Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Jaques or Gerryn are there in the third round for us, you run the pick up and laugh all the way home.

Considering the hype on here for Gerryn and some clearly have got expertise in the area.... what are the knocks on him being so low? If they are talking around 10-15 for Armstrong why is Gerryn 30 spots back.... WA out of sight out of mind?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Considering the hype on here for Gerryn and some clearly have got expertise in the area.... what are the knocks on him being so low? If they are talking around 10-15 for Armstrong why is Gerryn 30 spots back.... WA out of sight out of mind?

I don't understand it. He should be rated at the same level as Sims, Shanahan and company.

He is a fantastic athlete, has a huge frame to build upon, has had some solid games at the championships and his under 18's WAFL form is ridiculous.

My only thought would be that recruiters are expecting him to do more considering he is advanced physically. Maybe they don't see that much upside in him?

I feel like, as much as this board dismisses Smillie, that we are a real chance to take him. I could see him starting at half back next year and being a better fit next to Fisher than McKercher is, at 194cm.

And in 3-4 years he'll be a pretty versatile chess piece to move around the board. Especially if we want to rotate 7-8 mids like Sydney.
Less Bastinac and more Sheezel.

In our previous build, guys like Bastinac would get sucked in at stoppages and create overlap for coast to coast goals from our F50.

Once saw BS go through video of our 2011 debacle against Collingwood. 12 times we butchered our inside 50s and our mids ball watched resulting in overlaps for coast to coast goals the other way. Pity BS could not coach and adjust mid game.

But the point stands, select too many one dimensional pure inside mids who were the best at school, means see ball, get ball and guys who do not know how to defend, or structures, or to play 2nd or 7th banana.

Armstrong has more exposed form in the role he will play at AFL level, probably has more scope for body improvement. Gerryn has played mainly ruck outside of the national champs and is undersized in that position.

Generally, those key position prospects who are already developed physically are judged harsher due to dominating against smaller bodies.

I rate his skills albeit inconsistent and movement for a guy his size. I see a Tex Walker type in the best case, but obviously with development needed in his forward craft.

Personally I prefer him over Faull, but like Armstrong, Whitlock, Shanahan and Sims over him. If it’s Sims at ~20 or Gerryn at ~40 I’d go Gerryn at ~40, though.

I'm seriously thinking about something that I don't think Will, Brady and Alastair will do this year and I've been against it for the last five years as well as this year, though I was open to the Harley situation, but not for all our draft picks.
I've been adamant that we trade in a future 2nd rounder and not touch our first {mainly because of Archie Ludowyke} who I rate but with Harry and Kayle this year its made me think about the future drafts of 2025 and 2026, before "Tassie" enter and clean up the talent pool.

I think I need to explain as there are sometimes people out there that say NO, not our first rounder, WHAT IF we get injuries or don't improve and finish in the bottom 3 again. So what? We miss out on another midfielder or a very good key forward, I think we are now at the stage to do this, like I'm 99% sure, with every day passing its going to get to that hundred mark, I can feel it! While some people will still be against it, that's fine we all have our own thoughts, but think about this before you dismiss it completely.

(1) We trade not our future second rounder in but our first and get maximum value by getting two first round picks this year and the perfect team to do this is Gold Coast because of the picks they have though I'm pretty sure they are not interested in draft picks, they want established talent.

(2) If and its a big if, this were to happen and just say we got picks 8 and 9 or where ever they finish, in the draft we get the best talent at our first pick {pick 2 or 3} say we have picks 8/9/ a late twentyish pick and a late fortyish pick. We can possibly get at 8/9 our gun key forward in Harry Armstrong and one of either Taj Hotton, Joe Berry or Murphy Reid as our gun small forward, our late twentyish pick can be anyone but say we opt to go for one of the key defenders or some more run out of defence like Lindsay {I think he might be gone at this stage} or even Oliver, finish our draft off by taking River at our fortyish pick, of course we could rookie him.

(3) Out of our final draft we get, a gun mid, possibly the most exciting key forward seen for some time, one of the three I mentioned so whoever we pick quite possibly the best small forward in the draft and then a good key defender or running half back plus River, OUR LIST WOULD BE SO SET AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN US NEARLY BEATING Collingwood, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton and early in the season Fremantle you then add this talent, what do you think we are going to do to the opposition with this mob its actually borderline insane , we wont lack anything, we don't need anyone else and we don't have to worry about the draft because we got our talent and we can concentrate on developing them and watching them go about their style of play that is going to make us feared for the next ten years!

(4) When 2025 rolls along we have got a full year into our kids so we are ahead instead of starting of scratch for talent and needs, of course we will still need to take our three selections but we can work our way round that, but I must point out that in order for this to happen we have to at least get two top picks in the top 10 or 12 and have a team to trade with that has those picks, will two years of future picks come in this year? Looking ahead and the way we are playing I believe in being positive, sometimes there are times when you can wait for things to happen or you make things happen, we are getting very very close to that time if we are not already there.;)

Wouldn't we be better trading it with Adelaide since that SA boy is likely going to be one of the top picks next year? They might offer more?

IMHO, l think that has a lot more to do then anything else..a lot of the AFL recruiting media is very Vic bias and maybe it should be as CTL is considered the best U18 comp in Australia.
If Draper, Allan, Urquart, Gerryn, Welsh, Champion, Nicholls, Campo twins,Dodson, Herbert etc etc all played in the CTL, l'm sure their profiles would be greater...maybe for the worst but certainly more scrutiny just through exposure.

Metro MVP Murphy Reid played mostly on ball in his three other Champs games, but showed his versatility in this performance playing predominantly wing and half forward. He was still one of Metro's most productive players, using his poise and precision to cut through the WA defensive lines.

Metro MVP Murphy Reid played mostly on ball in his three other Champs games, but showed his versatility in this performance playing predominantly wing and half forward. He was still one of Metro's most productive players, using his poise and precision to cut through the WA defensive lines.

Looks good and l wouldn't be dissapointed if we got him however l would go for Smith, Trainor, FOS then Reid or Smilie in that order. So no doubt we cant lose with whoever we select as our 1st pick unless its outside anyone of those 5.

I'm seriously thinking about something that I don't think Will, Brady and Alastair will do this year and I've been against it for the last five years as well as this year, though I was open to the Harley situation, but not for all our draft picks.
I've been adamant that we trade in a future 2nd rounder and not touch our first {mainly because of Archie Ludowyke} who I rate but with Harry and Kayle this year its made me think about the future drafts of 2025 and 2026, before "Tassie" enter and clean up the talent pool.

I think I need to explain as there are sometimes people out there that say NO, not our first rounder, WHAT IF we get injuries or don't improve and finish in the bottom 3 again. So what? We miss out on another midfielder or a very good key forward, I think we are now at the stage to do this, like I'm 99% sure, with every day passing its going to get to that hundred mark, I can feel it! While some people will still be against it, that's fine we all have our own thoughts, but think about this before you dismiss it completely.

(1) We trade not our future second rounder in but our first and get maximum value by getting two first round picks this year and the perfect team to do this is Gold Coast because of the picks they have though I'm pretty sure they are not interested in draft picks, they want established talent.

(2) If and its a big if, this were to happen and just say we got picks 8 and 9 or where ever they finish, in the draft we get the best talent at our first pick {pick 2 or 3} say we have picks 8/9/ a late twentyish pick and a late fortyish pick. We can possibly get at 8/9 our gun key forward in Harry Armstrong and one of either Taj Hotton, Joe Berry or Murphy Reid as our gun small forward, our late twentyish pick can be anyone but say we opt to go for one of the key defenders or some more run out of defence like Lindsay {I think he might be gone at this stage} or even Oliver, finish our draft off by taking River at our fortyish pick, of course we could rookie him.

(3) Out of our final draft we get, a gun mid, possibly the most exciting key forward seen for some time, one of the three I mentioned so whoever we pick quite possibly the best small forward in the draft and then a good key defender or running half back plus River, OUR LIST WOULD BE SO SET AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN US NEARLY BEATING Collingwood, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton and early in the season Fremantle you then add this talent, what do you think we are going to do to the opposition with this mob its actually borderline insane , we wont lack anything, we don't need anyone else and we don't have to worry about the draft because we got our talent and we can concentrate on developing them and watching them go about their style of play that is going to make us feared for the next ten years!

(4) When 2025 rolls along we have got a full year into our kids so we are ahead instead of starting of scratch for talent and needs, of course we will still need to take our three selections but we can work our way round that, but I must point out that in order for this to happen we have to at least get two top picks in the top 10 or 12 and have a team to trade with that has those picks, will two years of future picks come in this year? Looking ahead and the way we are playing I believe in being positive, sometimes there are times when you can wait for things to happen or you make things happen, we are getting very very close to that time if we are not already there.;)
What you say makes a lot of scene Scout generally i am against trading future 1st only cause of the ladder situation and it worries me that we may not have enough capitol if a good player wanted to come to us but like you say if we where ever going to do it this is the year. It certainly beats splitting this years 1st as we have to keep our 1st this year at all costs. As always another good post.

What you say makes a lot of scene Scout generally i am against trading future 1st only cause of the ladder situation and it worries me that we may not have enough capitol if a good player wanted to come to us but like you say if we where ever going to do it this is the year. It certainly beats splitting this years 1st as we have to keep our 1st this year at all costs. As always another good post.
If ever there was a time to trade our F1st then this draft is the one to do it in to get a better draft pick..

Trading our F1 is all well and good but which team would actually agree to bowing out of the first round in an even draft pool? The only candidate is probably Fremantle and it doesn’t even make much sense from their side given their list profile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading our F1 is all well and good but which team would actually agree to bowing out of the first round in an even draft pool? The only candidate is probably Fremantle and it doesn’t even make much sense from their side given their list profile.

Freo is a watch for F1 trade in, give them a prime second pick next year to trade for Chad Warner or Shai Bolton potentially. Then again if possible I think WCE could look to accelerate their rebuild and their F1 would be more tasty to Freo.

Could be wrong but i would have thought at least 1 club has traded out its 1 pick for quite some time.

Is Gerryn an nga player

Looks like Smiley might be available at 2 with the Tigers taking Jagga Smith at 1.
Are we taking him?

Wouldn't we be better trading it with Adelaide since that SA boy is likely going to be one of the top picks next year? They might offer more?
Maybe, but the news is that they are going to try and trade it for a player which seems to me as incredible, as a gun young mid is what they are craving for, so lets see if they change their mind on that. Another club might come to the fore as some clubs will trade out of the first round and if it comes in that you can trade out two years of trade picks , look out. I think we will try and see what offers are there, if we don't like the offers , it'll be no deal.

Considering I've been against it for awhile I don't think it should be "annual", though having seen many posts over the last few years I get it and even more so when it was not the time to do so, BUT, if you always limit yourself to the same opinion and never entertain the "flexibility" factor then change will never happen, sometimes change in thinking is not only good but if thought out, it can have massive rewards in the long run.

I 100% think we are/should trade a future first/second in this years draft considering who's available, how deep it is and factoring in 2025 and 2026, lots of things come into play with this thinking and thought as well, with me it is never a lets do this or that, one must think things through to a point, where to do it, makes perfect sense, the only reason you wouldn't do it this year is if we have our eyes on someone next year but from what I've seen this year, it negates not doing it!
You're right, every option should be explored every year. Sometimes it makes less sense than others, but ultimately it boils down to what somebody else is willing to pay.

As they say, everything is for sale at the right price.

For mine that has to be a pick in the top 6 given given our past finishes and that the top 12 teams are all reasonably close. Or two picks between 9 and 14 and id throw in fringe player or 3rd rounder to get one or two of those picks a smidge better if possible.

The problem is there are few clubs i can see that would go for it, everyone is aware this draft bats deep and Tassie is coming. Given that fact i dont see anyone offering us something that would out weigh a top 6 pick next season.

I think our best chance of going deep in this draft is getting R1 comp for CZ and pick 20 for Scott even if we give up a 4th rounder to make the later work. Powell and a pick to Crows might get their first, but im really loath to give up Powell too easily. His vision and skills are elite.

You're right, every option should be explored every year. Sometimes it makes less sense than others, but ultimately it boils down to what somebody else is willing to pay.

As they say, everything is for sale at the right price.

For mine that has to be a pick in the top 6 given given our past finishes and that the top 12 teams are all reasonably close. Or two picks between 9 and 14 and id throw in fringe player or 3rd rounder to get one or two of those picks a smidge better if possible.

The problem is there are few clubs i can see that would go for it, everyone is aware this draft bats deep and Tassie is coming. Given that fact i dont see anyone offering us something that would out weigh a top 6 pick next season.

I think our best chance of going deep in this draft is getting R1 comp for CZ and pick 20 for Scott even if we give up a 4th rounder to make the later work.
Cz not leaving

Ah but it does Twangler, the way they have played this year plus they have a bunch of younger players on their list, the only way they wouldn't do it is if they trade it for established talent / trade target, Andrew Brayshaw is an interesting player to watch as well. As for which team there could be a few but if we don't get say two top 10 or 12 picks then forget it.

Cz not leaving
Yeah i hope not. BUT, if he were offered enough to trigger band 1 we'd be silly not to say - look Cam you can set yourself up for life we think you should take it otherwise theres the 5 year deal we already offered.
Not saying it will happen, just our best chance of going big in this years draft.

Ah but it does Twangler, the way they have played this year plus they have a bunch of younger players on their list, the only way they wouldn't do it is if they trade it for established talent / trade target, Andrew Brayshaw is an interesting player to watch as well. As for which team there could be a few but if we don't get say two top 10 or 12 picks then forget it.
Is it worth not having WDawson, Hardeman, Fisher and Stephens for whatever pick 19 and 20 become this year?

It’ll be an interesting watch. Would love to have three picks in this years top twenty five! I’m not a gambler by nature so probably still wouldn’t do it as missing out on a top 5 pick if we don’t improve as much as expected would be a bit of a disaster!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back