Votes: 24 6.4%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 80 21.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's Vyvyan Bastard logic. What if a bid didn't come before 38? That's the obliteration of a draft pick rated ahead of Ben for virtually no gain to us.
So are you trusting port Adelaide not to bid on a local S.A all australian kid at a pick 36 as a minimum. That pretty much means that pick 38 gets wiped out. The gain to us is that we get to pick higher meaning that only one of Lalor, FOS. Jagga and Draper are gone as opposed to 2.

We pretty much have to trade out pick 38 one way or another, having already banked the late picks that we need for any bids, rather than risk losing it for nothing. Moving up a spot might be worth more to us than a future 3rd that we would otherwise be looking at.

So are you trusting port Adelaide not to bid on a local S.A all australian kid at a pick 36 as a minimum. That pretty much means that pick 38 gets wiped out. The gain to us is that we get to pick higher meaning that only one of Lalor, FOS. Jagga and Draper are gone as opposed to 2.

We pretty much have to trade out pick 38 one way or another, having already banked the late picks that we need for any bids, rather than risk losing it for nothing. Moving up a spot might be worth more to us than a future 3rd that we would otherwise be looking at.

There's nothing to be lost by waiting - if a bid comes at 36, we flip 38 for a future pick and can then either trade it back in after matching the bid (probably lose a little value, maybe get a pick in the early 40s) or just hold the future pick for next year. If a bid doesn't come though, we get to use Pick 38 as it is.

Trading it out now to move from 3 to 2 guarantees we lose Pick 38 entirely, and there's a decent chance we do so solely for the privilege of taking the same player at 2 as we would have at 3.

There's nothing to be lost by waiting - if a bid comes at 36, we flip 38 for a future pick and can then either trade it back in after matching the bid (probably lose a little value, maybe get a pick in the early 40s) or just hold the future pick for next year. If a bid doesn't come though, we get to use Pick 38 as it is.

Trading it out now to move from 3 to 2 guarantees we lose Pick 38 entirely, and there's a decent chance we do so solely for the privilege of taking the same player at 2 as we would have at 3.
As I understand it, once a bid comes in you can’t then trade your next pick. That is why clubs get rid of their picks in the first place.

Can only trade for a future pick before the bid comes in, correct me if I’m wrong but make sense.

Look, I'm jaded. I've been around long enough to see our best results come from left-field or from when we've either had everything or nothing to lose. When we think we are being meticulous, the results have been underwhelming at best. I'm still not sure we 'get it'.

My concern with Jagga is that he's archetype, slight mid with outside and inside attributes is already in our mid group with both Ollie and Jaxon.

Having said that, watching more of his clips I think his composure and work in traffic gives me confidence he will be able to successfully play centre-square at the next level

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

My concern with Jagga is that he's archetype, slight mid with outside and inside attributes is already in our mid group with both Ollie and Jaxon.

Having said that, watching more of his clips I think his composure and work in traffic gives me confidence he will be able to successfully play centre-square at the next level

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Plays like Zac butters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately, I’d be happy with any of FOS, Draper, Lalor, Smith.

Knowing that yazz dropped a gem early on in the piece; the club must be confident of one FOS/Lalor being available at our call.

I’m more intrigued by Pick 38 and who could potentially slide - hoping for one of:

Clancy Dennis
Gabriel Stumpf
Kayle Gerryn
Mitch Thorp

O'Sullivan or Smith either would be good additions no doubt, regarding Lalor concern is he's a man child so may not have as good a ceiling. Draper handballs incessantly, when he kicks for distance just bombs floaters no penetration or precision perhaps hurried, in close not bad.

Last edited:
Isn’t very difficult to see FOS had a badly hampered year. He played a lot more footy in his under age year which gave a better sample. He had 22 touches a game as an under ager. Didn’t need to improve much year to year to get that to 25 which I’d expect would have happened had he had a clear run at it. This year should be ignored. If he trended as he should have with modest development he would be an unequivocal number 1.
It's not all down to numbers and injury-related handling errors: kid needs to put on serious size and at least maintain his current athleticism.

He has the apparent Walsh-family trait of running himself to the point where it buggers his kicking power... we don't need more floated F50 entries.

I get the Heeney comparisons, but here's what he looked like at the same age:

Even if everything goes right, does he address our need for consistent elite pace? No.

It's not a bad thing that he might alternate out from HF and the wing instead of being a stoppage grinder. We need speed.

And I don't think Binns will see out another contract with us to be honest. He's not getting stronger and I barely think he's got much quicker if at all.

Hollands may wind up playing off a flank like his brother, I think he's hit his endurance ceiling and his pace suffers. Looked so much more exciting off HB.

As I understand it, once a bid comes in you can’t then trade your next pick. That is why clubs get rid of their picks in the first place.

Can only trade for a future pick before the bid comes in, correct me if I’m wrong but make sense.

Nope, you can trade after the bid comes in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are you sure? Even if that's the case you'd get no value out of it because everyone else would know you're bent over a barrel.
The way it seems to me is that some of these trades are worked out in the background prior to draft, and done if necessary, on a sort of quid pro quo basis...

Ordinarily I’d agree.

However!!!

SPS and Dow were POD’s and ended in tears.

Maybe Jagga is the guaranteed outcome and therefore the best option.
What were SPS' point of difference? He was slow physically and skill wise.

Dows was supposedly explosion but it wasn't anything special at AFL level. His first 5m were good but his top speed was average at best. Not sure he ever actually improved our run despite that being his strength on paper.

Caution: longish read ahead…

I’ve spent my day watching videos of all the top 4 players (thanks flu) through the “footy stuff” YouTube channel and have some thoughts:

Draper:

Have him by far the 4th best option of these. Doesn’t fix our problems.

Strengths:
Competitor: has a crack and keeps buttering up when the ball is in his vicinity.

Clearance work: stays on the move and has a knack for getting to the right spot.

Speed: is able to burst away from traffic and get into space

Weaknesses:
Decision making: so often he gets out into miles of space, and keeps running until he is forced to pop a loopy handball over the top of an opponent.

Kicking: while neat over 20m, his kicking on the run/under pressure is far weaker than any of the others. Often kicks high 30m aimless bombs, and doesn’t have much of an opposite foot. It’s a real issue

Smith:

Seems bust proof but also isn’t a game breaker. I have him 3rd but I can see the appeal.

Strengths:
Accumulation: knows where the ball is going to go and keeps popping up in good spots.

Clever: uses his agility to create space to handball to players in better positions.

Consistent: a lot of his games are very similar. You put his magnet on the board and can be assured of the job he’ll be able to do.

Weaknesses:
Size: won’t stay this small forever but he’s wire thin and not much of a physical threat.

Penetration: he’s a tidy kick. But he tends to kick loopy balls and would struggle to kick far past 40m.

Hurt factor: he’s very involved, but compared to the others his possessions can be less impactful

FOS:

More of a mixed bag than smith but has moments of real quality and afl level traits. Starts round 1 next year as a will hayward with the potential to turn into Heeney

Strengths:
Marking: super athletic and has a great set of hands. Also helps him stay involved defensively as he can spoil and intercept t a higher level.

Kick penetration: can kick a set shot from 50m without much issue and when he blazes away it at least clears a significant distance.

Creativity: can also be his downfall at times but he goes for things that if successful are high impact, doesn’t get the ball like the others but most of his possessions are memorable

Weaknesses:

Accumulation: not as worried about this as some on here but he doesn’t get as much footy as the other 3.

Awareness: probably not the best word for it but he gets caught more often than you’d want. It’s one thing to take it on but you can’t always be superman.

Lalor:

Can see why he’s rumoured to go 1 to the Tigers, oozes afl quality, plays a lot like DeGoey from what I saw.

Strengths:

Kicking: can kick a big ball and pierced it low and hard through the middle with regularity

Size: he’s a big lad and against guys his age he’s way too tough to handle

Confidence: Carries himself like a star. Backs himself to win contests and does.

Weaknesses:

Injuries: high grade hammy this year is a little alarming

Position: is he a full time mid at afl level or is he a half forward who has bursts inside?

This exercise reinforced my high opinions of Lalor and FOS, solidified Smith as a solid 3rd option, and cooled me significantly on Draper.

Still think there’s next to no chance we get a bad player at 3, but Draper throws up red flags that clubs always say they can fix, but never do

Caution: longish read ahead…

I’ve spent my day watching videos of all the top 4 players (thanks flu) through the “footy stuff” YouTube channel and have some thoughts:

Draper:

Have him by far the 4th best option of these. Doesn’t fix our problems.

Strengths:
Competitor: has a crack and keeps buttering up when the ball is in his vicinity.

Clearance work: stays on the move and has a knack for getting to the right spot.

Speed: is able to burst away from traffic and get into space

Weaknesses:
Decision making: so often he gets out into miles of space, and keeps running until he is forced to pop a loopy handball over the top of an opponent.

Kicking: while neat over 20m, his kicking on the run/under pressure is far weaker than any of the others. Often kicks high 30m aimless bombs, and doesn’t have much of an opposite foot. It’s a real issue

Smith:

Seems bust proof but also isn’t a game breaker. I have him 3rd but I can see the appeal.

Strengths:
Accumulation: knows where the ball is going to go and keeps popping up in good spots.

Clever: uses his agility to create space to handball to players in better positions.

Consistent: a lot of his games are very similar. You put his magnet on the board and can be assured of the job he’ll be able to do.

Weaknesses:
Size: won’t stay this small forever but he’s wire thin and not much of a physical threat.

Penetration: he’s a tidy kick. But he tends to kick loopy balls and would struggle to kick far past 40m.

Hurt factor: he’s very involved, but compared to the others his possessions can be less impactful

FOS:

More of a mixed bag than smith but has moments of real quality and afl level traits. Starts round 1 next year as a will hayward with the potential to turn into Heeney

Strengths:
Marking: super athletic and has a great set of hands. Also helps him stay involved defensively as he can spoil and intercept t a higher level.

Kick penetration: can kick a set shot from 50m without much issue and when he blazes away it at least clears a significant distance.

Creativity: can also be his downfall at times but he goes for things that if successful are high impact, doesn’t get the ball like the others but most of his possessions are memorable

Weaknesses:

Accumulation: not as worried about this as some on here but he doesn’t get as much footy as the other 3.

Awareness: probably not the best word for it but he gets caught more often than you’d want. It’s one thing to take it on but you can’t always be superman.

Lalor:

Can see why he’s rumoured to go 1 to the Tigers, oozes afl quality, plays a lot like DeGoey from what I saw.

Strengths:

Kicking: can kick a big ball and pierced it low and hard through the middle with regularity

Size: he’s a big lad and against guys his age he’s way too tough to handle

Confidence: Carries himself like a star. Backs himself to win contests and does.

Weaknesses:

Injuries: high grade hammy this year is a little alarming

Position: is he a full time mid at afl level or is he a half forward who has bursts inside?

This exercise reinforced my high opinions of Lalor and FOS, solidified Smith as a solid 3rd option, and cooled me significantly on Draper.

Still think there’s next to no chance we get a bad player at 3, but Draper throws up red flags that clubs always say they can fix, but never do
Good wrap TJ thanks
Get well soon 🤧🤒

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back