Votes: 26 6.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 86 22.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, clearly the coaches opinion of a player and your opinion of the player should be treated equally.

But on Austin I would say 2 things, a player not being a hit does not make them a miss and this will be Austin’s 5 draft and in 2025 there will likely be between 3 and 7 best 23 players in a side expected to make finals from those drafts with just 1 top 10 pick and 2 inside 27 - that is a pretty decent record.

Meow.

Bring me something where Voss is saying that he is happy with all the aspects of Durdin that is expected of a small forward, before forcing me into a death battle with Voss.

Pretty sure Durds has played VFL without it being a return from injury. He's not a walk up start.

At the time you say Voss said this about him, I thought we missed him too. Fog was missing, Williams injured and Owies just can't apply pressure. Durds had a reasonable game before being injured.

None of this is a tick for his career to date, in order to say his drafting was a tick for Austin.

And no, not being a hit does not make them a miss, which I have said the whole time. They are still listed players and can still go either way.

Going back to where we started, look at the picks Austin has had - regardless of the quality of the draft picks in that range are always going to be speculative
Austin's picks can only be compared to the other picks/players that were available to him at the time of selection, he didn't have access to kids higher in the draft order.

As for his selection/s this year, we don't have to select the best future player, we just need the best one for our system that is available.

That might be the cleaner ball users like FOS, Langford and Jagga.(Warning...my advanced knowledge of each kids attributes are based only on what I read in this thread)

Meow.

Bring me something where Voss is saying that he is happy with all the aspects of Durdin that is expected of a small forward, before forcing me into a death battle with Voss.

Pretty sure Durds has played VFL without it being a return from injury. He's not a walk up start.

At the time you say Voss said this about him, I thought we missed him too. Fog was missing, Williams injured and Owies just can't apply pressure. Durds had a reasonable game before being injured.

None of this is a tick for his career to date, in order to say his drafting was a tick for Austin.

And no, not being a hit does not make them a miss, which I have said the whole time. They are still listed players and can still go either way.
Thanks for reminding me why I resisted coming on here for so long and why I will probably step back again.

You have taken the to the time to argue against me in multiple posts, despite me only ever saying it was “arguable” ie plausible or probable not definite, but somehow end up saying you agreed all along that Austin’s picks aren’t misses.

On top of this you get offended with the logical point that the coaches opinion might be more important and informed than yours AND the suggestion that given you think Durdin has played less than a handful of good games while the coach really missed him you might be looking for different things in his game.

You also seem determined to miss the main point that Austin has largely only had late second early third round picks and yet still will have a minimum of 3 and possibly 7 best 23 players in a contending team next year - which should give us all confidence he can nail pick 3 in a super draft - although I am sure whoever he picks will be judged to be wrong be the host of people on here who have watched 5 minutes of highlights

It's hard to compare SOS vs Austins drafting. Such different scenarios. SOS had so many early picks. Gave him a much better chance to draft guns but also to have high profile misses.

Additionally, SOS picks didn't have the same environment to come into. Now is definitely much better from a player development perspective. That said, it would have been much easier to crack a game for SOS's guys. Fisher and SPS were pretty much walk up starts for most their career and ended up playing 120 games. They would be playing much more reserves if starting now.

I trust Austin more though. Whether you define them as hits or misses (it can be subjective plus still early) most his picks at least look solid. Good or great at VFL level and not out of place in the AFL side even if they don't nail down a spot (which is becoming increasingly harder). A guy like Carroll would probably have played 100 games if he was drafted 10 years ago. Now he's looking like a delist. SOS drafted a fair few guys that were a mile off and not even VFL standard.

In 5 drafts SOS took 28 guys after the first round. Of those 28 only 4 played over 50 games (TDK, Cotts, Fisher, Silvagni). Only a further 2 even played 20 games (Williamson, Gibbons) and 10 players never played a game. You add Dow, LOB, Philp, Stocker, Cunners as first round picks and it starts to look pretty horrendous.

We've probably been saved by the fact his 2015 draft was so exceptional and due to being a big club have been able to attract players even without winning. If we were a lower profile club his recruitment would have been harder to come back from.

I'm not calling Austin definitely better then SOS yet. It's too early. But based on the evidence so far, I am more comfortable with him in the role.

I do think SOS is slightly better at the trade table. More creative, a tougher negotiator and great a maximizing the resources he has. Not to say Austin is bad. His approach is very different and good in its own way. Helped us get 3 this year.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the old 'we can't judge these decisions now or compare too much with the past' debate, that we perpetually swirl around in, forever.

Austin is doing OK, but we frankly need better from here on out, not weird formulaic picks like Ollie Hollands.

Especially you Jim you old fart.
Oi, I'm not even 40 yet

Ah yes, the old 'we can't judge these decisions now or compare too much with the past' debate, that we perpetually swirl around in, forever.

Austin is doing OK, but we frankly need better from here on out, not weird formulaic picks like Ollie Hollands.

Oi, I'm not even 40 yet
I didn’t really love the Hollands pick but between taking him at 11 and Cowan at 30 there might only be one player better then him.

Will be really dumb by them, every year clubs are seduced by the top 2 or 3 and so often the best players are spread throughout the first round.
Morris paraphrased it by saying 6 in Top 20 would be better than 8 in the Top 25 ~ citing they should get higher and less prospects because just like GWS, they all come out of contract at the same time and need plenty of coin to satisfy, or lose them like Treloar and Co. They have a very good opportunity to retool on the fly, but their picks are spread a bit.

Should Travaglia be given more of a consideration at our first pick?

When you can throw a blanket over so many players why not go for one of the few guys who has no real problems in any of the important football traits (at least according to reports)?

Revenge of the Bendigo zone?

Was watching an interview with Jagga the other day (from earlier in the year) and caught a couple of FOS. Very different characters.

Jagga seems your consummate professional. Think Walsh, Cotchin, Selwood. Very serious about his football, well spoken, intelligent, mature, student of the game type. Screams future captain.

FOS is a bit of a larrikin. Seems more happy go lucky. A country kid. Not a footy head by his own admission. Doesn't speak nearly as well or come across as that bright. Strikes me as a more instinctive player rather than much of a thinker.

Both lovely kids in their own right. Just quite different. I wonder how much that will factor into who we pick and if there is one personality type, we feel we need more than the other.

Might be wrong. Just my observations.

Should Travaglia be given more of a consideration at our first pick?

When you can throw a blanket over so many players why not go for one of the few guys who has no real problems in any of the important football traits (at least according to reports)?

Revenge of the Bendigo zone?
Absolutely not.

We had 12 and 14. Every chance travaglia is available at 12. If we wanted him we wouldn’t have traded up that high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morris paraphrased it by saying 6 in Top 20 would be better than 8 in the Top 25 ~ citing they should get higher and less prospects because just like GWS, they all come out of contract at the same time and need plenty of coin to satisfy, or lose them like Treloar and Co. They have a very good opportunity to retool on the fly, but their picks are spread a bit.

Fair point except GWS and GC found it tougher as their players had the go home factor as well.

I don’t see many Vic kids wanting to leave a big Vic club

Thanks for reminding me why I resisted coming on here for so long and why I will probably step back again.

You have taken the to the time to argue against me in multiple posts, despite me only ever saying it was “arguable” ie plausible or probable not definite, but somehow end up saying you agreed all along that Austin’s picks aren’t misses.

On top of this you get offended with the logical point that the coaches opinion might be more important and informed than yours AND the suggestion that given you think Durdin has played less than a handful of good games while the coach really missed him you might be looking for different things in his game.

You also seem determined to miss the main point that Austin has largely only had late second early third round picks and yet still will have a minimum of 3 and possibly 7 best 23 players in a contending team next year - which should give us all confidence he can nail pick 3 in a super draft - although I am sure whoever he picks will be judged to be wrong be the host of people on here who have watched 5 minutes of highlights

Wait, you made a snide remark to me that was uncalled for.

I didn't somehow make the point that Austin's picks aren't misses. I said from the outside that they aren't hits or misses yet, and you kept responding with more argument.

My point again, they aren't hits OR misses YET.

This is the cut and thrust of message boards. You post a strong opinion and people disagree. You offer up further evidence to back your opinion, and the cut and thrust continued. I said from the start I was in neither camp, so I'm not sure what you were disagreeing with so vehemently.

Having a shot at me as though I suggested my opinion was on a par with Voss, was just cynical. I never got frustrated and had a shot at you.

Up to you whether you stick around. You definitely should. I got smacked around a lot in my early days, and still do occasionally. Most posters here have. It is the nature of forums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back