Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read somewhere it was going to be on kayo though? Does that mean fox will be calling the game too?
hope so... just wanted our blokes calling it as they know so much more about them.... well Kingy does at least lol

GO Catters

Flag: NSFW 🔞

Geelong track watch: Tanner Bruhn lights up match simulation as Max Holmes trialled in new role​

There were some best 22 hints as Geelong players locked horns in match simulation. And one of their youngsters turned heads with a stunning display. See all the intel.

Max Holmes during Geelong Cats training on Thursday. Picture: Geelong Cats.
Max Holmes during Geelong Cats training on Thursday. Picture: Geelong Cats.
BEST 22 HINTS
One of the biggest surprises in the probables team was small forward Ollie Dempsey, who managed just five senior games last season.
The speedy forward impressed with his defensive pressure and workrate, regularly presenting an option up the ground and then darting back to goal.
Dempsey was among a host of players who switched between the probables and possibles sides – including fellow fringe Cats Shannon Neale, who impressed up forward, and Mitch Knevitt – but spent most of his day in the stronger line-up.
But with best-and-fairest runner up Tom Atkins playing the entirety in the seconds midfield, it wasn’t the sides weren’t a clear indication of who would line up in round one.
With Dangerfield sidelined, second-year midfielder Jhye Clark played a full game with the probables playing primarily on ball with stints on the wing.
A baulk to get away from a tackler and a laser-like hit to find Neale inside 50 were among the highlights from a promising showing.
Jack Bowes converted a nice set shot from a tight angle and played mostly through the midfield in the stronger blue side, while prized draftee Connor O’Sullivan put in an encouraging performance for the pink team.
O’Sullivan cut off attacking forays with a couple of key intercepts, provided run and carry from the back-half and showed his versatility by matching up on talls and smalls, including Tyson Stengle.
Dour defender Jed Bews, who played 15 senior games last year, was in the possibles side throughout.
Jhye Clark played for the stronger Cats side. Picture: Geelong Cats.
Jhye Clark played for the stronger Cats side. Picture: Geelong Cats.
WHO WASN’T OUT THERE
Dangerfield watched on from the sidelines, while Gary Rohan and Jake Kolodjashnij both didn’t take part in training.
Draftee Shaun Mannagh started in the probables but came off early to complete a running block, while fellow mature-ager Oli Wiltshire walked laps at the beginning of the session and sat on the sidelines for the duration of training.
Midfielder Brandan Parfitt and project ruckman Mitch Edwards were away from the main group with Parfitt completing some high speed running.
Geelong said all players were undertaking their own individual programs and management plans and there were no injury concerns from the group that sat out match simulation.
Utility Mark Blicavs played with a non-contact hat and had some eye-catching moments, with the 32-year-old getting the all-clear from coach Chris Scott watching on that he could compete in ruck contests.
Geelong’s mid-season pick-up from last year Mitch Hardie came off clutching his shoulder but returned to play out the match, while third-year midfielder James Willis copped a knock and came off.
He was then sighted walking along the boundary with his upper leg strapped.
HANDY HENRYS
More Coverage
‘Bloody confident’: Danger’s bold call after Cats’ shock 2023 decline
‘Bloody confident’: Danger’s bold call after Cats’ shock 2023 decline
Danger throws support behind mid-season trade, opening round
Danger throws support behind mid-season trade, opening round
Jack and Ollie Henry only played half a season together in their first year together after Ollie’s move from Collingwood, but the brothers are set to play a key role at either end.
The older Henry’s reading of the play caught the eye as he took four intercept marks in defence, with the 25-year-old seemingly over the Lisfranc ligament injury that ended his 2023 season.
Meanwhile, Ollie kicked two majors and was lively in the air and at ground level, clunking a couple of high-leaping marks.

The younger was definitely better at the give and go handpass;)

Given that nobody ever saw Senior attempt one, we'll surely never know.

:D

Yep had Junior covered there as well. Not satisfied with the 1-2 he had to raise the bar again 😎
About 25 secs in.
36 touches and 5 goals this day playing in the middle.

Highlights from the Match Sim.

I love the sounds from on the field, the thump of the ball, the calling for the ball, etc. I wish the telecast would mix those sounds a bit louder than the crowd, which is also important. Like NFL, you hear the hits and QB calls AND the crowd. Last have the announcer buried a bit more and a lot less chatter.

I love the sounds from on the field, the thump of the ball, the calling for the ball, etc. I wish the telecast would mix those sounds a bit louder than the crowd, which is also important. Like NFL, you hear the hits and QB calls AND the crowd. Last have the announcer buried a bit more and a lot less chatter.
Oh yes.

You have to do a bit of a trial period where you basically train the players to stop swearing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes pretty handy but my takeaway from those highlights is tanner looks primed.
I don't want to disagree because I think tanner could be about to have a big year, but I rewatched and he only touches the ball 3 times. Twice wrapped in a tackle and once he soccer's forward out of a stoppage.

I think I saw a bit I looked in Clark there though. I loved the grab and fend from Willis. He looks like he could deadlift a car to let you change the tyre.

Bruhn had zero effective possessions in that video package and couldn’t break tackles twice (but they were not really breakable tackles).

A few small things I liked from the very limited video was.

* Bowes busting through the middle of the ground after a stoppage at pace.

* Stevens in the action and looking fit.

* Danger looks like he is running on top of the ground (fingers crossed he stays fit).

* Willis winning a 1v1 against Jack Henry.

* Conway looks like he can out ruck Stanley (around the ground might differ though)

* Guthrie/J Henry just being back in the action.

The video gave us very little.

Bring on the trail matches.

Last edited:
I hope you’re right, but if you can tell that from 5s of footage and a soccered kick you are the greatest visionary the game has seen.
Only things I could take away from that vision are, Conway & Willis are on the track this time of the year and Stevens has clearly slimmed down from his last appearance in the VFL.

Bring on the pre-season games. These videos just wet the appetite.

Any chance Stevens was wearing a vest during his draft year to slide down to us.
Long way to go obviously for him but if he can turn into a late draft pick gem, it would be huge for our next gen midfield.

To have the year he had after a reco was impressive. His numbers were huge… but he was a bit of a man amongst boys.

His last VFL game he looked as good as anyone on the ground as an 18 year old (probably overweight) kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back