Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a few more clips of Sid Draper that noobermensch has put together. Think I’ve really underrated his hardness at the footy and his cleanliness below his knees. The fact that he is now doing it against men in the SANFL speaks volumes to his upside potential.

I’ll be very curious to see how he tests at the combine for his 5-10m sprints and his yo-yo. He seems to have a very quick first 3-4 steps that allows him to breakaway from the stoppages, also seems to get from contest to contest relatively easily.

Biggest downside for us is that he seems really only suited to playing as a centre square midfielder. Looks a bit lost when playing on a wing and hasn’t had much exposed form across half back.
He’s a gun

If you look at our side yesterday and asked me who our weakest 5 positions are that we need to upgrade on I'd say:
Teakle (KPF/Ruck)
Hansen (Small fwd)
Stephens (Wing)
Tucker (Wing)
Stephenson (Flanker)

This isn't to say I don't respect what guys like Teakle and Tucker have offered this season - they've been serviceable and done their jobs often, but moving forward we'd want them as depth rather than as best 22 types.

There are no KPF's or small forwards we should take in the top 3 (unless Taj Hotton...). So our next biggest need is outside run on a wing/flank. There are 2 blokes who are athletic and versatile enough to play on a wing, half forward flank or as genuine mids:

Finn O'Sullivan
Vertical: 90cm
20m: 3.046
Agility: 8.117
Yo-yo: 1000

Taj Hotton
Vertical: 93cm
20m: 2.882
Agility: 7.807
Yo-yo: 800

Finn put his runs on the board last year. I've got little doubt Taj Hotton would have put his name up as a genuine top 3 if not for his ACL - he was putting together some huge performances before injury.

Unfortunately, Taj Hotton appears to be considered a pick closer to 10 than 1 (I'd personally take him if Finn is gone), Finn closer to 1 than 10.

If he's there, the pick of Finn O'Sullivan makes way too much sense based on what we need. No go home factor. He's an immediate upgrade on Tucker and/or Stephens on a wing. He could also slot in on a back or forward flank if we want him there instead.

When are you going to do your mock draft mate?

He’s a gun

Yeah I haven’t followed him much because of residual JHF trauma, plus he’s come back from injury someone a while to get going but he’s an absolute jet.

So quick, knows how to football, no doubt he will be a gun afl player.

If we end up with him you’d have to trade out Phillips, and likely means Powell is now destined to be a flanker.

But I wouldn’t be upset.

He’s sanfl form is eye catching and he’s getting better and better.

The other player I’ve looked into is Murphy Reid. Jee he has a lot going for him as well. Definite sheezel vibes off his highlights complete with upright ball drop for quick kicks.

People say that 2 sheezels are better than 1. Here is a chance to grab the second.

A fourth strong senior SANFL performance in a row from Sid. He simply has to be considered one of South Adelaide's best players at this stage. The extremely windy conditions turned this into a scrappy affair, and like most out there Sid had trouble directing his kicks in the first half. He got better as the game wore on, and like last week it was his incisive and damaging play in the second half that played an important role in getting the Panthers ahead on the scoreboard, including a fantastic classy goal in the fourth quarter.

A fourth strong senior SANFL performance in a row from Sid. He simply has to be considered one of South Adelaide's best players at this stage. The extremely windy conditions turned this into a scrappy affair, and like most out there Sid had trouble directing his kicks in the first half. He got better as the game wore on, and like last week it was his incisive and damaging play in the second half that played an important role in getting the Panthers ahead on the scoreboard, including a fantastic classy goal in the fourth quarter.

That snap from that distance says a lot

42C5ED0F-AA75-46AB-9165-11130A012109.jpeg

Another solid game from Travaglia playing in the midfield for Bendigo.

Day-Wicks had his best game of the season with 3 goals and 23 touches. I reckon there is a bit of Shaun Higgins about his game, so classy and so damaging forward of centre. Really wish he had more exposed for through the midfield. He has so much X-Factor.

Another good game for the Northern twin towers in Stumpf & Sims.

View attachment 2061369

Day-Wicks had his best game of the season with 3 goals and 23 touches. I reckon there is a bit of Shaun Higgins about his game, so classy and so damaging forward of centre. Really wish he had more exposed for through the midfield. He has so much X-Factor.

where do you get those stats from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2061369

Day-Wicks at our 3rd rounder would be cartwheels stuff.

This draft is going to be so hard to draft in. It almoost feels like why take a risk on a player who has been iinjury effected when you could get players who have shown all year their capability.

Travaglia has not set a foot wrong for my mind and has only shown versatility, Reid may be the best ball mover, Lalor ceiling wise and need could be best fit Honestly about 5 KPF you could comfortably take and feel could be developed.

This draft is going to be so hard to draft in. It almoost feels like why take a risk on a player who has been iinjury effected when you could get players who have shown all year their capability.

Travaglia has not set a foot wrong for my mind and has only shown versatility, Reid may be the best ball mover, Lalor ceiling wise and need could be best fit Honestly about 5 KPF you could comfortably take and feel could be developed.
Yep so many options and might depend on who is live at each pick. I'm hoping we can get involved in trades as a 3rd party and get ourselves another pick in the 1st or 2nd round.

Another strong VFL performance by Jagga who's seemingly stepped up to the level and barely missed a beat. He wasn't quite as impressive as last week, seeming to be more rushed for time and as a result not having his entire game in top order, but even so, we shouldn't take for granted what Jagga Smith and Sid Draper have been doing in recent weeks at state league level. They've both set a bar that the others in the pool will struggle to reach.

If you look at our side yesterday and asked me who our weakest 5 positions are that we need to upgrade on I'd say:
Teakle (KPF/Ruck)
Hansen (Small fwd)
Stephens (Wing)
Tucker (Wing)
Stephenson (Flanker)

This isn't to say I don't respect what guys like Teakle and Tucker have offered this season - they've been serviceable and done their jobs often, but moving forward we'd want them as depth rather than as best 22 types.

There are no KPF's or small forwards we should take in the top 3 (unless Taj Hotton...). So our next biggest need is outside run on a wing/flank. There are 2 blokes who are athletic and versatile enough to play on a wing, half forward flank or as genuine mids:

Finn O'Sullivan
Vertical: 90cm
20m: 3.046
Agility: 8.117
Yo-yo: 1000

Taj Hotton
Vertical: 93cm
20m: 2.882
Agility: 7.807
Yo-yo: 800

Finn put his runs on the board last year. I've got little doubt Taj Hotton would have put his name up as a genuine top 3 if not for his ACL - he was putting together some huge performances before injury.

Unfortunately, Taj Hotton appears to be considered a pick closer to 10 than 1 (I'd personally take him if Finn is gone), Finn closer to 1 than 10.

If he's there, the pick of Finn O'Sullivan makes way too much sense based on what we need. No go home factor. He's an immediate upgrade on Tucker and/or Stephens on a wing. He could also slot in on a back or forward flank if we want him there instead.
Some of the power rankings have Hotton in the 15-25 range.

I loved the footage of his games last year.

Is there any chance the above may eventuate?

Is he a genuine crumbing forward? Or more a half-forward-cum-mid?

We need 1-2 defender hunting, crumbing, snapping, chaos-creating terriers.

Can Taj be this?

Yeah I haven’t followed him much because of residual JHF trauma, plus he’s come back from injury someone a while to get going but he’s an absolute jet.

So quick, knows how to football, no doubt he will be a gun afl player.

If we end up with him you’d have to trade out Phillips, and likely means Powell is now destined to be a flanker.

But I wouldn’t be upset.

He’s sanfl form is eye catching and he’s getting better and better.

The other player I’ve looked into is Murphy Reid. Jee he has a lot going for him as well. Definite sheezel vibes off his highlights complete with upright ball drop for quick kicks.

People say that 2 sheezels are better than 1. Here is a chance to grab the second.
Murphy, Langford, Reid, Draper, FOS, Smillie. So many promising kids this year.

Some of the power rankings have Hotton in the 15-25 range.

I loved the footage of his games last year.

Is there any chance the above may eventuate?

Is he a genuine crumbing forward? Or more a half-forward-cum-mid?

We need 1-2 defender hunting, crumbing, snapping, chaos-creating terriers.

Can Taj be this?

Just think Shai Bolton, he's very similar stylistically.

He can play as a genuine crumbing small, he can play as the focal point and beat his man on the lead, he can fly for marks because he's very good overhead or he can run through the midfield and then push forward or start on a forward flank and push up as an extra midfielder.

He had 32 touches and kicked 4 goals in Round 2 this year and he would have been a good chance to do that another few times in the Talent League if not for his injury IMO. He had 28 touches and kicked about 4 behinds + another one OOF in Round 1, could have easily have 28 touches and 3 or 4 goals.

He had 18 and 2 goals in the Academy game against Coburg and again, could have easily had another goal or two.

Every game he played this year he looked a class above and his athletic testing is excellent. His biggest weakness is his foot skills are a bit inconsistent, but I'd back improvement in an AFL environment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back