Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would GC take an end of first rounder and our future first for 6 and 11? Assuming the new system is in and they need a first to match Lombard early. Would allow us to do something like:

Out: F1, 22 + (for example) Phillips
In: O'Sullivan, Armstrong, Travaglia

Yep, on the one hand playing there is a real test of a kids fortitude and ability to handle tough conditions. On the other hand, its almost the only thing you can get out of those games because the conditions make it nearly impossible to play actual football.

I think three of the potentially "best" kicks in the draft are super unreliable right now. Smillie, Langford and Gerreyn all pass the eye test in spades. They have lovely fluid kicking strokes, they punch through the ball and get penetration. All three can get distance without looking like they're forcing it and losing technique.

But the problem is that they all get lazy, and miss kicks they have no business missing. All three end up with a lower disposal efficiency than you would expect.

I agree with you that Lindsay is one of the most reliable field kicks in the pool. Armstrong and Berry look to be the best set shot kicks.

Overall I think FOS is just class, has vision and technique, lovely timing off the boot and can make a footy talk. He's probably my number 1 for best kick.

Thanks mate. It's a real interesting discussion point because there isn't any obvious standout ball user like there has been in previous years (Sheezel, Daicos ect).

I think a lot of the kids in the top 30 are technically sound kicks, but some don't have the composure to match, leading to rushed disposals and over kicking the footy (Lalor, Lombard, Draper). Then you have a few neat/reliable kicks but they don't tend to take on too much risk (Ashcroft, J.Smith, Harry Oliver).

Smillie and Langford are both booming kicks of the footy capable of hitting 40+ lace out kicks to space, but the two of them are very inconsistent. Smillie is prone to kicking the ball to flat to leading targets and Langford can blaze away from time to time trying to kick the skin off it.

Personally, I'd have Hotton, Reid and Lindsay up there as well, with Jesse Dattoli and Harry Oliver also up there. River Stevens and Pat Retschko are two others you'd want kicking the ball inside 50 to leading targets.

Would GC take an end of first rounder and our future first for 6 and 11? Assuming the new system is in and they need a first to match Lombard early. Would allow us to do something like:

Out: F1, 22 + (for example) Phillips
In: O'Sullivan, Armstrong, Travaglia

There is no benefit to them in trading back, they don't need more points. If they trade those picks I think it would be to move up and ahead of a bid.

Thanks mate. It's a real interesting discussion point because there isn't any obvious standout ball user like there has been in previous years (Sheezel, Daicos ect).

I think a lot of the kids in the top 30 are technically sound kicks, but some don't have the composure to match, leading to rushed disposals and over kicking the footy (Lalor, Lombard, Draper). Then you have a few neat/reliable kicks but they don't tend to take on too much risk (Ashcroft, J.Smith, Harry Oliver).

Smillie and Langford are both booming kicks of the footy capable of hitting 40+ lace out kicks to space, but the two of them are very inconsistent. Smillie is prone to kicking the ball to flat to leading targets and Langford can blaze away from time to time trying to kick the skin off it.

Personally, I'd have Hotton, Reid and Lindsay up there as well, with Jesse Dattoli and Harry Oliver also up there. River Stevens and Pat Retschko are two others you'd want kicking the ball inside 50 to leading targets.
I've been comparing Reid to Sam Mitchell in kicking style. Precise and creative over short and medium distances, fantastic vision, but doesn't often try to bite off something risky or outside of his comfort zone. Ashcroft is similar, but he will sometimes just bomb it long if he needs to which Reid tries to avoid.

Harry Oliver and Luke Trainor are similar to me, technically sound and efficient coming out of defense. Capable of hitting long targets... but its easier to be efficient coming out of defense with the ground and space opening up. Also with less pressure and zone defenses not as well implemented at this level.

I think compared to last year where there really were very few really good ball users by foot in the entire pool, this year we're blessed with a number of them. There are also plenty of kids like the falcons boys Ivisic and Jaques who are solidly above average without being standouts.

Our aim is to make in roads next yr and start climbing the ladder. I would be hoping to get out of the bottom four. So do we take the risk and trade the future first out . With the new team coming in draft picks at the top end will be harder to come by. We need a kpf and a small crumbing forward in particular.

Langford has an ldu gait with ball in hand. And at 190cm. Sold.

I was also sold on Lalor…
Yep whoever lands them will be very lucky but I'd say they're more 6-10 range though at this point.
Langford's kicking efficiency is the concern and he's not super quick to the eye but he can take grabs forward.
Lalor's got that Fogarty or Dusty build and knows where the goals are. He really could be anything.

I expect we will see more live trading in the first 2 rounds than we ever have before.
With how even the draft is at the top, I would imagine every clubs draft boards will look different.
It will certainly make for an interesting trade night. Hopefully we can fleece someone desperate to get our pick/s
Yep could well be possible. I'll be interesting to see if any pick swaps happen in trade week with teams in the top 10 picks potentially offloading some of those picks to make deals for mature players like Crows, GC and WCE to name a few.

Yep whoever lands them will be very lucky but I'd say they're more 6-10 range though at this point.
Langford's kicking efficiency is the concern and he's not super quick to the eye but he can take grabs forward.
Lalor's got that Fogarty or Dusty build and knows where the goals are. He really could be anything.
As a soccer fan I've lost an embarrassing amount of my life to playing Football Manager. In that game they separate out Pace and Acceleration as player attributes, which I think is useful in understanding Langford. His acceleration is not great, but once he gets out into space his top end speed is solid. He can motor down a wing with long strides and take territory very nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The awful conditions didn't much bother Travaglia who seemed to enjoy sliding around and crashing into people in the mud. His nine tackles were a standout, but perhaps more impressive was his ability to hit the scoreboard and convert with a slippery footy. Unfortunately, not enough of his teammates followed his example, and Bendigo suffered a heavy loss.

Did River play over the weekend
He played for Geelong College vs Scotch at Scotch. I went for the first half in horrid cold conditions.

He played on ball basically the whole time I was there. He did pretty well but it was such a slog that it was hard for anyone to stand out.

I will say he is very slight of build - even by schoolboy standards.

Stevo was there (in the sausage and bread tent!).

As a soccer fan I've lost an embarrassing amount of my life to playing Football Manager. In that game they separate out Pace and Acceleration as player attributes, which I think is useful in understanding Langford. His acceleration is not great, but once he gets out into space his top end speed is solid. He can motor down a wing with long strides and take territory very nicely.
Yep you're right, acceleration is more accurate. He's more that Jack Crisp workhorse who gains momentum.

Langford had a superb Champs series and was duly named joint winner of the Larke medal for player of the tournament.

Looks a real natural footballer,,,,,,be interesting to see how he tests athletically. I dunno but is he a touch slow to be at the real pointy end?

The awful conditions didn't much bother Travaglia who seemed to enjoy sliding around and crashing into people in the mud. His nine tackles were a standout, but perhaps more impressive was his ability to hit the scoreboard and convert with a slippery footy. Unfortunately, not enough of his teammates followed his example, and Bendigo suffered a heavy loss.

Could this guy do a Bont and fly into the top 5.

Looks a real natural footballer,,,,,,be interesting to see how he tests athletically. I dunno but is he a touch slow to be at the real pointy end?

Didn’t teat real flash in the pre-season for speed or the yo-yo.

I’d imagine the yo-yo has improved significant since the start of the year. The eye test suggests he covers the ground now really well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back