Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL Fantasy Draft 2024 - Enter your own Draft to build your team within your league. Each AFL player can only be on one team within your league and once they’re yours, they’re yours! Throughout the season you can trade with other teams or go back to the player pool to improve your squad.​

Oh yes I've heard of that before. Tried to find mates to do it with but none were up for it. I'd be interested. Obviously couldn't have too many of us there are after all only 18 teams in the competition.

Oh yes I've heard of that before. Tried to find mates to do it with but none were up for it. I'd be interested. Obviously couldn't have too many of us there are after all only 18 teams in the competition.
Sweet, first come best dressed I guess, unless we have enough for a 2nd league. Have 3/20 so far.

Oisin_the_Goat
cat_shack
4quarter_cat

copy this list and add your name in if anoyone else interested.

Any news on George Stevens pre season form?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

His body shape has trimmed down significantly since his VFL appearances based on some of the preseason photos. He looked physically massive but with puppy fat 6 months ago. He's pretty lean and chiseled now. It's an impressive turnaround actually.

As with any teenager expectations can't be too high. Probably a year learning in the VFL but time will tell.

I'd be keen! love draft
Sweet

AFL Dream Team Draft League Interest (10/20)

Please post your interested in tthe below thread if you're keen!

Last edited:
I won't go and read the 60 pages before... But surely most of you all won't agree in playing The best defender in the league in Tom Stewart in the midfield....

I’m pretty sure the consensus is that he should be our future CHF instead

:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong addy

Geelong track watch: Tanner Bruhn lights up match simulation as Max Holmes trialled in new role
There were some best 22 hints as Geelong players locked horns in match simulation. And one of their youngsters turned heads with a stunning display. See all the intel.

There is plenty of buzz around Geelong’s group of youngsters and judging by Thursday’s match simulation, the Tanner Bruhn hype is justified.

The 21-year-old, who requested a trade back to his hometown of Geelong after two seasons at the Giants, showed glimpses last season with more midfield minutes and that time on-ball appears set to rise again in 2024.

Bruhn was the clear standout in the Cats’ four-quarter match practice, ducking and weaving through traffic to win centre clearances and hitting up targets inside 50 with precision in a full-time midfield role.

His second half in particular was dominant, putting the icing on the cake with a goal on the run from the 50m arc after winning the initial centre clearance.

Geelong captain Patrick Dangerfield, who sat out the entire probables versus possibles hitout after completing a high intensity drill, told this publication this week that he has “high expectations of what I think Tanner’s career can be by the time he finishes.”

4 min read
February 8, 2024 - 2:52PM

Tanner Bruhn turned heads in Geelong’s match simulation. Picture: Geelong Cats
Entering his fourth season, the dynamic first round draftee looms as one of the big improvers that can ignite a midfield that struggled last season.

On the other side of the age spectrum, Tom Hawkins was best-on-ground in the opening half after bursting out of the blocks in the opening term.

The 35-year-old booted two goals, missed another and set up a goal with one of his trademark forward 50 hitout, finishing with three majors for the day.

He managed to kick 49 goals from 20 games without a pre-season in 2023 and it will be intriguing to see what a fully fit Hawkins can do this year.

His partner in crime Jeremy Cameron, who has his own injury issues last season, also looked in fine nick.

The spearhead produced the goal of the day, steamrolling through tacklers and snapping a goal on the run at full speed.

Small forward Tyson Stengle also looked dangerous throughout but was inaccurate in front of goal, finishing with 2.3.

POSITION SWITCH
Max Holmes the defender?

Holmes was used on a wing and through the midfield in 2023 but the 21-year-old spent the entire match simulation across halfback.

A number of sides have been looking to generate pace from their back-half this pre-season and Holmes has speed to burn – as the former hurdler showed by taking out the AFL Grand Final Sprint last year.

Holmes went on a few runs out of defence but was mown down by behemoth Toby Conway at one stage when he got a little too industrious.

But perhaps the most interesting switch was from Conway and Stanley, who swapped between the two teams each quarter.

It was interesting duel and 20-year-old Conway got the points with his follow-up work at ground level and protection of the drop zone at ruck contests, allowing him to grab it out of the ruck and find an option.

The pre-season matches will likely have a major say on who they choose but the gap appears to have closed between the two.

BEST 22 HINTS
One of the biggest surprises in the probables team was small forward Ollie Dempsey, who managed just five senior games last season.

The speedy forward impressed with his defensive pressure and workrate, regularly presenting an option up the ground and then darting back to goal.

Dempsey was among a host of players who switched between the probables and possibles sides – including fellow fringe Cats Shannon Neale, who impressed up forward, and Mitch Knevitt – but spent most of his day in the stronger line-up.

But with best-and-fairest runner up Tom Atkins playing the entirety in the seconds midfield, it wasn’t the sides weren’t a clear indication of who would line up in round one.

With Dangerfield sidelined, second-year midfielder Jhye Clark played a full game with the probables playing primarily on ball with stints on the wing.

A baulk to get away from a tackler and a laser-like hit to find Neale inside 50 were among the highlights from a promising showing.

Jack Bowes converted a nice set shot from a tight angle and played mostly through the midfield in the stronger blue side, while prized draftee Connor O’Sullivan put in an encouraging performance for the pink team.

O’Sullivan cut off attacking forays with a couple of key intercepts, provided run and carry from the back-half and showed his versatility by matching up on talls and smalls, including Tyson Stengle.

Dour defender Jed Bews, who played 15 senior games last year, was in the possibles side throughout.

WHO WASN’T OUT THERE
Dangerfield watched on from the sidelines, while Gary Rohan and Jake Kolodjashnij both didn’t take part in training.

Draftee Shaun Mannagh started in the probables but came off early to complete a running block, while fellow mature-ager Oli Wiltshire walked laps at the beginning of the session and sat on the sidelines for the duration of training.

Midfielder Brandan Parfitt and project ruckman Mitch Edwards were away from the main group with Parfitt completing some high speed running.

Geelong said all players were undertaking their own individual programs and management plans and there were no injury concerns from the group that sat out match simulation.

Utility Mark Blicavs played with a non-contact hat and had some eye-catching moments, with the 32-year-old getting the all-clear from coach Chris Scott watching on that he could compete in ruck contests.

Geelong’s mid-season pick-up from last year Mitch Hardie came off clutching his shoulder but returned to play out the match, while third-year midfielder James Willis copped a knock and came off.

He was then sighted walking along the boundary with his upper leg strapped.

HANDY HENRYS

Jack and Ollie Henry only played half a season together in their first year together after Ollie’s move from Collingwood, but the brothers are set to play a key role at either end.

The older Henry’s reading of the play caught the eye as he took four intercept marks in defence, with the 25-year-old seemingly over the Lisfranc ligament injury that ended his 2023 season.

Meanwhile, Ollie kicked two majors and was lively in the air and at ground level, clunking a couple of high-leaping marks.

One of our biggest weaknesses is our lack of athleticism and power in the back half. So while I think we need Holmes in the midfield, I am at least pleased they appear to recognise this.

Bews in the possibles side, is also another good clue.

We just can’t carry that type of player in the backline in 2024.

Desperately need some pace and line breakers back there. Stewart is playing a lone hand on that front and I think it showed with his occasionally dodgy defensive displays.

My belief is the other way. 99% of kids drafted have always been the stars of their team. Defence was something they ran through on the way out to the centre.

It’s probably the major reason why younger teams really struggle
Literally anyone who is not the way out goes back to defend, it’s about 3 times easier to play

Exactly this.. I recall an interview with Paul Roos who said that the midfielders coming thru underage all are very good attacking, that the struggle is with teaching them to defend and team defensive structures. That it can take years to incorporate and team them these aspects and that some just don’t learn it.
You only need a conscious to defend, not play for yourself basically

I guess this could be the Gary Ablett Jnr vs Snr argument... For me the greatest players pulled and inspire their team over the line to win premierships and it contributes to the aurora. For me it puts Joel Selwood (3 premierships and captain) above Patrick Dangerfield (1 premiership and captain).

Gary Ablett senior probably had more ability than jnr. This might be off the mark - But off limited viewing i'd say he wasn't as much of a leader or team player than Jnr.

This kind of flys in the face of my post about Mathew Pavlich, but anyway...
Probably? Better mark, more explosive, better left sided, more intimidating,game changing, Love junior but it’s no real contest

My belief is the other way. 99% of kids drafted have always been the stars of their team. Defence was something they ran through on the way out to the centre.

It’s probably the major reason why younger teams really struggle
under 18’s literally has no relevance to senior footy, it’s un accountable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back