Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Smillie is such a weird prospect.

You'd think a 194cm midfielder would be elite on the inside, strong in the air and/or break tackles as a key feature of his game. You'd also think he provides a real physical defensive element at stoppages. He's not any of these things, at least they're not key features of his game.

Instead, you get a top 5 ball user by foot in this draft crop, who is clean below his knees, composed and also spreads well from the contest.

He's the weirdest top-end prospect I can remember.

It's why I think he's more Bont than Cripps/Green.

Bont is still a contested player, but he plays as a first receiver next to Libba.

I see this how he would function next to Wardlaw.

Smillie isn't as polished as Bont, but he's possibly more athletic.

I think Smillie will beat all of Cripps, Bont and Green's respective 20m times in their 18th year, although you might have his preseason tests already.

Here I give my thoughts on how things are shaping up in the years AFL National Draft. I cover:

• High level thoughts on the pool (depth, strength and composition)
  • My top 20 prospects pre-champs
  • Predictions for the champs series and some players to look out for

Trying something new here so thanks for watching and I hope its a worthwhile exercise.

That was outstanding mate. Probably the best draft video I've seen, better than anything the AFL spits up.

What a crazy performance from Jagga, 50 disposals! Whenever someone racks up a ton of the footy there will always be scepticism about how effective they were, and there were some junk possessions in here for sure as Jagga can struggle to hit targets when under pressure. But largely his use was tidy by hand and foot, and more importantly he was a massive influence in the 4th quarter when his Chargers team mounted a huge comeback kicking goal after goal with Jagga involved in almost every scoring chain.

Apologies for the lack of sound, the broadcast had none for some reason.

Here I give my thoughts on how things are shaping up in the years AFL National Draft. I cover:

• High level thoughts on the pool (depth, strength and composition)
  • My top 20 prospects pre-champs
  • Predictions for the champs series and some players to look out for

Trying something new here so thanks for watching and I hope its a worthwhile exercise.

Agree with KC mate, that’s a comprehensive yet concise overview for us highlights watching plebs and is much appreciated. Well done! 👍

Dunno how we do it, but I'd love it if we could find a way to get both Kako & either Evan Bradley or Joe Berry. Getting two genuine small forwards with goal kicking nous and ability to pressure would go a LOOOOOONG way to fixing our issues inside forward 50.

I doubt that would happen though, as we also need desperately need to pick key forwards and other developing talls.

I'm coming around to the opinion that if there is a draft where you split a draft pick inside the top 5 then this would be the draft to do it, considering how even it is and how many different types of players there are.

What a crazy performance from Jagga, 50 disposals! Whenever someone racks up a ton of the footy there will always be scepticism about how effective they were, and there were some junk possessions in here for sure as Jagga can struggle to hit targets when under pressure. But largely his use was tidy by hand and foot, and more importantly he was a massive influence in the 4th quarter when his Chargers team mounted a huge comeback kicking goal after goal with Jagga involved in almost every scoring chain.

Apologies for the lack of sound, the broadcast had none for some reason.

If Jagga was 183-85cm and built like Sanders, he'd be the clear No.1 and we'd be talking about him as a N.Dacios. He's been lighting up for 2 years now and if we wanted a pure accumulating, ball magnet midfield machine then Jagga's it ... as great as McKercher's been, always thought this draft was the one we target a midfielder like a Jagga since top agers Kercher & Sanders were the only mids to better Jagga stats wise in the carnival last year.

Alas, seems like Smillie is the raging No.1 and likely our top pick but Jagga is some player at this current age...50 possessions...geeezus!!!

Last edited:
If Jagga was 183-85cm and built like Sanders, he'd be the clear No.1 and we'd be talking about him as a N.Dacios. He's been lighting up for 2 years now and if we wanted a pure accumulating, ball magnet midfield machine then Jagga's it ... as great as McKercher's been, always thought this draft was the one we target a midfielder like a Jagga since top agers Kercher & Sanders were the only mids to better Jagga stats wise in the carnival last year.

Alas, seems like Smillie is the raging No.1 and likely our top pick but Jagga is some player at this current age...50 possessions...geeezus!!!
So what you’re saying is… Jagga could be the final piece that allows both McKercher and Sheezel out of half-back, and into the midfield?

Sold.

Enjoy HBF Jaga.

Smillie is such a weird prospect.

You'd think a 194cm midfielder would be elite on the inside, strong in the air and/or break tackles as a key feature of his game. You'd also think he provides a real physical defensive element at stoppages. He's not any of these things, at least they're not key features of his game.

Instead, you get a top 5 ball user by foot in this draft crop, who is clean below his knees, composed and also spreads well from the contest.

He's the weirdest top-end prospect I can remember.
Midfield Jack Watts?

So what you’re saying is… Jagga could be the final piece that allows both McKercher and Sheezel out of half-back, and into the midfield?

Sold.

Enjoy HBF Jaga.
Nah, l actually think Jagga is a better midfielder than McKercher and Sheezel, all three are different players (Sheez more forward than mid) but Jagga smells where the ball is and just seems to be such a great link up player...great hands.

Put it this way, Jagga has Simpkin and WilPhil covered imo ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1990s. Assuming it was sparked by River Phoenix's acting career, and not his trip to the Viper Room.

Fun fact: River Phoenix's birth surname was Bottom.

My nephew is a Phoenix and I suspect the name became more popular from the early 2000's for two reasons - the Ace Attorney series of games (with Phoenix Wright as the protagonist) and then a couple of years later the Harry Potter book. It's funny when you think about it (to some degree) but River would be in his mid 50's by now. I wonder if he would have been as beloved as his contemporary Keanu Reeves.

Anyone with any news about Finn O'sullivan saw his highlights vs Skevs but haven't heard much since. I really rate him and hope he continues his form as i'd love to have him at North even over blokes like Smilie and Jagga.

Anyone with any news about Finn O'sullivan saw his highlights vs Skevs but haven't heard much since. I really rate him and hope he continues his form as i'd love to have him at North even over blokes like Smilie and Jagga.
He's out injured.

So we got young Geordie as expected at 1 and Teakle at pick 16 in the mid-season draft. Very smart by Will and co, a back up if Tristan gets injured and can fill in that CHF role, at 203cm he's quite athletic and Geordie, while he can play of half back I think we're going to use him as a small pressure forward.

So come the end of the year what happened in the mid-season draft tells me we are going to get a key forward in the national draft if we don't trade for one in the free agency period, and even if we do, I still think we have our eyes on several key forwards in the national draft, so these champs are going to be very interesting indeed!

The key forwards to keep an eye on in these championships and for the rest of the year in my opinion are :Jonty Faull, Jack Whitlock, Kayle Gerryn, Adrian Cole {can play key defender or key forward} he is St Kilda academy pick, Charlie Nicholls, and Jobe Shanahan and a mention to Tom Luck from Woodville-West Torrens another boy who can play key forward or key defender.
Movie Warning GIF by NETFLIX

He might not be available to draft for another year, but Sharp has no problems matching it with the older kids on the biggest junior stage of all. Sharp split his time between half back and on ball. When played through the middle he was relentless at stoppage winning clearances driving the ball forward. He laid a number of strong tackles, some of which forced turnovers. His football IQ and work rate allows him to move to where he needs to be a step ahead of the play and his opponent.

He might not be available to draft for another year, but Sharp has no problems matching it with the older kids on the biggest junior stage of all. Sharp split his time between half back and on ball. When played through the middle he was relentless at stoppage winning clearances driving the ball forward. He laid a number of strong tackles, some of which forced turnovers. His football IQ and work rate allows him to move to where he needs to be a step ahead of the play and his opponent.

Wish he was available in this draft. I'd have no hesitation taking him at 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back