Votes: 20 6.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've given it a lot of thought since the trade period finished and I'm pretty convinced we need to get Reid at #3 if available.

Considering our gameplan, we need someone who can hit targets and his disposal and decision making is excellent.
You don't need to have pace if you are 'quick of mind' can get to the right spots and can quickly hit targets under pressure.

I would hate for #3 to be used to go for someone (like Draper) who has a bit of pace but potential to butcher the ball.
We were slaughtered all year from turnovers, and If you don't have good disposal naturally it isn't going to come later.

Reid sticks out like proverbials to me.

If not Reid, then an explosive power mid like Lalor (if available) but as I mentioned before, I think he's going to have an uphill battle with his weight (hoping he's a hard worker).
I’d be shocked if we spent all that draft capital to get a single slow mid

Slow of leg, fast of mind

Yeah he’s slow.
Might be quick of mind, but is not of foot.
I'm all for someone with pace, but they better have the disposal to match, otherwise they are a liability.
You seen how much difference Williams' disposal in the forward line, and E Hollands disposal around the ground makes.

I dont care how fast they are, if they turn it over, it's coming back out doubly fast.

Do we need a centre square mid? Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Carroll, Lord and Hollands are plenty already (hence Kennedy leaving). A high half forward with a great step in traffic and an excellent leap who can rotate through the middle- we don’t have many of thosr

^ I agree, and we need a mid with a point of difference. We don't have one genuine mid with elite disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only criticism would be that we didn't need 3 to get him so having the two picks would've been better
Maybe we should do a live swap with Tiges for 6 & 11 if they'll do it. Give them 3, 63, & 68, and keep 38, 69 and 72 for Campos & rookie upgrade for S. Durdin if we are keeping him.

little rumor for you via someone i know, in footy but not at either of these clubs

expect Richmond to go for Lalor at #1 and are a good chance to trade for #2 with north to get O'Sullivan.
If that happens, and we were targeting FOS as the media have suggested, do we then:

a. select Jagga
b. select Sid
c. select another
d. trade down
e. have a cold beer

Maybe we should do a live swap with Tiges for 6 & 12 if they'll do it. Give them 3, 63, & 68, and keep 38, 69 and 72 for Campos & rookie upgrade for S. Durdin if we are keeping him.
Nothing would surprise

Why is Lalor hybrid mid/fwd but not FOS? That's exactly how I see him (just like Lalor more)
Lalor has actually played forward and can play that sort of key forward role like DeGoey, Heeney etc leading, taking aerial marks. I haven't seen FOS play that lead up role (but I've only watched highlights, does he play that role?)

If that happens, and we were targeting FOS as the media have suggested, do we then:

a. select Jagga
b. select Sid
c. select another
d. trade down
e. have a cold beer
If it's not a) or b), we'd need to do d) - if you don't clearly want Jagga or Draper, you'd take the chance with 6 or 7 that you still get a good preferred option out of Jagga, Draper, Reid, Langford or Smilie at whatever you trade down to + whatever you get on the back end makes up for it.

Personally I wouldn't do it though. Langford is too slow, Smilie to similar to what we already have. Admittedly I don't know much about Reid.

I am amazed the certainty people have on this site from very little actual information

"But I am no expert obviously. Will probably win 3 brownlows!"
So you're amazed how "certain" I am even though I stated the above?

I really mean no disrespect to FOS. Just my opinion based on the very little I've seen. In the state games / VFL he did look classy but quiet I would say - to me in my very uncertain / limited view on these players.

After watching more Oakley games, I have to say that Jagga is amazingly impressive and is flying under the radar a bit. If I was Richmond I would take him for sure. He always seems to attack the front of the stoppage, I don't think I've ever seen him fumble, combines composure and "slippery-ness" in traffic to ensure he finds the best option, and is an absolute footy-magnet. I don't agree that he isn't impactful, I think that is often something one says about prospects who get a lot of inside-footy. He is a nice kick, knows where the big sticks are, and is quick. Combine that with his decision making and there have been a couple games that he has completely broken open.

This video shows all you could want to see in a midfield draft prospect. I would be worried for him if he does go to the Tigers, because he could end up being absolutely smashed from pillar-to-post in that team.

I'm now firmly in the Draper > Jagga >>> Lalor > FOS camp
Draper should be available at our pick. the others unlikely

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back