Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought we drafted Mannagh in for a reason and we know he has the goods up against VFL players so we’d be keen to see him perform against the big dogs.

Although I don’t know exactly who is fully fit, who might have a niggle and who the club thinks is really training the house down.

I’m certainly wanting to see him against the best opposition he can go up against.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Interesting article in the age going through each team and 1 thing they really needed to fix to improve.

Geelong was about tightening up. A sit says we could just say it was a matter of personnel and it will naturally fix. But I do understand that a tweak to plan is that we have more runners in the team who can go deep into defence and also support the slingshot.

In the match sims that has been close miers dempsey MOC and Holmes being much deeper in back half before taking off. Complemented with Stanley playing behind the ball and blitz being the outlet.

Going to be interesting to see if we notice anything in terms of change?

1708232398790.png

I would have thought we drafted Mannagh in for a reason and we know he has the goods up against VFL players so we’d be keen to see him perform against the big dogs.

Although I don’t know exactly who is fully fit, who might have a niggle and who the club thinks is really training the house down.

I’m certainly wanting to see him against the best opposition he can go up against.

Time will tell.
That all makes sense. He is a plug and play ready player. I suppose they need to weigh that up against the development they want in players who have been around a while (Neale Dempsey and knevitt not to mention Clark high draft pick). Only so many spots I suppose.

As you say and interesting watch

That was where my head was at until the Holmes experiment. Neither Mullin nor holmes are lockdown so suspect only one can be a running half back (although we already have Duncan!). Going to be an interesting watch

I assume the plan is for bews to play vfl, oconnor to take on the lockdown small role in the 1s (zuthrie could but that might be a waste of him) which allows us room to bring in an extra young mid (say clark/knevitt/dempsey/mannagh etc). Duncan or mullin will play a different role as an attacking hbf.

Is it unusual that we have so many options or are we looking from rose-covered glasses and the other sides are the same?
It's no secret the list has a big number of players in the 1) "unproven but potentially ready for the step up" group, as well as the 2) "veterans who will likely be managed through a decent part of the season" group. A relatively small contingent who you'd expect to play 23 games.

The idea, as always, will be to have as deep and as healthy a squad at the right time of year.

If we get a couple of hits - like Stengle in '22 who just prove themselves players who belong at AFL level - from the "unproven" group, and it creates real competition for spots, get excited because it's a recipe for success.

But it's a big if. Not a huge if. But big.

Is it unusual that we have so many options or are we looking from rose-covered glasses and the other sides are the same?

I'd say a lot of clubs are exactly the same. Every young player is a star, all the veterans were just unlucky with injuries last year and will all roll back the clock, we've got a better draw this year, and so on.

Probably in the same bucket as any team from 5-12ish I reckon.

We won a flag 2 years ago with O'Connor and Parfitt missing the best 22 in finals. We've only lost Smith and Selwood while gaining Bruhn, O Henry and Bowes so that's a pretty deep team to start. My guess is our number 15-25 on the list would be as good or better than anyone but there are big question marks over how good our top 15 can be especially the midfielders.

But compared to 2022 the others are youngish unproven guys who have played enough to get us excited but not played enough to leave us disappointed. History suggests a number of our young players will turn into the next Evans, Horlin-Smith or Murdoch but right now we want these guys played because any of them might be a star in the making.

Realistically we probably had better depth options in 2022 with Menegola, Higgins, Dahlhaus, Ratugolea and Narkle than we do this year. But it's difficult to hope any of those would be superstars given their age and experience compared to a Dempsey, Neale, Clark, Mullin, etc.

Anyone else try dial up the Richmond/Melbourne game on kayo to test it out and the tile for it links to a different game?

On this note, how do people here rate Kayo's coverage?

I have used Foxtel (satellite & internet) for years now, and whilst no complaints re: coverage, it's getting expensive, and has just gone up again.

Looking for options, though I guess I'll risk losing the likes of the History channel, the Planet Earth's etc if I migrate to another carrier.......

On this note, how do people here rate Kayo's coverage?

I have used Foxtel (satellite & internet) for years now, and whilst no complaints re: coverage, it's getting expensive, and has just gone up again.

Looking for options, though I guess I'll risk losing the likes of the History channel, the Planet Earth's etc if I migrate to another carrier.......
The quality was great for the first year or two, then got a bit shoddy early last year but recovered. It has the odd fault here and there for a match but it's generally good. The commentary and post match etc are often a fox footy team so far inferior to the free to air version.

The good thing is unlimited review of games, quarters. They have shortened versions too so if you have about 80 minutes you can watch a full highlights package of the 2022 finals series for us from Gary Rohan dominating Collingwood to Joel Selwood nailing the goal and shredding onions next to 90+k people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else try dial up the Richmond/Melbourne game on kayo to test it out and the tile for it links to a different game?
Epilogue: it was giving me a kind of group for Melbourne preseason games and defaulting to trying to show me the sanctioned one rather than the scratch.

If this happens to you a simple left or right will get you to the right one

Im interested in the forums views on our trades last year (bringing in Bruhn, Ollie Henry and Jack Bowes).
Henry looked really good to me and I see him being a good long term player - whilst Bruhn showed glimpses of promise and Bowes seemed to do good things when he had the ball - but he didn't seem to get it a lot.
What could we expect from them this year as they both mature and spend another 12 months with the catters? - could they provide the improvement we need? - or a good chuck of it?

The start of the AFL season is closing in fast with the Cats to take on the Blues at Ikon Park on Thursday, 22 February from 11.30 am.

Match entry for fans is free.

The match simulation will consist of eight 20 minute periods, with the club’s VFL sides to do battle between periods five and eight.

The game will be broadcast on Kayo from 11.30am.

The Geelong Cats squad will be released at 5pm Wednesday.

Im interested in the forums views on our trades last year (bringing in Bruhn, Ollie Henry and Jack Bowes).
Henry looked really good to me and I see him being a good long term player - whilst Bruhn showed glimpses of promise and Bowes seemed to do good things when he had the ball - but he didn't seem to get it a lot.
What could we expect from them this year as they both mature and spend another 12 months with the catters? - could they provide the improvement we need? - or a good chuck of it?
I am very bullish on the younger two and hopeful on Bowes

I will admit that I was sceptical (and wrong) on Ollie H. He built into the season fantastically and frankly might have been our most consistent forward (maybe miers). He crashes packs, gets 2-3 shots on goal a game and is still young. I would not be surprised if he flat lines a bit this year (with more focus from opposition) but his trajectory is up and I think he (and Neale) will be key forwards for us over the next decade. Whilst we could be tempted to use him up the ground I hope we keep him as a KPF as he has natural forward instincts. Very bullish which is a big turnaround for me.

Bruhn I think will build into a start of the competition. I don’t think he is going to make huge step this year but a very solid step forward. Will improve consistency with better tank after another pre season. With Guthrie back I think that helps Tanner as he could be the third MFer and go under the opposition radar a bit.

To think we have 3 first round draft picks from that year plus Scratcher - what a core group to build off.

On Bowes it is more hope that best my house on it. That hope is built on the things you saw. He is smooth and seems calm. I see him as a natural Duncan type replacement but he isn’t as good yet so maybe he might find it hard to squeeze into best 23 this year (although he is a good sub) as he is behind others in the MF too.

Interesting article in the age going through each team and 1 thing they really needed to fix to improve.

Geelong was about tightening up. A sit says we could just say it was a matter of personnel and it will naturally fix. But I do understand that a tweak to plan is that we have more runners in the team who can go deep into defence and also support the slingshot.

In the match sims that has been close miers dempsey MOC and Holmes being much deeper in back half before taking off. Complemented with Stanley playing behind the ball and blitz being the outlet.

Going to be interesting to see if we notice anything in terms of change?

View attachment 1908034
I think fitness will be a huge boost in the defensive help.

Unfortunately, the tale of 2023 started in round 1. We were awful in red time, and eventually awful in the last quarter.

Those are fitness concerns rather than anything structural, and we saw that throughout the year. Our structure didn't change magically from minute 1 to 30, we just ran out of legs.

Particularly late in quarters, we let teams get run ons that we wouldn't normally allow, and certainly wouldn't have in 2022.

Having the ability to actually run out quarters, rather than an 18 man defence of 2020 Jack Stevens who are cooked by the 17 minute mark will pay huge dividends.

I am very bullish on the younger two and hopeful on Bowes

I will admit that I was sceptical (and wrong) on Ollie H. He built into the season fantastically and frankly might have been our most consistent forward (maybe miers). He crashes packs, gets 2-3 shots on goal a game and is still young. I would not be surprised if he flat lines a bit this year (with more focus from opposition) but his trajectory is up and I think he (and Neale) will be key forwards for us over the next decade. Whilst we could be tempted to use him up the ground I hope we keep him as a KPF as he has natural forward instincts. Very bullish which is a big turnaround for me.

Bruhn I think will build into a start of the competition. I don’t think he is going to make huge step this year but a very solid step forward. Will improve consistency with better tank after another pre season. With Guthrie back I think that helps Tanner as he could be the third MFer and go under the opposition radar a bit.

To think we have 3 first round draft picks from that year plus Scratcher - what a core group to build off.

On Bowes it is more hope that best my house on it. That hope is built on the things you saw. He is smooth and seems calm. I see him as a natural Duncan type replacement but he isn’t as good yet so maybe he might find it hard to squeeze into best 23 this year (although he is a good sub) as he is behind others in the MF too.
Great summary - I also see Henry maybe having a slightly slower year due to your views (hopefully fast entry into the forward line helps to negate that.
I'm also hopeful that Bruhn can slowly improve year on year - much in the mould of Cam Guthrie who seemed like a slow burn for a number of years before exploding into an AA mid fielder and Carji Greaves medalist.
The main knock on Bowes would be his lack of pace - possibly his tank (I dont know if thats an issue) - but I believe he was meant to be one of Gold Coasts midfielders before this current crop took over (Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson etc) - however he makes good decisions and executes well - just would like him to get the ball more often (which could be factored into the game plan - given he has the aerobic capacity tio fulfill his part)

Bruhn was able to get plenty of touches while he was on the ground. The problem was his tank was not strong enough. I believe this has been addressed and he will play very well this year.

Bowes is not slow and will provide run from the backline. Good diposal and can also play midfield.

The unknown is can Clark stay injury fee. The club believe he will be top shelf.

Bruhn was able to get plenty of touches while he was on the ground. The problem was his tank was not strong enough. I believe this has been addressed and he will play very well this year.

Bowes is not slow and will provide run from the backline.

The unknown is can Clark stay injury fee. The club believe he will be top shelf.
If we want anybody to play the 'Daicos role' that we appear to be prepping Holmes for, I'd be playing Clark there.

He's probably not a first choice mid in our side if we're looking to contend right now, and he's still slightly built.

He needs games though, and he's got neat disposal which is a must in today's game off half back. Not lightning quick, but not slow either, much like Daicos.

I'm not saying he'll have the same success Daicos did over his first 18 months, but a lot of the same traits are there.

Got some interesting feedback on Gold Coast from a close source to Hardwick.
Hardwick was quite shocked at some cultural and attitudinal issues he saw when he first arrived - in his words quite a lot of work to do to bring it to AFL standard.
Surprised me but perhaps might explain why Bowes didn't look up to it initially , why Sharp stagnated and why Brodie has excelled in a different environment.

Hardwick was quite shocked at some cultural and attitudinal issues he saw when he first arrived - in his words quite a lot of work to do to bring it to AFL standard.
Surprised me but perhaps might explain why Bowes didn't look up to it initially , why Sharp stagnated and why Brodie has excelled in a different environment.

Sounds like self serving comments from Hardwick. Worth reminding him that this unprofessional outfit thrashed his Tigers on a few occasions over the last 2 years.

So Dews Fridays Pie Days are gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back