Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 42 13.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid Jagga is smart and clean...I think I like him best now....
Rockstar name to go with it...
On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
It will become the new drinking game......scull a shot/beer every time BT or Derwayne says "that kid has got the moves like Jagga"

christina aguilera i just love this video and song idec GIF

They had Draper ranked at 10, and with his kicking/decision making being the main criticism makes me somewhat concerned if we take him. Would be hoping we'd be looking at more skilled players at this point.

I think with this draft you've gotta identify the traits you most want, and then select around that, rather than looking for the unicorn that does it all.

You're not getting a high production midfielder with wicked pace, fantastic agility, elite disposal, the strength to break tackles, a strong defensive game and the ability to drift forward and kick a bag.

Most of the top 10 or so tick a couple of those boxes really comfortably, but miss on others.

If you want a more skilled player than Draper (and worth noting, this article has his disposal "a tad below the rest" not "shithouse"), then you're not getting the speed you want, or the ability to win the ball, or the strength to go from inside the contest to the outside, or something else equally important.

For mine, I think Draper is a top shelf consolation prize. I've got Smith as the best fit for us, but if he's gone then I've got no issues with landing Draper instead.

Lalor, O'Sullivan, Draper, Smith. Each one would be jets and add to our team.

I personally want a bull like Lalor. But would be happy with any of those boys.

I'd do 6 and 10/11 for 3.

Means we only paid Owies to upgrade from 12 and 14.

At those picks I'd take Smillie and Lindsay/Travaglia
I wouldn't want to miss out on one of Draper or Smith which we need a top 4 pick for. Don't think the Reid, Smilie, Langford area is for us.

Lalor, O'Sullivan, Draper, Smith. Each one would be jets and add to our team.

I personally want a bull like Lalor. But would be happy with any of those boys.
looks like we aren't looking to fix our problem (backline)...like sheep everyone looks at on-ballers...well, my choice is Bo Allen has all the prerequisites...a bull...clean hands...good leg...leg speed and height.

looks like we aren't looking to fix our problem (backline)...like sheep everyone looks at on-ballers...well, my choice is Bo Allen has all the prerequisites...a bull...clean hands...good leg...leg speed and height.
The last half a decade of All Australian key position defenders include: Jacob Weitering (Pick 1), Jeremy McGovern (Rookie Pick), Callum Wilkie (Rookie Draft), Darcy Moore (Pick 9), Tom Stewart (Pick 40), Steven May (u17 draft), Sam Taylor (Pick 28), Aliir Aliir (Pick 44), Jake Lever (Pick 14).

It's one of the few positions on the ground where you can get away with elite players at late selections and even rookies, I don't think we need to pay up for a defender.

Yes, the sheep want to pick one of the best players in the draft... that are all midfielders... the help out our 1 paced midfield that's desperate for a point of difference...

It will become the new drinking game......scull a shot/beer every time BT or Derwayne says "that kid has got the moves like Jagga"

christina aguilera i just love this video and song idec GIF

Not exactly footy-related, but this is an awesome 'Moves like Jagger' parody...

Seeing some comparing Lalor to mid/forward premiums like Trac and Martin but I just don't see it. If you watch their highlights from their draft year, the latter two, particularly Trac, already had way more agility and midfield nous than Lalor. If anything Lalor projects as a kind of general forward version of Tom Papley.
Looks like Cam Rayner to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To change tact... Who are we wanting at our 2nd pick if we can avoid a Ben bid rendering it useless? I imagine we'll look to boost that up to a pick around 30 rather than 38.

Some quality KPD options and flankers in that range.
We can’t keep ignoring KPDs its a must, there’s very little in terms of free agents next year in this space and we have little to no draft capital to trade.

Anyone that hasn’t looked at Jagga Smiths Champs highlights, I urge you to take 4 minutes out of your day and watch the whole video for some decent viewing.

Kid reminds me of Nick Daicos. Demands the football, is evasive and continually runs to create for his team mates.

This kid will be the next big thing and we should definitely consider him.

I’ve read it many times from recruiters, players are generally what they are, so dont recruit a player and expect them to turn in to something they’re not.

Smith is a great accumulator, great runner, big game player, good inside and out and has good pace, he ticks a lot of boxes and i see why some say is bust proof.

Please can we not draft another BULL.

We just moved one on, because we couldn't give him a regular game.

Quick, evasive & sweet skills please....

We are in the premiership window - our china shop can't handle more bulls!

china glass GIF by Ferdinand
The logic behind it would be if we want to forward plan for Cripps finishing up in 3-ish years. On that basis alone, now wouldn't be a bad time to bring a kid like Lalor, Smillie or Langford in. Couple of years to learn under the master and grow into their frame, by the time Cripps finishes we've got a replacement ready to unleash.

The argument against is that if we want to play that kid in the seniors to develop them, we're committing to a slow midfield for a few more years. And in two years time we have Cody Walker coming in who I could see spending his debut season at half forward with stints on ball, and by year two will probably be carving it up in the centre square.

I'd do 6 and 10/11 for 3.

Means we only paid Owies to upgrade from 12 and 14.

At those picks I'd take Smillie and Lindsay/Travaglia

It should be considered, the club was rapt with 12 and 14, for no extra cost except Owies to get 6 and 3 spot upgrades would be ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve read it many times from recruiters, players are generally what they are, so dont recruit a player and expect them to turn in to something they’re not.

Smith is a great accumulator, great runner, big game player, good inside and out and has good pace, he ticks a lot of boxes and i see why some say is bust proof.
So often the guy that people say has the high floor low ceiling ends up being the best, despite not being as exciting a pick at the time. Alot of the best AFL players are just really smart footballers who do everything really well, rather than possessing one exceptional trait.

Anyone that hasn’t looked at Jagga Smiths Champs highlights, I urge you to take 4 minutes out of your day and watch the whole video for some decent viewing.

Kid reminds me of Nick Daicos. Demands the football, is evasive and continually runs to create for his team mates.

This kid will be the next big thing and we should definitely consider him.

I don't think he'll be there at our pick ...

Please can we not draft another BULL.

We just moved one on, because we couldn't give him a regular game.

Quick, evasive & sweet skills please....

We are in the premiership window - our china shop can't handle more bulls!

china glass GIF by Ferdinand
Exactly, if Lalor is a "Rayner" type, we don't need him. Rayner has only now just built his tank to become an impact player at AFL level after what four or five years in the system? We want a Sheezel, Daicos, Walsh, Gulden, Reid type that can come in an immediately impact at AFL level which i have fears on if Lalor or FOS can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back