Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just draft FOS. First year at half back.

Round 1 2026

B- Arch Griff Corr

HB- Goater W Dawson Fisher

C- Kerch LDU FOS

HF- Zuhaar Comben Dursma

F- Simpkin Larkey Curtis

OB- Xerri Wardlaw Sheezel

Int- Powell Scott Ford Versatile Tall

Draft best KPF left at our second pick

Best small pressure forward at third pick

First rounder 2025 to pick to fill gap or trade for established gun player
If I was having a bet my money will be on FOS going to the Tigers at 1.

After this performance on the weekend he finally got a call up to play for the senior WAFL West Perth team and it only took Kayle dominating the comp for weeks on end. In this game he was again best on ground, getting shaded in the hit outs but consistently causing damage post stoppage with his power and skills on the spread. The big thing we've been seeing more often in recent weeks is his contested marking with him regularly pulling down a couple of impressive plucks each week now.

We await this weekends game now with baited breath. A strong debut WAFL performance as a key forward and Kayle might fly up draft boards. There are several teams with top 10 picks that are hungry for a key forward and there isn't much Kayle can't do.

This was their starting line up.

C: Blicavs 198cm O'Connor 191cm Duncan 188cm
R: Stanley 200cm, Danger 188cm Guthrie 187cm
Our starting midfield in the centre at its best would be:

C: Scott 186cm LDU 188cm Goater 190cm
R: Xerri 200cm Sheezel 185cm Wardlaw 182cm

Wardlaw plays wayyyyyy above his height as well.

Obviously, that would be subject to change and development over time.

Now let's check Melbourne's premiership midfield:

C: Brayshaw 187cm Petracca 186cm Langdon 182cm
R: Gawn 209cm Oliver 187cm Viney 178cm

Now let's check the Bulldogs midfield which was beaten in the GF:

C: Hunter 182cm Libba 184cm Smith 185cm
R: Martin 198cm Bont 193cm Dunkley 191cm

The bigger bodied midfield lost! Melbourne won that day through pace, power, skill execution, and spread.

West Coast won a flag in 2018 with a midfield consisting of:

C: Redden 189cm Yeo 190cm Masten 179cm
R: Lycett 202cm Shuey (NORM) 183cm Hutchings 181cm

Our best midfield is bigger than that! Shuey won a Norm at 183cm. Collingwood were the much bigger midfield and lost.

MYTH.

Our starting midfield in the centre at its best would be:

C: Scott 186cm LDU 188cm Goater 190cm
R: Xerri 200cm Sheezel 185cm Wardlaw 182cm

Wardlaw plays wayyyyyy above his height as well.

Obviously, that would be subject to change and development over time.

Now let's check Melbourne's premiership midfield:

C: Brayshaw 187cm Petracca 186cm Langdon 182cm
R: Gawn 209cm Oliver 187cm Viney 178cm

Now let's check the Bulldogs midfield which was beaten in the GF:

C: Hunter 182cm Libba 184cm Smith 185cm
R: Martin 198cm Bont 193cm Dunkley 191cm

The bigger bodied midfield lost! Melbourne won that day through pace, power, skill execution, and spread.

West Coast won a flag in 2018 with a midfield consisting of:

C: Redden 189cm Yeo 190cm Masten 179cm
R: Lycett 202cm Shuey (NORM) 183cm Hutchings 181cm

Our best midfield is bigger than that! Shuey won a Norm at 183cm. Collingwood were the much bigger midfield and lost.

MYTH.
Goater is a long way from being a wingman.

Both the Dees and WCE had bigger mids than our biggest - LDU. Oliver is 1.89cm & Brayshaw 188cm.

We are becoming ess with a midget army. Give me some big powerful grunt!!

Collingwood were the much bigger midfield and lost?
C: Phillips 186cm Pendles 191cm Treloar 184cm
R: Grundy 203cm Adams 181cm Sidebottom 184cm

After this performance on the weekend he finally got a call up to play for the senior WAFL West Perth team and it only took Kayle dominating the comp for weeks on end. In this game he was again best on ground, getting shaded in the hit outs but consistently causing damage post stoppage with his power and skills on the spread. The big thing we've been seeing more often in recent weeks is his contested marking with him regularly pulling down a couple of impressive plucks each week now.

We await this weekends game now with baited breath. A strong debut WAFL performance as a key forward and Kayle might fly up draft boards. There are several teams with top 10 picks that are hungry for a key forward and there isn't much Kayle can't do.

There is a lot to like about Gerryn. Moves well, nice kicking action, strong mark...
What's his tank like?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Goater is a long way from being a wingman.

Both the Dees and WCE had bigger mids than our biggest - LDU. Oliver is 1.89cm & Brayshaw 188cm.

We are becoming ess with a midget army. Give me some big powerful grunt!!

Collingwood were the much bigger midfield and lost?
C: Phillips 186cm Pendles 191cm Treloar 184cm
R: Grundy 203cm Adams 181cm Sidebottom 184cm

Right. One centimetre is going to be the difference between a flag or no flag. AFL app listed Brayshaw at 187cm. Also pretty convenient to leave out De Goey from that midfield.

My question to you: are Sydney a midget army? I believe the reason why Essendon aren’t a good side is because…well…they just don’t have quality.

Last edited:

Been one of my fav's for a while now and my first choice for a key forward. I think he brings a real point of difference to our forward line as that contested marking beast but there's also a lot more to him than just that. Love his work in the ruck as well as a more than capable back up Ruck to X. To me, he looks like a Taylor Walker type and I can see the Johnathon Brown comparison a bit as well.

Edit: My only real knock on him in that video is that some of his handballs were a bit loopy and sold his team mate under pressure.

Last edited:
Right. One centimetre is going to be the difference between a flag or no flag. AFL app listed Brayshaw at 187cm. Also pretty convenient to leave out De Goey from that midfield.

My question to you: are Sydney are midget army? I believe the reason why Essendon aren’t a good side is because…well…they just don’t have quality.
Why would I include a forward?

As for the Swans V this midfeild when it counted?

20.13 - 133
8.4 - 52

Contested possessions:
Swans 100
Cats 151

Brute force.

Why would I include a forward?

As for the Swans V this midfeild when it counted?

20.13 - 133
8.4 - 52

Contested possessions:
Swans 100
Cats 151

Brute force.

That’s the swans midfield from two years ago? They were nowhere near as developed as they are now. Now they are the best midfield in the competition.

The hawks threepeat had no midfielder over 187cm? As others have also established the Richmond midfield had a lack of size in it. That was very dominant. Your rebuttal against someone mentioning Richmond was that Kamdyn McIntosh played for them at that time. He was not a dominant player and just a standard winger in their flag years. He actually didn’t play in the 2019 flag.

If you’re talking about brute force winning flags, it for sure wasn’t what won Richmond and Hawthorn 3 a piece. Myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I guess the question would be the athletic testing compared to J Whitlock and Armstrong.
We could certainly use a forward/ruck long term to potentially take the Teakle role if he stagnates.
Pretty hard to top Armstrong for a first picked forward, that kid looks a guaranteed gun. Hopefully we can manufacture another top ten pick.

Pretty hard to top Armstrong for a first picked forward, that kid looks a guaranteed gun. Hopefully we can manufacture another top ten pick.
Yep Armstrong and Whitlock probably top two. The extra 4cm height of Gerreyn vs Armstrong's endurance, tough call.
Whitlock might bring both to the table but I don't think he can ruck, neither can Armstrong.
Maybe we could take both of them. Gerreyn takes Teakle role. Armstrong replaces Pink.
What does that do for Zane though? Play more wing? Or maybe we're planning Goad to take that Teakle role long term.
It will be fascinating to see what we do. We may end up only having Gerreyn or Sims at the 2nd rounder perhaps.

Yep Armstrong and Whitlock probably top two. The extra 4cm height of Gerreyn vs Armstrong's endurance, tough call.
Whitlock might bring both to the table but I don't think he can ruck, neither can Armstrong.
Maybe we could take both of them. Gerreyn takes Teakle role. Armstrong replaces Pink.
What does that do for Zane though? Play more wing? Or maybe we're planning Goad to take that Teakle role long term.
It will be fascinating to see what we do. We may end up only having Gerreyn or Sims at the 2nd rounder perhaps.

I prefer Gerreyn's consistency. He turns up every week. Interesting to see how he goes in the WAFL.

That’s the swans midfield from two years ago? They were nowhere near as developed as they are now. Now they are the best midfield in the competition.

The hawks threepeat had no midfielder over 187cm? As others have also established the Richmond midfield had a lack of size in it. That was very dominant. Your rebuttal against someone mentioning Richmond was that Kamdyn McIntosh played for them at that time. He was not a dominant player and just a standard winger in their flag years. He actually didn’t play in the 2019 flag.

If you’re talking about brute force winning flags, it for sure wasn’t what won Richmond and Hawthorn 3 a piece. Myth.

Is the swans the best? They have 3 guns by it drops away quickly.

They have 3 mids in the top 100 in the rankings.

Port have 4, Bris 4, Pies 4, Suns 4, Dogs 3, Freo 3.

The unsociable Hawks won their flags with brute force. Same as the Lions 3 peat and us in the 90's.

I still reckon Zane plays more midfield minutes as he develops. I'd rather him playing VFL ATM, he's nowhere near the level yet. Would rather see him build confidence and his game in the two's. Reckon we only need take one, young Finbars improvement over the year has been exceptional. Another pre season and he'll be ready for some senior footy. Hamish going down has actually helped his development.

There is a lot to like about Gerryn. Moves well, nice kicking action, strong mark...
What's his tank like?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's virtually been playing as a ruck / forward for quite a while now so the tank is pretty good, at AFL level you'll still have to go up another gear but there is not a single doubt that he'll progress easily with a couple of pre-seasons under his belt. Kayle's potential is untapped!

Question is, why hasn't young Kayle got more games with West Perth seniors who are bottom of the ladder in the WAFL - hiding him?

Question is, why hasn't young Kayle got more games with West Perth seniors who are bottom of the ladder in the WAFL - hiding him?
Maybe, but its tough to hide a guy that's playing this well. Dominating the Colts like very few I've seen over the last month and a half since the champs. I think even if they hadn't called him up he would have still risen up the draft ranks.

Maybe, but its tough to hide a guy that's playing this well. Dominating the Colts like very few I've seen over the last month and a half since the champs. I think even if they hadn't called him up he would have still risen up the draft ranks.
These players have no were to hide these days The recruiters are so switched on to all the players now. They know their strengths and weakness. They might not always get it right but it's not through lack of time they put into the draftees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back