Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Love to know what the knock on this bloke is, looks top 5 to me! feel he will land at Hawks and play 250 games

Didn't test that well in the pre-season testing for the yoyo or 2km time trial. He passes the eye test for me in regards to those things now, he covers the ground well, has repeat efforts and spreads well from the stoppages. Can't teach what he has upstairs with his body positioning and ability to read the play. I really hope that he and Smillie go head to head in the VC VM game.

His body of work simply can't be ignored. Has played consistent and damaging football all year for Stingrays, been close to best on in the academy games playing more outside on the wing, and his Vic Country form would have him pressing for the Larke medal in the Carnival. Jagga Smith and Levi Ashcroft get more of the footy, but I'd rather 25 touches from Langford over 35 touches from Smith or Ashcroft.

Didn't test that well in the pre-season testing for the yoyo or 2km time trial. He passes the eye test for me in regards to those things now, he covers the ground well, has repeat efforts and spreads well from the stoppages. Can't teach what he has upstairs with his body positioning and ability to read the play. I really hope that he and Smillie go head to head in the VC VM game.

His body of work simply can't be ignored. Has played consistent and damaging football all year for Stingrays, been close to best on in the academy games playing more outside on the wing, and his Vic Country form would have him pressing for the Larke medal in the Carnival. Jagga Smith and Levi Ashcroft get more of the footy, but I'd rather 25 touches from Langford over 35 touches from Smith or Ashcroft.
I think from memory it was the other way around, that the endurance tests were strong, but he tested poorly on 20m sprint and agility.

FOS.

Plays off the wing.

The same place as Dylan Stephens, Bailey Scott and Liam Shiels has lined up this season.

I doubt there's a bigger positional upgrade we could achieve at the top of the draft than that one.

There's no midfield group I can remember in recent times that would have the quality of FOS and McKercher lining up on wings, with the strength of our clearance group.

It really would be the perfect young midfield group.

I really don't even think the likes of Gold Coast, Fremantle, Sydney etc are even competing with that long term, no matter what they throw at us.
At pick 2-4, FOS would need to be the 2nd coming of Peter Matera.

I agree it's an area we need to upgrade, though.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Faull continued his path back to full match fitness with a solid performance at the Champs for Vic Country. Even when he doesn't find a lot of the footy Faull always manages to have an impact with his scrappy and competitive play creating scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates.

Going to be an interesting run home and combine results! feels like the one year its ok to win a few on the way home! I went into the office today and work mates now saying we are stuffing up again by winning like last year! Tried to tell them its a prety even top 4

Love to know what the knock on this bloke is, looks top 5 to me! feel he will land at Hawks and play 250 games

There isn't too many other than footspeed and maybe a tank.

Clarko did draft a similar type 15 years ago and his name was Jordan Lewis.

He's a good player and is going to land at a very nice spot for a side just outside the top 8.

Im sure someone like Collingwood would have absolutely loved a dip down and land someone like him. Freo have their pick and Langford is the last thing Freo need, just like us.

I could see him as a very nice replacement for Clayton Oliver at Melbourne.

Or again, another piece in the Dogs midfield rebuild with Sanders.

There's a few sides like Us, Fremantle, GC, Hawthorn that are flush with young center square midfielders to an extent, it will be interesting to see what they do in a midfield dominant draft.

The flexible mids in the first 10 or so that we will all be hunting will be FOS, Lalor, Murphy Reid.

Hawthorn have been chasing Bailey Smith and the most like Smith is probably FOS or Jagga. Jagga might get through to them potentially.

Fremantle will have the Pies pick where ever that lands and don't need clearance midfielders. Like us, they will be looking for runners to compliment a very strong clearance group.

GC are getting Lombard anyway and have Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Humphrey, Flanders, Graham.

Going to be a very intriguing trade/week draft indeed.

Last edited:
Absolute #1 set up is:

Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw and Sheezel.

Powell, Simpkin and Phillips rotate in and out.
Don't really think Sheez would be a starting mid IMO.

If we look at the weekend and add Wardlaw...is this the best centre bounce 6 that we have?

Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw
Tucker (W) Powell(C) B.Scott(W)

Rotation:
Teakle, Simpkin, Phillips, Sheez, Stephens, Kerch*, Shiels, Taylor.
Pinch hitter: Zurhaar.
(*) rookie.

I do think we one midfielder/winger short if you wanted to a have a solid 2nd rotation centre 6 but do you actually have them on the list already? Goater, he cannot play on the wing? Pity Sausage did his knee again as he was suppose to spend time in the mid as well after a stint at HBF? Payne, haven't seen enough of him but his draft year suggest he a mid fwd? Goad will be the ruck of the future, has he played up forward at VFL?

This draft is so deep with mids, almost the top 20 could all be mids so do we spend the pick on player like a FOS or Smillie and just fit them in? Or do you draft them a tradeable commodities of the future?

How many sides have two amazing KPF's at the moment or even recently?

Carlton?
Geelong?
Richmond?

Carlton have won nothing yet and Geelong jagged one in a bit of a transitional year post covid.

The last one was 2020 with Lynch and Riewoldt and they were hardly THE reason they won those flags.

Collingwood just won the flag with Mihocek, Cox and Frampton leading the line.
Beating a side with Danniher and Hipwood, whilst good players, are hardly Franklin and Roughead.

The year prior Geelong beating the corpse of Franklin and Sam Reid.

The year prior it was Ben Brown (the shadow of the player here) and Tom McDonald who is a better defender....
They beat Josh Schache and Aaron Naughton.

Then Geelong (without Cameron) lost with Hawkins and Rohan playing as a psuedo key forward.

Sydney are a few games clear with Logan McDonald and Amartey at the moment, these guys are hardly world beaters at the moment.

My point with all this is, we have an A grade key forward already. We don't need to go out and spend a kings ransom on Ben King, or Sam Darcy or Charlie Curnow. Whilst they would of course be nice, our list needs improvements across most lines.

We need a support forward for Larkey, preferably an athletic type, who's a good contested mark, who can get up and down the ground to enable Larkey to play deep at FF.

Long term, ideally, if we were really greedy, we probably need a fwd/ruck a level or two above Teakle, who is doing great in that role.

Noah Balta is a RFA next year. He should be priority #1 in Rawlings office of who I'd absolutely be laying the claws into for 2025 as a def/fwd swingman for this side.

Given Richmond will likely land Pick 2 for him next year, he's probably going to be viewed as an acceptable sacrificial lamb. Like we did with McKay.

The real missing piece is then a genuine star crumbing small forward. We need to figure a way of getting into the Kako range.

Draft a FOS/Lalor (Our last top midfield pick) this year.

Draft a Sims/Gerryn as the future ruck forward with the R2 pick. Target Gruzewski with a F2. Even target Derkson with a late pick.

Dangle the F1 to GC for 8 & 10. With the view of Kako, Travaglia, Armstrong etc.

Target Noah Balta with a $850k+ offer in 2025. Go to a $1m if we need to.

Genuine finals/ top 4 assault from 2026 onwards with that side/list.
That maybe true but larkey doesn’t take contested marks regularly.
It shows when we try to rebound from 50 when we don’t have anyone to take contested marks, even mids

That maybe true but larkey doesn’t take contested marks regularly.
It shows when we try to rebound from 50 when we don’t have anyone to take contested marks, even mids

That's why I said it's important whoever that person is needs to be a good athlete and a good contested mark that can work up the ground.

That doesn't necessarily have to be Ben King or Charlie Curnow level player.

Daniel McStay, Matt Taberner, Brody Mihocek, Peter Wright, Todd Marshall are all guys that would have fit that description in previous seasons stat models.

A few left of broadway targets that fit the stat model for 2024 are Elliott Himmelberg and Darcy Fogarty. EH is OOC at the end of the year and Fogarty is a FA next year also.

That's why I said it's important whoever that person is needs to be a good athlete and a good contested mark that can work up the ground.

That doesn't necessarily have to be Ben King or Charlie Curnow level player.

Daniel McStay, Matt Taberner, Brody Mihocek, Peter Wright, Todd Marshall are all guys that would have fit that description in previous seasons stat models.

A few left of broadway targets that fit the stat model for 2024 are Elliott Himmelberg and Darcy Fogarty. EH is OOC at the end of the year and Fogarty is a FA next year also.

I think Gerryn looks a great fit for us as fwd/ ruck. Really like his ruck work too. Seems pretty good at tapping to advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gerryn looks a great fit for us as fwd/ ruck. Really like his ruck work too. Seems pretty good at tapping to advantage

Yes, I like the fit also.

A big physical fwd/ruck is a bit of a point of difference to Larkey and also blends well with Xerri's rucking style imo.

The way Sims launches at the ball though, just screams quality key forward though. He's also going to be a big big boy in 6-7 years, he's huge across his shoulders.

I think he's a guy that might have been viewed as a ruck/fwd for most of his underage footy that develops into a full time KPF also.

I don't think we'd regret either of them at our second pick.

Yes, I like the fit also.

A big physical fwd/ruck is a bit of a point of difference to Larkey and also blends well with Xerri's rucking style imo.

The way Sims launches at the ball though, just screams quality key forward though. He's also going to be a big big boy in 6-7 years, he's huge across his shoulders.

I think he's a guy that might have been viewed as a ruck/fwd for most of his underage footy that develops into a full time KPF also.

I don't think we'd regret either of them at our second pick.

I'll have to take another look at Sims

Stepping up a level to play his first senior SANFL game of the season Sid Draper turned in a seriously impressive display and proved that he can match it against the mature bodies. Playing almost entirely through the middle he finished among the best for South Adelaide with 23 possessions and put to rest any questions about his defensive work rate with 11 tackles among numerous other pressure acts.

Don't really think Sheez would be a starting mid IMO.

If we look at the weekend and add Wardlaw...is this the best centre bounce 6 that we have?

Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw
Tucker (W) Powell(C) B.Scott(W)

Rotation:
Teakle, Simpkin, Phillips, Sheez, Stephens, Kerch*, Shiels, Taylor.
Pinch hitter: Zurhaar.
(*) rookie.

I do think we one midfielder/winger short if you wanted to a have a solid 2nd rotation centre 6 but do you actually have them on the list already? Goater, he cannot play on the wing? Pity Sausage did his knee again as he was suppose to spend time in the mid as well after a stint at HBF? Payne, haven't seen enough of him but his draft year suggest he a mid fwd? Goad will be the ruck of the future, has he played up forward at VFL?

This draft is so deep with mids, almost the top 20 could all be mids so do we spend the pick on player like a FOS or Smillie and just fit them in? Or do you draft them a tradeable commodities of the future?

Hmm does trainor know this?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As long as he can excel on a wing and won't be another centre square mid battling for minutes..

It would be silly to use another top 5 pick on a mid that is just a decent to good winger now, wouldn't it? Hence, the Matera reference.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s a pretty wide gap between a decent to good winger and one of the best of all time in the position isn’t there?

FOS can excel in number of roles, has a massive engine, can mark overhead (important for a wing) and has elite ball use.

He’s pretty much perfectly suited to it, despite playing a lot of center minutes in his junior career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back