Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question for everyone. Why isn’t Travaglia a top 5 prospect? Every time I’ve seen him his intercept marking and overhead is close to best in class. Overlap run and disposal high level. Has shown at Coates going forward and kicking goals. What am I missing?
O’Sullivan, Travalia and Langford are three that intrigue me the most.

Genuine question for everyone. Why isn’t Travaglia a top 5 prospect? Every time I’ve seen him his intercept marking and overhead is close to best in class. Overlap run and disposal high level. Has shown at Coates going forward and kicking goals. What am I missing?

The video posted didn't do him a great deal of justice, but comparing the Langford one to the Trav one... I know who I'd be picking.

With his midfield efforts recently I could definitely see him developing into a Will Day type in time.

His versatility is a big selling point for mine, can play midfield, wing or ideally across half back.

The biggest downside in his game is probably his kicking, at times it can be very hit and miss.

With his midfield efforts recently I could definitely see him developing into a Will Day type in time.

His versatility is a big selling point for mine, can play midfield, wing or ideally across half back.

The biggest downside in his game is probably his kicking, at times it can be very hit and miss.
Do you think it's something that can be improved? Is it technique, decision making or a bit of both?

Given the number of players on our list who are already poor or limited with their disposal by foot I really
think we should be targeting players who address this list issue.

Do you think it's something that can be improved? Is it technique, decision making or a bit of both?

Given the number of players on our list who are already poor or limited with their disposal by foot I really
Interested in roos_fanatic08 take... I feel like he's just naturally a bit awkward and unco. Not really bad perse but I feel like he's going to have to put more time than most kids into refining his technique and getting smoother through repetition. You even see it in his handballing where he'll often put a jerky whole body movement into the motion.

I don't think he has any massive flaws that would require completely retraining the technique.

On the decision making thing, he's actually pretty calm and measured with ball in hand. You'd expect that he might be prone to a rush of blood given he's such an intense "bull at a gate" type of operator but his decision making is good from what I've seen.

Last edited:
The awful conditions didn't much bother Travaglia who seemed to enjoy sliding around and crashing into people in the mud. His nine tackles were a standout, but perhaps more impressive was his ability to hit the scoreboard and convert with a slippery footy. Unfortunately, not enough of his teammates followed his example, and Bendigo suffered a heavy loss.

That’ll play well at Marvel!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interested in roos_fanatic08 take... I feel like he's just naturally a bit awkward and unco. Not really bad perse but I feel like he's going to have to put more time than most kids into refining his technique and getting smoother through repetition. You even see it in his handballing where he'll often put a jerky whole body movement into the motion.

I don't think he has any massive flaws that would require completely retraining the technique.

It's definitely not decision making, ball in hand he makes the right decisions most of the time. Match that with his good vision and high footy IQ, he has the ability to play all over the ground.

I think noobermensch put it best. He has a bit of an uncoordinated kicking style, technically it is okay, but he seems to take him a long time to dispose of the ball (kind of like Darcy Tucker with his weird ball drop). I think it's because of his high knee running action and long legs, it just doesn't make for a real fluid kicking style. Results in him kicking the ball quite high, rather than low and flat, even with shorter 25-30m kicks. I think this clip below highlights it really well.

The hang time in his kicks, plus the time it takes for him to dispose of the ball is a bit of a concern with the increased speed at AFL level.

It's a bit pedantic, but I guess you have to be when you are judging talent in that top tier.

It was the same with Hardeman in a sense, both good kicks but prone to the odd miss.

The thing with Travaglia which is the same with Hardeman is that the drive they give off half back is so important. Travaglia is always going forward after strong intercepts. Loves a give and go.

A mixed bag for Jack here. He showed his running power to get around the ground and present as a roaming marking target for his teammates, but struggled all game to mark the footy, dropping a lot that he got his hands to and double grabbing the ones he did take. He did manage to stay involved and dangerous when the footy hit the ground though, even snapping a lovely running goal in the last quarter as Murray surged ahead on the scoreboard.

Travaglia doesn't quite have the classy disposal by hand and foot as some others. Very good athlete. Will Day potential.

Watching more Lalor clips, I'm seeing a bit of Toby Greene as a half forward and weirdly a bit of Dane Swan burst as a mid.
Very strong overhead, fend-off, some nice handballs with the left, knows where the goals are, tackling pressure is great, probably lacks a bit on the damaging ball use side compared to some others. Would he be too similar to Zurhaar?

Big fan of Langford but pick 3 is probably too early. He's just a good footballer, 190cm frame, runs hard, tackles hard, he seems to bob up in all the other players clips. Penetrating left foot kick, can miss a few but seems to be mostly when he's switching sideways (Bo Allen similar, maybe it's a left foot thing lol), good mark overhead, competitive and tough as nails.

I'd give up a F1 to get Langford/Travaglia/Lalor and Armstrong. The benefit of Lalor/Travaglia/Lalor is they can almost play anywhere, particularly Langford and Travaglia. Lalor probably more mid/fwd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've already got our own Travaglia with better skills and he's more courageous.

He's literally just signed on for another 2 years today.

Completely different players

Travaglia can play any third of the ground

And he’s more of a rebounding backman as opposed to archer who is lockdown. They’d actually compliment each other well.

Full highlights of the fantastic Champs run by Metro MVP Murphy Reid.

Geez I hadn't really considered him all that much for pick 2/3 but I certainly noticed him in all the games.
He has some real x-factor and class and ability to weave in traffic. I think he's got a bit more tricks than Jagga.
Could he play as a small forward to start with? It'll be interesting to see how the recruiters rank them in the top 10.

To be fair roos_fanatic08 , nearly every top 10-15 mids/Wings/HBF/HFF all have this issue when being scouted during their draft years..does he hit more than he misses, are those misses easy or trying to force it under pressure etc etc? Unless there's an obvious skill and judgement errors, Travaglia shows all the hallmarks of at least forcing himself into top 5 conversation...he could be a Bailey Dale, Kiddie Coleman, Myles Bergman or a Will Day...lets hope Hardeman turns out to be our Travaglia!

We've already got our own Travaglia with better skills and he's more courageous.

He's literally just signed on for another 2 years today.

Nah, different players. I wouldn't question Travaglia's toughness or courage either, he puts his body on the line week in week out. One of the reasons I rate him so much.

Travaglia is a genuinely an elite interceptor and accumulates the footy with ease. You'd expect him to be a 25+ disposal half back within a few years time. Can also play wing and through the midfield too.

He is a smooth mover this kid. Definitely has the tools to excel in the modern game. Quick, composed, good ball user. Any chance he challenges the big 5 or does he go 6-10 range?
The questions around his lack of athleticism will limit his appeal a little I think unless he can prove people wrong at the combine.

It's definitely not decision making, ball in hand he makes the right decisions most of the time. Match that with his good vision and high footy IQ, he has the ability to play all over the ground.

I think noobermensch put it best. He has a bit of an uncoordinated kicking style, technically it is okay, but he seems to take him a long time to dispose of the ball (kind of like Darcy Tucker with his weird ball drop). I think it's because of his high knee running action and long legs, it just doesn't make for a real fluid kicking style. Results in him kicking the ball quite high, rather than low and flat, even with shorter 25-30m kicks. I think this clip below highlights it really well.

The hang time in his kicks, plus the time it takes for him to dispose of the ball is a bit of a concern with the increased speed at AFL level.

It's a bit pedantic, but I guess you have to be when you are judging talent in that top tier.

Hang time is becoming a killer at AFL level. Especially over 25-30m.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back