Votes: 34 8.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 104 24.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not convinced Voss will play a 1st player in starting mid position when walsh, cerra, hewit, cripps, lord available.

So my question, was more about understanding whether he will bide his time in the reserves or can get early games playing a different role.

Toby Bedford style role was my guess reading above. Use his speed and tackling habit as defensive HHF and can spread in transition.

Not convinced Voss will play a 1st player in starting mid position when walsh, cerra, hewit, cripps, lord available.

So my question, was more about understanding whether he will bide his time in the reserves or can get early games playing a different role.

Toby Bedford style role was my guess reading above. Use his speed and tackling habit as defensive HHF and can spread in transition.
I think Draper and Jagga walk into our starting midfield day 1 over Lord due to the x factor they can provide. Lalor or FOS would likely start at half forward. All four play Round 1 if fit.

Why wouldn't Voss play a pick 3 straight away when he was prepared to play O.Hollands (pick 11) and Cowan (pick 30) in their first available games?

It will all come down to how they train over the off season

Lords played 2 games and got picked up only half way through the year.

If he's gonna play lord he'd have no issue with a more talented kid in pick 3

On Lord. People forget that as soon as he came in he was put into the midfield and Kennedy moved virtually completely out. Once Cerra came back, out went Lord.

We seem to like only playing the four midfielders, Cerra, Walsh, Cripps and Hewett. Walsh is the only one of those who is decent at playing a different position so I don’t think a lot of midfield time will be opened up without one of those four being injured or Walsh moved outside the midfield more which imo would be strange as he’s the only top runner of the lot.

The question about Draper having a second position imo is a very valid and interesting one.

On Lord. People forget that as soon as he came in he was put into the midfield and Kennedy moved virtually completely out. Once Cerra came back, out went Lord.

We seem to like only playing the four midfielders, Cerra, Walsh, Cripps and Hewett. Walsh is the only one of those who is decent at playing a different position so I don’t think a lot of midfield time will be opened up without one of those four being injured or Walsh moved outside the midfield more which imo would be strange as he’s the only top runner of the lot.

The question about Draper having a second position imo is a very valid and interesting one.
1730097153056.png

This is fair, we run a pretty clear top 3 when we're fully fit with Cripps, Walsh and Hewett.

When we have all three of those available (see Rounds 5-8, 10-15 and 19-25) we:
  • have about 55% of the time, a fourth midfielder having at least 50%+ CBAs (see Kennedy - Rounds 7, 10, 15, 21 and 22, Cerra - Round 8, Hollands in Rounds 11, 12 and 13 or Lord Round 24); and
  • the remaining 45% of the time, fourth and fifth midfielders with around 30% of the CBAs (see Kennedy - Rounds 5, 6, 11, 13, Cooper Lord Round 23 and Jack Carrol in Round 5).

With Kennedy and Caroll gone, we have four clear midfielders, with Lord stepping into the Carroll equivalent spot. I think Kennedy's spot - average of 33% CBAs for the year is there for the taking for Pick #3 and we are only one injury away from playing both Lord and Pick #3 every week with decent midfield minutes.

Ahh fudge. I haven’t rated Draper really through no solid reasoning and a mate just got me to watch more of his highlights. I’m a spud. I’m sold. He is very good. I’d be happy with El-Sid, or Mick Jagga, or Dusty Lalor, or Full-of-Sullivan. We can’t lose at 3. Only negative is the potential go home factor but we had the best Croweater ever amongst a fair few others. Father Campo to boot and Sid is best mates with Ben is he not. Hurry up with that damn draft. Why are we waiting so bloody long.

There is seriously up to 8-10 really solid mids in this draft. We need another 1st to hopefully snag a slider.

View attachment 2153174

This is fair, we run a pretty clear top 3 when we're fully fit with Cripps, Walsh and Hewett.

When we have all three of those available (see Rounds 5-8, 10-15 and 19-25) we:
  • have about 55% of the time, a fourth midfielder having at least 50%+ CBAs (see Kennedy - Rounds 7, 10, 15, 21 and 22, Cerra - Round 8, Hollands in Rounds 11, 12 and 13 or Lord Round 24); and
  • the remaining 45% of the time, fourth and fifth midfielders with around 30% of the CBAs (see Kennedy - Rounds 5, 6, 11, 13, Cooper Lord Round 23 and Jack Carrol in Round 5).

With Kennedy and Caroll gone, we have four clear midfielders, with Lord stepping into the Carroll equivalent spot. I think Kennedy's spot - average of 33% CBAs for the year is there for the taking for Pick #3 and we are only one injury away from playing both Lord and Pick #3 every week with decent midfield minutes.
Yep and if you look at our last 5 games last season when the season was on the line the only time a fifth midfielder had more than one CBA was when Cerra got injured.
If we don’t have injuries then the 5th midfielder has to be bloody versatile or we are better off just playing flankers.

Yep and if you look at our last 5 games last season when the season was on the line the only time a fifth midfielder had more than one CBA was when Cerra got injured.
If we don’t have injuries then the 5th midfielder has to be bloody versatile or we are better off just playing flankers.
Agree with the first part, I don't agree with the second part. I think there will always be injuries. Be they in game, for extended periods or even suspensions. I think it would be foolish to not pick a pure midfielder because we have 4 current midfielders. Particularly when that current group of 4 midfielders is not putting it together as a group.

Last year we had - what 3 or 4 games where we had our full quartet of preferred midfielders all together?

Plus there is still a need to break that quartet up and add some new elements to it. Walsh, Cripps, Cerra and Hewett didn't run both ways enough and wasn't dynamic moving through the midfield. I think there is room for an elite midfielder to step into the midfield and either - replace Cerra or Hewett through sheer talent or (more likely) force a different midfield mix whereby we move away from a core four midfielders, reduce the midfield minutes of Cripps and Walsh (Cripps resting forward more, Walsh starting at CHF like he did in 2023) and have a broader distribution of midfielders around the 40-50% CBA mark.

Ahh fudge. I haven’t rated Draper really through no solid reasoning and a mate just got me to watch more of his highlights. I’m a spud. I’m sold. He is very good. I’d be happy with El-Sid, or Mick Jagga, or Dusty Lalor, or Full-of-Sullivan. We can’t lose at 3. Only negative is the potential go home factor but we had the best Croweater ever amongst a fair few others. Father Campo to boot and Sid is best mates with Ben is he not. Hurry up with that damn draft. Why are we waiting so bloody long.

There is seriously up to 8-10 really solid mids in this draft. We need another 1st to hopefully snag a slider.
you spud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive my lack of knowledge about this, but is the choice of pick 3 purely up to Austin and his team (ie Agresta etc) or does the coach, GM, CEO etc also have any say.
Sorry, but actually not sure how the process goes within the 4 walls

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Forgive my lack of knowledge about this, but is the choice of pick 3 purely up to Austin and his team (ie Agresta etc) or does the coach, GM, CEO etc also have any say.

In fairness, I doubt any of us do. It would vary from club to club as to who gets a say and how much. Ideally the List Manager and recruiters should be the ones involved, but internal power and politics would vary. Be assured, the coach had a big say in Fantasia, but probably equally true he was frozen out this year re: Houston. Draft picks likely along similar lines. Expect we are closer to the “ pure” model now.

Hard to know the inner machinations of the club but usually the list manager would have the final call. It would be a somewhat consultative process. The football department and coach would be involved and have the chance to provide input. There would need to be alignment around the type of personalities and players looking to be brought to the club. The recruitment team would do the groundwork that would inform Austins call but ultimately it should be (and likely is) his decision.

I doubt the CEO has much to do with it aside from being across the strategy, but GW might provide some input given his background.

Lalor would be a dream but no way he makes it to 3
SA boys have always suited the blues
Draper is exactly what we lack he will be a star pencil it in
Followed by Sullivan hoping 1 of these boys will be chosen by Curly

Lalor would be a dream but no way he makes it to 3
SA boys have always suited the blues
Draper is exactly what we lack he will be a star pencil it in
Followed by Sullivan hoping 1 of these boys will be chosen by Curly

Yeah I'm still liking him with our pick...

Take a look at this clip at the 1:45 mark:

That is the bigger bodied "coach's dream/perfect player" Josh Smillie who not only gets beat to the pill because he waits for it while Draper just darts after it... but then he jogs after Draper bolts off with it.

Which mid do we currently have that can win the pill like that then bolt off at that speed and link up? There's a POD that he would give us.

In fairness, I doubt any of us do. It would vary from club to club as to who gets a say and how much. Ideally the List Manager and recruiters should be the ones involved, but internal power and politics would vary. Be assured, the coach had a big say in Fantasia, but probably equally true he was frozen out this year re: Houston. Draft picks likely along similar lines. Expect we are closer to the “ pure” model now.
Yeah, I'm with ya on that...no doubt there would have been some fairly robust conversations going on inside the 4 walls of Princes Park over the past month or so.

List Management looking at the overall list strategy, coaches looking for wins. Houston vs Pick 3 blah blah blah.

You'd imagine there would have been a number of workshops looking at our list requirements, and where we need to improve our list. When you look back at the video footage a few years back on draft nite in the Carlton War Room when we selected Ollie and Binnsy - and Austin turning to Voss asking if he was happy with the selections, then saying "there's the extra run you're after" - or something along those lines.

Even this year, Austin has stated the type of player we're targeting - it's not the type of player that Austin is after, it's a player that has been identified as being a POD in our current list.

I've got no doubt Cooky would have been up to his neck in the process to make sure that each department stays in their lanes. GW may take a more active approach to LM given his background, but you'd think it would be more in a mentoring and advisory role, as opposed to our old mate Cain Liddle who wanted to get his hands well and truly dirty.

Do u hate me this much?

And he is slow. His athleticism, or lack there of, is his biggest hindrance as a prospect. If he had Draper or FOS profile he'd almost certainly go #1
I don’t hate you. You’re just wrong. “Not quick” does not equal “slow”. Reid is a decent athlete. Adequate pace and good endurance. You can keep calling him slow if you want but you’re only damaging your cred. Hewitt is slow. Kennedy is slow. Reid is not slow.

If O'Sullivan and Smith are off the board it will be between Lalor, Langford or Draper, they are the stand outs depending on what suits a club, so let's sit back and enjoy the next few weeks. We should snap up a quality youngster, forget the Dow effect, if possible.

Last edited:
Thanks mm3 & CB (and whoever else replies)

I thought/hoped it would be as you describe ie consultative to some degree.

We've now got the right minds, I believe, at the club, or at least it's better than before in my eyes. Be a shame not to utilise them, again, to some degree.

I think Austin and his team would have the majority of say, as they're the ones that have done all the work throughout the year, and what they're employed to do, and in that, it comes down to their assessment of talent.

I've been looking into Austin a bit lately and since coming to us in 2020, with what he's had to work with picks wise, I think he's done quite well.

Looking through each year, I don't think there was much else, by way of better players, that he could have chosen, with the picks he had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back