Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooper Hynes with another standout performance today . 35 disposals & a goal … really pushing his name forward .
The Dandy duo in Hynes and Langford are two of my favourite players in this years draft. Hynes is a bit more rough around the edges and a bit less athletic than Langford but then two of them have incredible upside.

Langford kind of reminds me of Goater in some ways. Langford already has a more developed tank though.

So I gather he’s a mid by the disposal count - what type is he and height / speed

Hynes is a 190cm mid who can also play lead up roles in the forward line. Hard worker between the arcs, equally capable at getting the footy inside and outside the contest. He is averaging 26.4 disposals, 3.3 tackles, 4.6 marks and 5.7 inside 50’s per game this year.

Yes, and while Ollie is a good two way runner, this guy is a lot better, in fact I'll go on to say he's bloody good and a lot of improvement to come, his name, Finn O'Sullivan. I know a lot of posters go on about smallish mids and that we have enough of them but this guy is very good, runs both ways and for a player of his size {182cm} is good overhead.
O’Sullivan or Smith I feel will be the best fits for our current midfield.

O’Sullivan with his running power or Smith with his silliness and speed.

CCJ trade only looks bad in hindsight??? It was a stinker at the time! And plenty of people knew it!!!!
C’mon Vapour. We got a freebie 2nd Rounder from the AFL the following year. That alone makes a shit trade palatable. I’ve got plenty of other excuses that explain away the myriad of poor decisions the club has made over the past 5 years. Thanks to the Turd Polishers that post on this forum. :stern look

Reason for Edit: You work it out. :stern look

Last edited:
noobermensch Im hearing that Smillie’s disposal is quite ordinary. Confirm or deny?
Deny. First I'll say that I'm not an expert biomechanist, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think his kicking action is fluid and smooth. When he's balanced and punches through the footy he gets good penetration. I think he gets lazy on his kicks at times, and has shanked a few under pressure.

I made this same point in my last video. Harley is currently ranked as one of the most damaging kicks by foot in the AFL. At this time last year lots of draft watchers wanted to rank Jed Walter ahead of Harley due to questions about his kicking. There are reasons why disposal efficiency can suffer at junior level, one of which is the options you're kicking to are not at the same level. There are no Charlie Curnow's in the Talent League.

I tend to get most concerned when a kid has a dodgy kicking technique, a hitch or bad ball drop etc. But even then, recruiters say that kicking is one of the most fixable skills in the game.

Deny. First I'll say that I'm not an expert biomechanist.

I think his kicking action is fluid and smooth. When he's balanced and punches through the footy he gets good penetration. I think he gets lazy on his kicks at times, and has shanked a few under pressure.

I made this same point in my last video. Harley is currently ranked as one of the most damaging kicks by foot in the AFL. At this time last year lots of draft watchers wanted to rank Jed Walter ahead of Harley due to questions about his kicking. There are reasons why disposal efficiency can suffer at junior level, one of which is the options you're kicking to are not at the same level. There are no Charlie Curnow's in the Talent League.

I tend to get most concerned when a kid has a dodgy kicking technique, a hitch or bad ball drop etc. But even then, recruiters say that kicking is one of the most fixable skills in the game.
Im being sold on him at number 1 pick.

If you want an example of a prospect who's kicking skills will likely harm his draft rank, check out Ben Camporeale. He has both a weird ball drop and a bent knee hitch. More than half of his kicks end up helicoptering wildly way off where he wanted it to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C’mon Vapour. We got a freebie 2nd Rounder from the AFL the following year. That alone makes a shit trade palatable. I’ve got plenty of other excuses that explain away the myriad of poor decisions the club has made over the past 5 decisions. Thanks to the Turd Polishers that post on this forum. :stern look

Big men take time - by 2040 he’ll be up to 5 touches a game

If you want an example of a prospect who's kicking skills will likely harm his draft rank, check out Ben Camporeale. He has both a weird ball drop and a bent knee hitch. More than half of his kicks end up helicoptering wildly way off where he wanted it to go.

One of the most bizarre kicking actions I’ve ever seen. Don’t really understand how his and Lucas kicking action are so different.

If Smillie ends up being a Pick 3 behind Smith & O’Sullivan. Could trade out pick 1 for pick 3 & another 1st round pick. Then Smillie + KPF

Will Brodie is still running around in the wafl getting 30 disposals a game. Big bodied mid.
Must be coming out of contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back