Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forwards are going to struggle when the team struggles but that aside they are pretty silly stats anyway. All 3 of those players went off injured in games and Hawkins and Rohan only played 3 in that period including the ones they went off injured in so tiny sample size.

Yeah, weird picking Rohan and Hawkins as "dropping off" as both were injured in that Round 19-24 phase. Not to say that they didn't drop off statistically... but because of injury. Close is more justified, though he was a bit of a barometer - his better games were in our wins. Considering some of the insipid team-wide games late in the season (Freo, Brisbane, St K) I'm not surprised to see him drop off.

two interesting tweets.

The first one could change the dynamic of the team. Question is whether robbing peter to pay Paul? Ie. Can we get someone to replace Tom in the backline? If SDK can step up as that interceptor then maybe…and frankly Tom through the midfield (along with Guthrie back and Atkins/Bruhn/and maybe Clark All massive improvers) could all of a sudden change the complexion of the team. I just dont have THAT answer for what we would lose behind the ball

Second tweet reinforces my hunch (that is all it is) that we see Miers in the MF in 2024. Perfect age, running machine, under appreciated contested ball winner and appreciated distributor! Maybe we have too many MF options all of a sudden!!! 😳

Oh…and those not training do give me cause for concern. Every time I get told it is ok I worry more…

Geelong training notes
  • Miers’ aerobic capacity at another level
  • C. Guthrie full throttle
  • Clark, Parfitt, Conway, Edwards, Rohan on modified programs, missed fitness testing
  • Blicavs not training but no issue
  • Foster, J. Henry back to full load in 2024 #A#AFLW#wearegeelong/LIST]
Stewart set for more midfield time in 2024? I don't mind it. It makes me think Duncan as that extra experienced rebounder will be spending more time in defence and maybe O'Connor too. Zuthrie stepped up his "Stewart work" as 2023 went on and hopefully takes another step up.

Perhaps C.Guthrie and Stewart will swap on occasion.

two interesting tweets.

The first one could change the dynamic of the team. Question is whether robbing peter to pay Paul? Ie. Can we get someone to replace Tom in the backline? If SDK can step up as that interceptor then maybe…and frankly Tom through the midfield (along with Guthrie back and Atkins/Bruhn/and maybe Clark All massive improvers) could all of a sudden change the complexion of the team. I just dont have THAT answer for what we would lose behind the ball

Second tweet reinforces my hunch (that is all it is) that we see Miers in the MF in 2024. Perfect age, running machine, under appreciated contested ball winner and appreciated distributor! Maybe we have too many MF options all of a sudden!!! 😳

Oh…and those not training do give me cause for concern. Every time I get told it is ok I worry more…

What makes you say Miers is an under appreciated contested ball winner? The stats say his contested possession rate is below average for a forward. Watching him play I wouldn't say he's particular strong in the contest.

1703047177962.png

.... like these two obseravtions..

Young tall Shannon Neale, who missed the match simulation session last week, was back in the main group and training well.

He was not sidelined through injury, instead another young Cat that was managed through the pre-season.

Young midfield pair Jhye Clark and Tanner Bruhn both looked sharp in the session as they ramp up their efforts to break into the Cats’ midfield group

two interesting tweets.

From the Geelong Addy article:

Geelong has hit the track for the final time in 2023, set to reconvene in the new year after a few weeks off.

But it was not a final training session without a fitness testing, with the club forgoing the traditional 2km time trial to partake in a 15 minute endurance test instead.

Almost the entire squad was involved in the testing, however Jhye Clark, Brandan Parfitt, Jack Henry, Toby Conway and Mitch Edwards spent the time on a modified running drill in the centre of Deakin University's oval.

Veteran Mark Blicavs joined young ruck Phoenix Foster on the sideline, not joining in any of the training session.

While Foster is not expected to join the playing group in a full training capacity until 2024, Blicavs' absence from drills raised eyebrows, however the midfielder is not battling any injuries and missed the sessions because of load management in the pre-season.

Only Foster and Jack Henry have battled injuries through the pre-season, but he Cats coaching staff expect the pair to be available for full training in January when the squad reconvenes.

Cam Guthrie was a welcome sight during the session, having spent much of 2023 battling a lingering toe injury.

His ball use through the drills was evident, and he completed every drill in the session without complaint.

Young tall Shannon Neale, who missed the match simulation session last week, was back in the main group and training well.

He was not sidelined through injury, instead yet another Cat that was managed through the pre-season.

Young midfield pair Jhye Clark and Tanner Bruhn both looked sharp in the session as they ramp up their efforts to break into the Cats' midfield group.

Vice-captain Tom Stewart, who has just signed a three=year extension to remain in Geelong until the end of 2027, paired well with young recruit Connor O'Sullivan during drills at times.

two interesting tweets.

It's great that Stewart is looking to become a more "complete" footballer. I don't know that just learning to play a new position is the sole answer. Ultimately I think he'd still be aiming to improve the contested side of his game and defensive accountability. Improve those areas and sure- he could be a star all over the field and give us a lot of extra positional flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you say Miers is an under appreciated contested ball winner? The stats say his contested possession rate is below average for a forward. Watching him play I wouldn't say he's particular strong in the contest.

View attachment 1875463
Your stats might have beaten me. I just looked at the 2023 contested possessions which showed above average (which shocked me as I - like you - didn’t think he was a CP player). So i thought we were under appreciated him given 6+ CP a game is pretty good. BUT you point out a relevant state of CP rate which is below average. I suppose that is more important for a MF and is negative

Yeah not sure I like Stewy in the guts
Can't hurt to try.

Give him an off-season to learn the position, and see if it can work. Rory Laird & Jordan Dawson both made the switch in recent years, and it's payed dividends.

Different set of circumstances, but Tom Atkins did similar as well.

If it doesn't work, just throw him back where he belongs. No harm done.

These things only become an issue when it's a Harry Taylor forward situation, where it's clearly not working and yet we persist for months on end (See early 2017)

He's the best backman in the game, but if he can reach that level as a midfielder (unlikely, but you have to try to know for sure), then you'd have to play him there IMO.

An elite midfielder will almost always be more desirable than an elite flanker/interceptor, particularly with how young and old our midfield is atm.

Allows Duncan, Bowes, COS, Jack Henry, Jeka, MOC, Zuthrie or SDK to take over the Stewart role, and see how we shape up.

I don't mind the idea, and if it doesn't work we'll just put it to the scrapheap and try something new. In a salary cap league, you have to get creative to win.

I wouldn't see Stewart actually making a "move" to midfield. Just the odd burst here and there like Hodge.

It seems obvious to me that the club want a heavy set of rotations for the midfield like 2022, maybe even moreso.

It goes completely against the groupthink here which is where you rigidly play one position 100% of the time, but it very much is how the modern game works.

I wouldn't see Stewart actually making a "move" to midfield. Just the odd burst here and there like Hodge.

It seems obvious to me that the club want a heavy set of rotations for the midfield like 2022, maybe even moreso.

It goes completely against the groupthink here which is where you rigidly play one position 100% of the time, but it very much is how the modern game works.
Agreed. And I think the flexibility of our players in 2022 was one of the key factors that led to our success. Players like Tuohy, Duncan, Henry, Blicavs - all really smart and talented players who can be moved around to fill a need. Even Cameron and his ability to stretch the bounds of where a usual key forward would roam.

Yeah that sounds more like it.

In our defence it's much easier to think about machines without moving parts

I'm hoping more 'midfield' is him starting up in the centre bounces occasionally and dropping back when play moves on (hopefully to our forward line). I might be getting my games confused but I think it was against Freo? (or at least one of the GMHBA games?) this year he was put there a little bit to try and get the ball going our way and I think it came off a couple of times.

I'd much rather him in defence but I think his tenacity around the contest and kicking/running ability could be handy in the middle at some stages. But at least if it doesn't work then it's an easy chuck straight back into the backline.

two interesting tweets.

Interesting. I personally would probably rather Stewart stay in defence. But I guess the easy counter argument is you want your best players around the ball, much like how we let Cameron roam up the ground.

Would be ok with seeing a burst here or there, but i think he adds so much to the backline I would rather he stay there and add to our midfield rotation with some of the younger mids (Clark, Knevitt etc.)

I think it made more sense this season when our midfield looked light on without Guthrie and we were trying to squeeze Esava into the backline. We saw it a couple of times toward the end of the year, and maybe the MC liked the look of it so want to try it more next year. But with Guthrie back and Esava gone I'd be putting Stewart back behind the ball.

Interesting. I personally would probably rather Stewart stay in defence. But I guess the easy counter argument is you want your best players around the ball, much like how we let Cameron roam up the ground.

Would be ok with seeing a burst here or there, but i think he adds so much to the backline I would rather he stay there and add to our midfield rotation with some of the younger mids (Clark, Knevitt etc.)

I think it made more sense this season when our midfield looked light on without Guthrie and we were trying to squeeze Esava into the backline. We saw it a couple of times toward the end of the year, and maybe the MC liked the look of it so want to try it more next year. But with Guthrie back and Esava gone I'd be putting Stewart back behind the ball.
Bit of a counter point...

I thought he looked very competitive when he was unexpectedly thrown into the midfield for a quarter last season. He's extremely strong and hard to tackle. Maybe his mechanics are a tad stiff to get the ground ball (unlike someone like Selwood), but that can be worked on. It's good that he is our shorter defender but has an attack at all costs mindset when he gets the ball. He could play a bit like prime Dustin Martin.

Don't forget as a midfielder he can still defend aerially, albeit further up the pitch. Having his presence pushing up the ground could create some very different counter attacking situations which we haven't had in the past.

The question remains will a backline of Henry, SDK and COS hold up without him... tbh those three names down back are pretty exciting given their age and talent. But if that clearly fails after several weeks of trying just put him back.

Also you can argue you're better of being a Captain in the midfield than down back.

Last edited:
GEELONG
PRE-SEASON LATEST
Draftee Connor O’Sullivan showed he can play anywhere, lining up in defence, the ruck and the wing during match simulation.
New assistant coach Steven King has been impressed with the fire of veterans including Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Hawkins.
Vice-captain Tom Stewart has been lighting up the track and has recommitted to the Cats until at least the end of 2027 after inking a three-year extension on top of his original contract.
Jack Henry (foot) and Phoenix Foster (foot) have been sidelined, but the rest of Geelong’s list has been going at it, including young ruck Toby Conway.
Midfielder Tom Atkins has been working on taking his running up a level as well as becoming “a bit more offensive minded”.
Youngster Mitch Knevitt has been spending plenty of time on the wing.

GEELONG
PRE-SEASON LATEST
Draftee Connor O’Sullivan showed he can play anywhere, lining up in defence, the ruck and the wing during match simulation.
New assistant coach Steven King has been impressed with the fire of veterans including Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Hawkins.
Vice-captain Tom Stewart has been lighting up the track and has recommitted to the Cats until at least the end of 2027 after inking a three-year extension on top of his original contract.
Jack Henry (foot) and Phoenix Foster (foot) have been sidelined, but the rest of Geelong’s list has been going at it, including young ruck Toby Conway.
Midfielder Tom Atkins has been working on taking his running up a level as well as becoming “a bit more offensive minded”.
Youngster Mitch Knevitt has been spending plenty of time on the wing.

Really feel like this is the year for Knevitt.

Im all for Stewart to be tried as a midfielder

Class player , moves well , nice kick , reads the play well and is very attacking player , hes got all the attributes to be a top notch midfielder

And Geelongs midfield for years has been a major issue , not bagging Chris Scott the dual Geelong Premiership coach , but i think
Malcolm Blight would have put or tried Stewart in the midfield years ago

Yes hes been a tremendous running hbf , but it would be great if you had your class elite highly skilled players where the ball is when they bounce it up , right in the centre , and hopefully he can get it plenty of times and its straight into Geelongs attacking zone , rather than the Cats getting beaten for that 1st possession out of the centre and then they have to rebound it off half back

Im all for Stewart to be tried as a midfielder

Class player , moves well , nice kick , reads the play well and is very attacking player , hes got all the attributes to be a top notch midfielder

And Geelongs midfield for years has been a major issue , not bagging Chris Scott the dual Geelong Premiership coach , but i think
Malcolm Blight would have put or tried Stewart in the midfield years ago

Yes hes been a tremendous running hbf , but it would be great if you had your class elite highly skilled players where the ball is when they bounce it up , right in the centre , and hopefully he can get it plenty of times and its straight into Geelongs attacking zone , rather than the Cats getting beaten for that 1st possession out of the centre and then they have to rebound it off half back
Maybe.

Of course we couldn't win the flag under Blighty, largely b/c we had a pretty ordinary defence.

Oh! And we also couldn't win because we played the PED pumped Western Australia state team.
And salary cheating Hawks and Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back