Votes: 24 6.6%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 74 20.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Any one of em would seriously add to our midfield but they are all seasoned AFL stars. These kids aren't. Yet.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a good point. I know people say we can't lose with pick 3 but history shows we easily can. The reality is only 1-2 of the top group will likely ever be a stars, then you'll have some solid players and at least one bust. Rather than trying to pick the perfect type of player (I think they could add something in different ways) we need to focus on picking the best player. They may all be close on ability now but that won't be how their careers play out.

It's a good point. I know people say we can't lose with pick 3 but history shows we easily can. The reality is only 1-2 of the top group will likely ever be a stars, then you'll have some solid players and at least one bust. Rather than trying to pick the perfect type of player (I think they could add something in different ways) we need to focus on picking the best player. They may all be close on ability now but that won't be how their careers play out.
Exactly. I'm hoping Austin & co are better than SOS at selecting mids. His current track record albeit small seems okay so far.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately mate, you’re on the money. Another reason I like the trade down option. It’s a lottery generally, but this year there’s at least 8-10 good mids, so they say. Just happens the one I’d pick will probably drop, hence my willingness to trade down.

Fair enough opinion. Some had questioned your strong response earlier in the thread. Just thought I’d ask. Personally, I reckon he’d be very very high on our draft board for #3. I’d go elsewhere myself, but later - ie trade down for a couple.

Lalor/FOS IMO will go 1/2 big bodied mids with speed they are the 2 I’d say are favoured whether that’s tiges or kangas.

I can’t see us taking Jagga at 3 and leaving Sid to go at 4.Our lack of that particular player is evident we need explosiveness out of stoppage and centre SID is THAT player.

Also they’ll be no flight risk as well with both Campos coming,and they’ve played together too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like a heap of players.
Reid is my favourite, but I feel I'm on my own there.
The vision this year of FOS is not amazing, but all reports tell me otherwise.
Levi > Draper > Lombard > Lalor > Jagga > FOS
That might be my Carlton preference.

Late picks I like are Davis, Boxshall, Urquhart.. from a WA perspective. Hannaford if we somehow drifts to our second pick.
Lem just wanted your opinion re Draper
Me and my mates are having a very heated debate pros and cons
1 do you think he’ll impact first year whoever he plays for
2 who does he remind you of
3 Does he fit vosses game plan moving forward

It’s an interesting and well considered argument from Windows1 about us getting pick 2 from North. I hadn’t considered that. And it guarantees us either Lalor or FOS (sticking with Yazz’s tip that we were keen on one of them)
Not sure if mods can fix this BUT

I am actually just Windows. The 1 I had to add because I lost my old account. I’ve been here FOREVER

I’m now convinced we will trade for 2 with North. Reasons:
  • Austin said “38 gives us flexibility in the next few weeks” which means pick swaps
  • North are said to be big on Tauru AND they want to get back into the draft.
  • North cannot bet on Tauru being there at 6 if they trade with Richmond. They will know we won’t take him
- 38 gives them something to bundle with F1 or F2 and move up.

Just my musings. I love Tauru and if I was them I would only slide as low as I was happy would still get him for me. They don’t need any more mids.

They could grab 38 and bundle with a future pick and trade with say GWS or Sydney and then get back in for a goal kicking small. And still get Tauru.

I expect them to fall and stay in love with him and won’t give him up.
Could North trade back to 5 & 9 with Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lalor/FOS IMO will go 1/2 big bodied mids with speed they are the 2 I’d say are favoured whether that’s tiges or kangas.

I can’t see us taking Jagga at 3 and leaving Sid to go at 4.Our lack of that particular player is evident we need explosiveness out of stoppage and centre SID is THAT player.

Also they’ll be no flight risk as well with both Campos coming,and they’ve played together too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, it's out of Lalor, FOS or Sid for me

I like the look of Langford. Speed isn’t everything.
Great point Robbie.

Langford’s numbers 26 disposals, 5/6 clearances per game stack up a lot better than some other highly rated mids like FOS.

Langford - MID, 190cm
National Champs: 25.5 disposals, 6.2 clearances, 6.2 marks
Talent League: 15 games, 25.9 disposals, 4.7 clearances, 1.3 goals

FOS - MID, 182cm
National Champs: 2 games, 11.5 disposals, 1.5 marks, 3.5 tackles
Talent League: 4 games, 17.2 disposals, 3.0 clearances, 1.2 goals.

Not sure speed alone is enough if you can’t generate many disposals and clearances. Langford also has a penetrating left foot kick and is in the top bracket of mids.

On an individual level you can be slow and good.
But our midfield is already slow, to the point of being unbalanced. Hence the Kennedy trade.

We need more speed so that we can win games more consistently.

I agree we lack speed in the midfield but I’d argue that we’re equally lacking a really damaging, penetrating kicker too. All our mids just bomb it long.

Great point Robbie.

Langford’s numbers 26 disposals, 5/6 clearances per game stack up a lot better than some other highly rated mids like FOS.

Langford - MID, 190cm
National Champs: 25.5 disposals, 6.2 clearances, 6.2 marks
Talent League: 15 games, 25.9 disposals, 4.7 clearances, 1.3 goals

FOS - MID, 182cm
National Champs: 2 games, 11.5 disposals, 1.5 marks, 3.5 tackles
Talent League: 4 games, 17.2 disposals, 3.0 clearances, 1.2 goals.

Not sure speed alone is enough if you can’t generate many disposals and clearances. Langford also has a penetrating left foot kick and is in the top bracket of mids.
Watched Langford’s highlights, whoever gets him will be rapt.
He didn’t look slow, beautiful left peg, great mark.
Who does he play like? Any Bont similarity’s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back