Votes: 20 6.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

With the talk that Richmond want to trade with North to get pick 2 and listening to Cal Twomey just now on gettable speaking about the no.1 pick, I’m starting feel and believe that Jagga will be our selection with pick 3 and the Tigers taking Lalor and Finn pick 1 and 2 (if they get pick 2)

Agreed. That was my take too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would you use pick 3 on Draper, a SA kid with the Crows in his ear for the entire term of his first contract?

Yes. There is a long history between Carlton and SA players that they are in it for the long haul.

I am less worried about the “go home” factor with players from SA than I am with players from anywhere else.

The evasion at :37 to :42 in this video is a top trait. Quick thinker FOS, think he's being under valued by some. His short kicking seems a tier above Lalor/Smith/Draper

After just watching those highlights I don't think he'll get to our pick. I think he goes 1 or 2. Guts, dare & class from what I just saw.

Sps wasn't slow. His hamstrings died and then he became slow. Wasn't an incorrect draft choice. Was an unlucky one.
He had a ripper game or two that showed his potential. Unfortunately never worked out.

I think O'Sullivan has a standout quality, evasiveness, and a strong base of midfield attributes, fierce tackler, great vision, great read of play, tidy disposal.

He generates a lot of metres gained.

Early on I would expect him to have a few, "Welcome to the AFL" moments, where he gets caught trying to sidestep. As his core strength improves with AFL conditioning that should resolve

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree with you, one would be very happy with any one of O'Sullivan, Smith , Lalor or Draper.

The evasion at :37 to :42 in this video is a top trait. Quick thinker FOS, think he's being under valued by some. His short kicking seems a tier above Lalor/Smith/Draper

That's the best vision I've seen of FOS. Impressive. I don't think we'll be disappointed in getting any of the touted top 4 somehow.

Cost us 12 & 14 to get 3. Can't see Tigs wanting to pay more than that. And I see Norf's need greater than Tigs.

If I was Richmond's list mgr, I'd be very happy with what I've got, and would only look at moving up if it's a deal in my favour.
Sure, but
1. #2 is worth more than #3
2. We offered the same deal to North and were rejected
3. We got a special deal with West Coast because they snookered themselves (or we snookered them with our brilliant Hawks trade)
4. The picks have washed out now, clubs know what they’ve got, and
5. 3 clubs chasing #2, there’s a market now.

I agree, I’m probably not doing the deal if I’m Richmond, but maybe they really, really want their top 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the talk that Richmond want to trade with North to get pick 2 and listening to Cal Twomey just now on gettable speaking about the no.1 pick, I’m starting feel and believe that Jagga will be our selection with pick 3 and the Tigers taking Lalor and Finn pick 1 and 2 (if they get pick 2)

Sounds that way though I personally think the Tigers should take Smith if they get pick 2. He's the type of guy you build your midfield around. High floor, bust proof, will impact from day dot. I'd pair him with one of FOS/Lalor who are higher risk / higher reward types that might take a bit longer to get going. Even once they do, they are probably more likely to fade in and out of games whilst Jagga racks up his 30+ every week.

For a club just commencing a rebuild Smith is perfect. Just like Walsh was for us.

One would be happy with anyone of O'Sullivan, Smith, Lalor or Draper at our pick.
Agree, all look likely types. But to me the one we draft needs to add that missing piece to our midfield - speed and elite foot skills. It may be unreasonable to expect a draftee to be elite by foot, but IMO speed is a non-negotiable. Anyone watching our team can tell, we have zero spread and very limited defensive running. Need someone in the Warner mould, with line-breaking quickness.
No matter how good they are, if we draft another extracting bull midfielder it will be negligent list management.

Agree, all look likely types. But to me the one we draft needs to add that missing piece to our midfield - speed and elite foot skills. It may be unreasonable to expect a draftee to be elite by foot, but IMO speed is a non-negotiable. Anyone watching our team can tell, we have zero spread and very limited defensive running. Need someone in the Warner mould, with line-breaking quickness.
No matter how good they are, if we draft another extracting bull midfielder it will be negligent list management.
Spot on mate! It’s a must point of difference

Don’t remember him having hamstring issues whilst with us?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It was some constant issue. Not traditional hammy tearing but like a chronic weakness caused by something. Forget the exact medical words. Could also be complete bullshit but was told by a club dr related to me. 👍

SPS also had no tank and struggled to find the ball even as a junior. Those 2 issues plus his slight body size meant it was always going to be an uphill battle for him to make it as an AFL mid and he didn't have the tricks to be a forward. Halfback probably his best chance given his ball use, but he was a neat kick more than a particularly damaging one.

Small mids are fine as long as they are not slow and/or lightly built. Why SPS and Fisher weren't able to make it
I agree. Sam Mitchell, Lachie Neale, Tom Mitchell, Jack Viney, Dion Prestia, Greg Williams. There is room in our side for a shorter midfielder of this calibre that is for sure. SPS and Fisher simply not strong enough or hard enough at the contest. The direction given to list management has not been clear enough and good enough in the past when selecting onballers.

After just watching those highlights I don't think he'll get to our pick. I think he goes 1 or 2. Guts, dare & class from what I just saw.

Given the hype and media around the kid he'll obviously go high but i'm just not seeing the hype.

In that vid took some good marks and laid some good tackles, otherwise missed both shots on the run and most if not all his inside 50's were to contests or missed targets.

Does find a lot of his ball just off the contest and showed agility but didn't see any speed of note, didn't see any runs of note, didn't seem to have a very penetrating kick or at least never used it and put other players under pressure with his disposal on several occasions.

If I compared him to Smith in and around the contest it would be chalk and cheese Smith's way.

Just what I saw in that vid vs other's i've seen of the other top rated kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back