people's facilities (pointless having state of the art facilities in Cockburn if you're not there). So you're swapping one disadvantage for another. We had better be vocal as heck in this holistic review, otherwise it will be majority rules and we ain't in the majority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back