Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Smillie ends up being a Pick 3 behind Smith & O’Sullivan. Could trade out pick 1 for pick 3 & another 1st round pick. Then Smillie + KPF

We would have to add our second round pick to make this trade attractive to a team that finishes 16th. There is no way any battling club is giving up two first round picks (including pick 3) for the number 1 pick this year without something else coming back. We aren't talking about a Harley Reid here.

Finn O'sullivan followed by Josh Smillie, the top two guys in the draft, leaving Levi out because he's going to Brisbane.
Its a little bit funny, I rate one of the strengths of Finns game is his ability to get back and help in defence, in Josh's case his main strength is his attacking ability inside 50. Unless someone goes banana's they will go top 2 in the draft but still half the year to play out yet and we've just started the champs so still time for things to happen.
If the decision was in your hands solely, what would it take for you to be tempted to trade out of the top 2?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

If we were to trade pick 1 then you’d expect to get a top 5 pick a later first rounder say 10-15 and a F1.

And as I recall, the much-touted offer from Adelaide for pick 1 in the Jason Horne Francis draft was pick 4 plus two future first rounders (which ended up being 5 and 14), but we would have had to give back a future second rounder (which was pick 19). I don't think anyone would be prepared to offer the equivalent deal to secure O'Sullivan or Smillie as they did for JHF.

And as I recall, the much-touted offer from Adelaide for pick 1 in the Jason Horne Francis draft was pick 4 plus two future first rounders (which ended up being 5 and 14), but we would have had to give back a future second rounder (which was pick 19). I don't think anyone would be prepared to offer the equivalent deal to secure O'Sullivan or Smillie as they did for JHF.
...and if David Noble had his time again, he might have taken the deal

If we were to trade pick 1 then you’d expect to get a top 5 pick a later first rounder say 10-15 and a F1.

Is the demand really gonna be there this year to get a bounty of picks for it?. I’m personally not that excited about the top prospects this year and really can’t see a club paying through the nose for them.

Would you do that with what you know of the draft pool?

Obviously there is still a bit to play out with the champs ect but this years draft pool is pretty even, outside of O’Sullivan/Smillie there isn’t really any premier talent. But the overall talent of the draft and the potential for solid B grade types extends out further than previous years.

We need more influx of genuine talent particularly for talls and small forwards so if I had the choice I’d split our first and try and get a combination of Trainor/O’Farrell and Kako. Then with our 2nd round pick I’d look to take one of the taller midfielders in Hynes/Langford or perhaps a key forward that has slipped down the order
like Faull, Shanahan, Whitlock ect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't spilt our first pick, it will not happen.
This splitting of picks we no doubt reach draft wee watto the wizard watson levels soon enough.
Which we were also never doing.
Which crazy club will offer us 3 legitimate first rounders for pick 1. Legitimate being 18 and under.
The Tiger offered for Jase 7, 15 , 26 and CCJ.
Pick 1 hasn't been traded for 21 years, well we have Brady so they may change soon enough.

If the decision was in your hands solely, what would it take for you to be tempted to trade out of the top 2?

Wow, thats a very hard and a good question to answer right now but I'll do my best to give you an answer with still so much to play out. A top 5 pick is a the first port of call, followed by either pick 8, 9, or 10 and a future first. My reasoning is, at the moment, your main top tier talent is arguably in the top 10 players and if we're going to be giving away Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan then we have to get and use two top ten picks this year as that will speed up our rebuild and an extra first round pick in next years draft, well, that looks so tantalising its not funny.

There are pros & cons with these scenarios but good recruiters weigh these up with the risk and reward, so not everyone will agree as what to do. The last point is remembering what Alastair, Todd, Brady and Will have spoken about in the last twelve months in regards to our list and strategy in drafts and trade and free agency. This year if something like this were to happen I think it would require 3 clubs as Gold Coast have picks 8,9,20,26 and 29 while Fremantle have picks 10,12 16 and 24 so you see the problem, but with the swapping of picks if a team wanted Finn or Josh bad enough then you never know.

Remember that Gold Coast have around 5 more players in academy picks to get so I guess the question will be asked would they swap next years future for a top 5 or 6 pick and offer us say 5 or 6 and 8 and 9, that's 3 top 10 picks but needing points for their academy players that probably seems unlikely. Looking at the players in this years draft, factoring in sliders and risers, that's what it would take for me to do it and even then you have to have a club or two to come into the discussion. Sorry for the long post. :north:

We have to start talking about Lombard as a legit top 5 pick if not a pick 1 contender. No player has been better performed this season than Leo, no player is more dangerous and damaging with ball in hand. He setup as more of an outside receiver in this game on the attacking side of the contest and consistently found space for linking chains, either setting up his teammates or finishing himself.

Is the demand really gonna be there this year to get a bounty of picks for it?. I’m personally not that excited about the top prospects this year and really can’t see a club paying through the nose for them.
Opinions change quite quickly after the champs and with half the year to go its a wait and see, closer to the draft you will see excitement build up rather quickly. At the moment it does look like only Gold Coast or Freo but the issue is Gold Coast need points for their academy players and Freo don't have that top 5 pick that we would need as part of the package.

Smille's last 2 weeks have been massive and should be our top pick.

5 goals and over 60 possies in 2 weeks. At 194cm we can't pass on the next Gree/Bont/Cripps type.
Yes Smille is looking good but unless we get the following a good CHF maybe Teakle that can kick 65M bombs take pack marks that chop out Xerri in the ruck or a Key Back to help Coor,Comben and Louge unless we get a free agency player then we need to use pick 1 on a key position player.
Smille is this years Reid would love to have him but also need key position players 1st

Yes Smille is looking good but unless we get the following a good CHF maybe Teakle that can kick 65M bombs take pack marks that chop out Xerri in the ruck or a Key Back to help Coor,Comben and Louge unless we get a free agency player then we need to use pick 1 on a key position player.
Smille is this years Reid would love to have him but also need key position players 1st
What happens though if the best KPP is ranked outside the top say 6-7 pick. Do you still use pick 1 on him.

Instead of splitting our pick 1. They play has to be doing a deal with Adelaide for our future 1st.

There’s a very real possibility they’ll finish bottom four this year. This will allow us to draft Smillie/O’Sullivan and Trainor and still have a 1st round pick next year.

What happens though if the best KPP is ranked outside the top say 6-7 pick. Do you still use pick 1 on him.
Well considering we have heaps of mid fielders then yes .
But if Teakle gets his AFL shot with us and fires and helps us get some wins and Louge comes back around round 17 or 18 and plays with well straight away and helps Coor and Comben then take Smille at 1

Well considering we have heaps of mid fielders then yes .
But if Teakle gets his AFL shot with us and fires and helps us get some wins and Louge comes back around round 17 or 18 and plays with well straight away and helps Coor and Comben then take Smille at 1
If that's the case you would be better off splitting pick 1 Not a great idea in my view should always take best available but that's only my opinion.

Instead of splitting our pick 1. They play has to be doing a deal with Adelaide for our future 1st.

There’s a very real possibility they’ll finish bottom four this year. This will allow us to draft Smillie/O’Sullivan and Trainor and still have a 1st round pick next year.
Am I missing something here? You're advocating trading out our first round pick next year but you say we will still have a first round pick next year. How does that work?

If that's the case you would be better off splitting pick 1 Not a great idea in my view should always take best available but that's only my opinion.
Well that’s your opinion and your entitled to it but in saying that if people are saying Smille is in the class of a Bontempelli and with Reid been a class above can’t see North not taking him at 1.
That all could change if Louge goes down again and Teakle is a dud and no good then you would have to prey for a key position player comes to us by free agency and that doesn’t happen then pick 1 will need to be a Key position player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back