Votes: 21 6.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 61 17.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat and watched some full games to put the highlights in perspective and came away with a wildly different set of rankings.

Honestly, don't think anyone in this draft comes near Harley Reid, McKercher, Sheezel etc. Some big ball winners like Jagga but I don't see any amazing kicks or damaging players at the top end except Murphy Reid.

Jagga Smith and Murphy Reid are my faves for this draft, though I'd happy with Langford, Lalor and Draper too. O'Sullivan for me just hasn't produced enough this year and reminds me of the talk around SPS in his u18 year after an amazing u17 year.

Will be shocked if someone bids on Ben Campo before 40 and I don't think we'd select either of the twins if they had a different surname. Ben is a good talent though, good build and applies himself well and gets where the ball is. Not damaging at all though. Lucas I'll withhold comment on.

Armstrong and Kako are guns, Essendon will be spewing they aren't in a position to land both. Kako is extremely clean and has great skills and marks well for his height.

I simply didn't see Lalor get it enough or hit enough good kicks to be in the discussion with Dusty or De Goey. Draper has good traits but didn't watch him take a game by the scruff of the neck like Murphy Reid did. Reid obviously looks to have modelled his game on Daicos. Like a poor man's version of Nick, which is still worthy of a pick 3
Nice post zee. Because you think the top end isn't as good as the last couple of drafts, would you have preferred to hold onto 12 and 14?

I’m not an informed or good enough judge of potential draftees to know the difference really. I like that whoever we get would seem to bring something complimentary or different to our current midfield, which is needed. A POD with sideways movement or breakaway speed or forward threat marking or (god forbid) an ability to kick well.

The crop at the top all seeem capable though they’re quite undersized by AFL standard. Our current midfielders are brutes by comparison. I can imagine someone smaller and zippier being a good piece though.

I tend to be in the camp that we’ve traded a helluva lot away for this one throw of the dice, so whoever it is, hope we get it right.

So from my observation the main question mark around Jagga is whether he will fill out and if he has the body frame to grow into a size to match it with AFL level mids.
Game is changing I think where big bodied mids is not where the game is going. We’ve got enough of those at present. What we lack are mids with break away speed, quick thinking, quick hands like Daicos and Ashcroft who are not big bodied but can move and link play through the centre corridor.

Don’t think Lalor is that type. More so Smith, Draper or FOS who I think we should target in that order depending on availability.

Game is changing I think where big bodied mids is not where the game is going. We’ve got enough of those at present. What we lack are mids with break away speed, quick thinking, quick hands like Daicos and Ashcroft who are not big bodied but can move and link play through the centre corridor.

Don’t think Lalor is that type. More so Smith, Draper or FOS who I think we should target in that order depending on availability.
For comparison:
Naicos - quite slim, however immense football brain
Neale - strong core
Ashcroft - strong frame

Ollie Holland, Kade Simpson =courageous but skinny

Nice post zee. Because you think the top end isn't as good as the last couple of drafts, would you have preferred to hold onto 12 and 14?
The top 5 are all ready to go, whereas a kid like Joe Berry would have to wait a bit before getting game time. If you could guarantee Tauru or a concussion-less Trainor with one of the picks I'd leap at it - but the game changing type mids are in the top 6-7.

The Tigers trialled 3 or 4 guys in their VFL and wanted Smillie and Reid to play too but it wasn't approved. Goes to show even they have some question marks on the top pick (though I suspect some were trialled for selection at pick 6).

The Vic Metro v Country game was a really high quality match (albeit ruined by an umpire at the end). I would encourage folks to watch it in full and not rely on highlights like I was previously. It's like watching Blake Acres highlights and only seeing dump kicks without understanding how involved he is in every play.

So, from my observation the main question mark around Jagga is whether he will fill out and if he has the body frame to grow into a size to match it with AFL level mids.

That's my concern too. Though I think he relies on agility and quick thinking more than strength as an inside mid. He doesn't really break a lot of tackles even as a junior. More evades them so size isn't as important. I also think at AFL level he will play as a more balanced mid instead of a primary extractor so the role will be slightly different and more suited to his body shape.

Sat and watched some full games to put the highlights in perspective and came away with a wildly different set of rankings.

Honestly, don't think anyone in this draft comes near Harley Reid, McKercher, Sheezel etc. Some big ball winners like Jagga but I don't see any amazing kicks or damaging players at the top end except Murphy Reid.

Jagga Smith and Murphy Reid are my faves for this draft, though I'd happy with Langford, Lalor and Draper too. O'Sullivan for me just hasn't produced enough this year and reminds me of the talk around SPS in his u18 year after an amazing u17 year.

Will be shocked if someone bids on Ben Campo before 40 and I don't think we'd select either of the twins if they had a different surname. Ben is a good talent though, good build and applies himself well and gets where the ball is. Not damaging at all though. Lucas I'll withhold comment on.

Armstrong and Kako are guns, Essendon will be spewing they aren't in a position to land both. Kako is extremely clean and has great skills and marks well for his height.

I simply didn't see Lalor get it enough or hit enough good kicks to be in the discussion with Dusty or De Goey. Draper has good traits but didn't watch him take a game by the scruff of the neck like Murphy Reid did. Reid obviously looks to have modelled his game on Daicos. Like a poor man's version of Nick, which is still worthy of a pick 3
I’ll disagree only with your second paragraph. Josh Smillie is big time impact. Don’t care if he’s Cripps size, he’s a bull mid that can impact games. He can also go forward and play that 3rd tall. Touted early on as #1 pick potential and nothing has changed my belief. Trading with RICH for 6 and 11 would be ideal, but I’d take him at 1 also. The days of the Cripps, Bonts and Greens are far from over. Going to the bench after a goal is what should be over. Rest your bull mid in the forward line. Smillie measured 195.5. I’ll take all that. Cripps is also 29.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see the Roos trading back from pick 2. The only suitable trading partner is Richmond, and the Roos will be spooked that the Dees might grab Tauru at 5.

Early top 5 prediction is:
1. Lalor
2. Tauru
3. FOS
4. Draper
5. Smith

Regardless at pick 3, we’ll have a few high quality players on the board that can impact next year and I have full faith that we’ll select a great player with Austin and Wright at the helm.

It really was fantastic trading to walk away with pick 3 in such a good draft. That pick swap with Hawthorn was an inspired idea. Both teams really backed West Coast into a corner and left them no choice but to fold on both the Baker trade and the Barass trade.

Can’t see the Roos trading back from pick 2. The only suitable trading partner is Richmond, and the Roos will be spooked that the Dees might grab Tauru at 5.

Early top 5 prediction is:
1. Lalor
2. Tauru
3. FOS
4. Draper
5. Smith

Regardless at pick 3, we’ll have a few high quality players on the board that can impact next year and I have full faith that we’ll select a great player with Austin and Wright at the helm.

It really was fantastic trading to walk away with pick 3 in such a good draft. That pick swap with Hawthorn was an inspired idea. Both teams really backed West Coast into a corner and left them no choice but to fold on both the Baker trade and the Barass trade.
Not sure WCE folded on the barass trade- has set them up well for next year

Their fault was trading in a player in Baker who still had loyalty to Richmond and wanted them compensated. It was their commitment to Baker that caused them the grief imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back