Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must believe they can collectively build up the backline and throw Stewy in to set the tone then move him back once we are settled.
He showed against Brisbane that he can win clearances against the best mids in the comp.
Don't like this shifting throughout the match lol, creates confusion for our other players. Either play him in defence or in the midfield. Not half ass one position.

The "can you tell us a few kids who are pushing for round 1?" type questions are never going to be answered.

May as well ask "can you name a few youngsters you want to put undue pressure on while denting the morale of the rest?"

If history is any guide the teams for the practice matches will tell you who is pushing for a spot especially if the Carlton game is the 6 quarter AFL and VFL combined game.

Stewart in the middle feels like its either ends with him back in defense by Rd 6 because it hasn't worked, or that we end the season with the phrase "Premiership Midfielder Stewart".

No in the middle on that. Either overwhelming failure or overwhelming success.

Think the bolded works wonders when everything clicks, but it is conditional upon alot working right as a collective.

If you are going to operate a small defence, you need to ensure the midfield and forwards are dropping back to help out and clogg up any possibility of a contested mark.

If we are to run a small forward line.. Shannon neale is in alot of trouble then.
Nothing they divulge now is set in concrete, surely.
We are desperate for Cats news now, but results, once the season starts, should determine our structure.

I love all of that except, and maybe history will prove me wrong, Stewart in the middle.

I want to love it I just can't
For what it is worth my track watcher reckons it is just a bit of fun…we will see a little more of it in 2024 but no way are they sacrificing him from defence. Match sims he has been almost soley in defence and absolutely dominating!

Don't like this shifting throughout the match lol, creates confusion for our other players. Either play him in defence or in the midfield. Not half ass one position.
Except this is the antithesis to successful sides in modern footy, who rotate at will. Just look at Daicos, Crisp, De Goey and Pendlebury for Collingwood in recent years.

Except this is the antithesis to successful sides in modern footy, who rotate at will. Just look at Daicos, Crisp, De Goey and Pendlebury for Collingwood in recent years.
We (Geelong) also have done it ever since CS was our coach.
I'm expecting Zac Guthrie to take over from Stewart as the general in defence, but it would not surprise me if he played MF lots of times.

I'm expecting Zac Guthrie to take over from Stewart as the general in defence, but it would not surprise me if he played MF lots of times.
Spot on.

Scott moved Stokes, Chapman and Johnson to midfield more when we needed it.

Bartel became more of a forward.

Ablett moved forward.

Atkins went from forward, to defence, to midfield based on what the team needed.

Smith/Tuohy had stints at half forward to complement their main roles.

Blicavs has had ruck, ruck/defence, all defence and midfield/ruck years.

O'Connor is highly versatile.

J.Henry has been a swingman when required. Taylor too.

Now from these examples I'm in no way suggesting Stewart will have a permanent redefining of role. But he might add a burst here or there to a place of need.

Stewart in the middle feels like its either ends with him back in defense by Rd 6 because it hasn't worked, or that we end the season with the phrase "Premiership Midfielder Stewart".

We've always gone against the grain and tried things. Sometimes good sometimes bad.
To use the team's analogy line from our premiership year.

"We don't want to swim between the flags, lets drag this out into deep water and see who's comfortable."

Stewy playing in the midfield is taking a risk and swimming out into deep water.
I'd MUCH rather take risks and be daring than do what we did from 2016-2021 playing it safe and conservative.

Stewart's assets as a defender have always made him an obvious candidate for the midfield.
The question is whether they can restructure the defence so as to cover his loss there.

New things are always scary.

They'd only be throwing him in for a brief burst like Hodge anyway. Think "Stengle 2023" amount of midfield minutes, not "we're going to try and turn Stewart into Selwood". His around the ground midfield work would probably end up being sitting a kick behind the play while someone else pushes in.
This sounds reasonable. I may need you to hold my hand in round one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think it would cause too much chaos for us imagine what it would be like being a defender and being drawn way out of the backline before realising you're out of position, or being a mid charging towards a loose ball and seeing Stewart coming through like a steam train.

I think we gain more than we lose from said chaos because we drive the chaos.

Whether we gain more than we lose with him leaving the backline is the part that is making me sweat

The "can you tell us a few kids who are pushing for round 1?" type questions are never going to be answered.

May as well ask "can you name a few youngsters you want to put undue pressure on while denting the morale of the rest?"

If history is any guide the teams for the practice matches will tell you who is pushing for a spot especially if the Carlton game is the 6 quarter AFL and VFL combined game.
I really, really hope it's a 6 quarter game.

I need it.

NEED IT

If it works and he plays midfield all year he'll be named an all Australian defender

Nothing they divulge now is set in concrete, surely.
We are desperate for Cats news now, but results, once the season starts, should determine our structure.
In saying that, they do have to train and prepare a certain plan over the pre season. If they plan to go smaller, they probably need to adjust things to suit a different style of play.

Our my personal favourite, Blitz/Stanley ruck combo.

Everytime I think of that I think of a documentary I saw on Kalahari desert hunters who literally just chased impalas for hours until the impala collapsed from exhaustion.

And that gentlemen, is how we took down Max Gawn

Our my personal favourite, Blitz/Stanley ruck combo.

Everytime I think of that I think of a documentary I saw on Kalahari desert hunters who literally just chased impalas for hours until the impala collapsed from exhaustion.

And that gentlemen, is how we took down Max Gawn
That's a great analogy!

And it seemed in 2023 this is what sides did to us, after our impalas grazed a little too heavily in the summer.

Hopefully they're back to full capacity in 2024.

That's a great analogy!

And it seemed in 2023 this is what sides did to us, after our impalas grazed a little too heavily in the summer.

Hopefully they're back to full capacity in 2024.
Yeah look, let the impala that has never grazed too heavily cast the first...

.. ok they don't have opposable thumbs but you get the idea

In saying that, they do have to train and prepare a certain plan over the pre season. If they plan to go smaller, they probably need to adjust things to suit a different style of play.
I suspect Kelly just meant a return to 3 talls in defence after we played 4 in a couple of games last year.

The “smaller defence” came up after Kelly praised O'Sullivan's preseason, and then a journo asked who fills Ratugolea's spot in defence - I think he just meant they'll return to the 2022 backline (J Henry, Kolo, DK) after we played Ratugolea with those 3 a few times. I can't see any of the 2022 backs playing VFL. Rucks will probably also inform the backline balance (i.e. if Stanley and Blitz both play most games).

A smaller forward line maaaybe a bit more likely if we want to squeeze Dempsey as well as Mannagh into the team - but it's hard to imagine the MC dropping Rohan (Hawk, Cameron and O Henry are undroppable IMO).

I suspect Kelly just meant a return to 3 talls in defence after we played 4 in a couple of games last year.

The “smaller defence” came up after Kelly praised O'Sullivan's preseason, and then a journo asked who fills Ratugolea's spot in defence - I think he just meant they'll return to the 2022 backline (J Henry, Kolo, DK) after we played Ratugolea with those 3 a few times. I can't see any of the 2022 backs playing VFL. Rucks will probably also inform the backline balance (i.e. if Stanley and Blitz both play most games).

A smaller forward line maaaybe a bit more likely if we want to squeeze Dempsey as well as Mannagh into the team - but it's hard to imagine the MC dropping Rohan (Hawk, Cameron and O Henry are undroppable IMO).

The smaller forward line could mean Cameron or O Henry pushing up into the wing or into midfield at times. Or even defence for Henry. We tend to move young players around to give them a better understanding of the game at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back