Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite unassuming in size this fella, but have to admit he's a very good user, and a bit nippier than I expected. Looks very similar to James Kelly in style of play to me.
He gets a huge tick IMO , hasn't played much footy of late but showed signs V Blues and really impressed V Dons.

Team depth looks to have improved with Clark , Dempsey , Neale , Mannagh and Mullin with legitimate claims in the 23.
Knevitt however seems to have some work to do , COS very promising but not a regular yet.
Scott always holds something back in the preseason but we saw , at times, a considerable change up in speed of ball movement which I like very much !!

Quite unassuming in size this fella, but have to admit he's a very good user, and a bit nippier than I expected. Looks very similar to James Kelly in style of play to me.
Love Clark. The best bit about the tackle on Parish, not shown in this footage, is that he corralled and hounded about three of their players before landing the tackle.

Love Clark. The best bit about the tackle on Parish, not shown in this footage, is that he corralled and hounded about three of their players before landing the tackle.
Absolutely. Pretty ironic that his best highlight for the entire game wasn't given its proper context in the compilation. The tackle is way more impressive when you consider the amazing effort he put in to still be in the contest at that point.

Knowing that and seeing these other highlights as well underlines the sense that he just needs exposure now to show himself a real player.

Last edited:

Agreed - I think Danger could be like the 150K+ fast bowler who comes on for 2-3 overs and gets a quick wicket/softens up the opposition
He'll be great for some real intense blasts - particularly later in quarters when the opposition are beginning to tire
Overall, the entire team ran out the end of every quarter pretty well. Essendon started Quarters well and then our boys seemed to get stronger. Clearly the running strategy for the off season has paid off.

So on the AFL website, the predictions are in. Only Damien Barrett has us in the 8 (2nd).
What a wonderful opportunity to make fools of a bunch of journos hanging around KP with baseball bats at the ready to put us out of our misery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looking at the names I don't really care about their opinions on footy. none of them are knowledgeable they just report the news

Overall, the entire team ran out the end of every quarter pretty well. Essendon started Quarters well and then our boys seemed to get stronger. Clearly the running strategy for the off season has paid off.
once we ramped up the pressure in the 4th and it started to look like the intensity of a normal afl game we looked so much better than the bombers

My old man adopted a chihuahua/Maltese who has severe anxiety…

When he gets off the bed and enters the living room, he charges around the room rapidly checking every corner back and forth all over the room about 6-10 times to ensure there is no danger before carrying onto eat his plate of chicken.

This reminds me very much of jhye Clark hunting his opponents around a contest.

I guess this would have been somewhat plausible as a portent, if not for the suggestion that the Saints will make the 2024 GF. Miles off that standard, in my view.

Still, going off their preseason form this year, I guess they're right in the mix...

:D
Then lets go with:
In 2010 Pies won the flag, in 2011 Geelong won all their preseason games and a defender scored a late winner in Rd 1 vs St Kilda and Geelong went on to win the flag.
In 2023 Pies won the flag, in 2024 Geelong won all their preseason games and a defender will score a late winner in Rd 1 vs St Kilda and Geelong will go on to win the flag.

Then lets go with:
In 2010 Pies won the flag, in 2011 Geelong won all their preseason games and a defender scored a late winner in Rd 1 vs St Kilda and Geelong went on to win the flag.
In 2023 Pies won the flag, in 2024 Geelong won all their preseason games and a defender will score a late winner in Rd 1 vs St Kilda and Geelong will go on to win the flag.
That Round 1 game was the worst cats game I have ever been to.
Ross Lyon made it unwatchable.

Then lets go with:
Your time to shine Jack Henry ✨

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Round 1 game was the worst cats game I have ever been to.
Ross Lyon made it unwatchable.
Yep that was a shocking game! :eek: Milburn was the sub, replaced Selwood, so not sure he was technically a defender in the game?? :)

A boring game of AFL, until the end. The goal to win it, and Scott's reaction were the highlights.

We beat everyone to speed and won a flag. The same could have happened but injuries crippled us and I'll concede a bit of hubris.

Both pre-sreasons games showed that even for an ageing team we are not slow. We have speed all over the park. Still think we are ahead of the comp in this regards. We just need a great run at it like 2022

We beat everyone to speed and won a flag. The same could have happened but injuries crippled us and I'll concede a bit of hubris.

Both pre-sreasons games showed that even for an ageing team we are not slow. We have speed all over the park. Still think we are ahead of the comp in this regards. We just need a great run at it like 2022

Speed kills but execution wins games.
We were the best at scoring off opposition turnovers and limiting opposition scores from our turnovers in 2022.
Perfect season to achieve this and also knowing when to go quick and slow it down was an integral part.
We were poor at scoring from clearance in 2022 although we got 50% of our GF score from clearance against an ineffective Swans midfield.

I'm bullish on our chances to climb back into contention this year - we have a killer forwardline if we get it to them quick and a strong defence if our ground pressure forces rushed opposition entries.
It all comes down to our midfield - improve that in 2024 and watch out !

Clark, Bruhn, Holmes, Henry and Dempsey would have to be the most exciting young group we’ve had since Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett & Mackie. This group could end up being genuine stars.
That is a big call! But I like it. What is hard in these comparisons is to try and go back to what we thought before those guys became champions. A couple of those were probably obvious but the rest was excitement and hope at what they had shown in vfl and snippets.

Which makes your comparison possible. Maybe not to get to those lofty heights as a group (we can only hope) but maybe to be the “best since”?

That is a big call! But I like it. What is hard in these comparisons is to try and go back to what we thought before those guys became champions. A couple of those were probably obvious but the rest was excitement and hope at what they had shown in vfl and snippets.

Which makes your comparison possible. Maybe not to get to those lofty heights as a group (we can only hope) but maybe to be the “best since”?
Exactly my point. Watching the highlights and what they’re beginning to produce reminds me of that group. I guess we haven’t had a core group of exciting youngsters since then. The 2009/10 group was pretty incredible, Duncan, Guthrie, Menzel, Christiansen and Vardy, but unfortunately injury and personal issues got in the way.

TBH I didn't think much of Ablett Jnr when he first started. But I was a young kid lol

Clark, Bruhn, Holmes, Henry and Dempsey would have to be the most exciting young group we’ve had since Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett & Mackie. This group could end up being genuine stars.
Easily. I'd throw SDK in there too as a proven talent, and COS on pure excitement.

The slightly older group of Jack Henry, Miers, Close, Stengle, Zuthrie and even Mannagh doesn't look too shabby either.

They may not have been the highly rated juniors that most of the new crop are, but they've proven to be quality AFL footballers nonetheless.

You add a Baz Smith, and a key forward to partner Neale & Ollie Henry, and we're not far off another era with this young crop.

This club will once again prove to be the trailblazer in rebuilding on the run, and even if it means a down year this year, we'd still be the only club to do it without ever bottoming out.

Easily. I'd throw SDK in there too as a proven talent, and COS on pure excitement.

The slightly older group of Jack Henry, Miers, Close, Stengle, Zuthrie and even Mannagh doesn't look too shabby either.

They may not have been the highly rated juniors that most of the new crop are, but they've proven to be quality AFL footballers nonetheless.

You add a Baz Smith, and a key forward to partner Neale & Ollie Henry, and we're not far off another era with this young crop.

This club will once again prove to be the trailblazer in rebuilding on the run, and even if it means a down year this year, we'd still be the only club to do it without ever bottoming out.
And Holmes and Stengle as well
The development over the next few years will be a real watch - If anyone can remember the 2002/03/04 discussions when Geelong and St Kilda were both coming through the ranks, there was much discussion about "who had the better kids and which team would ultimately be successful" - The general consensus by the experts was that Geelong had an even spread of talent but no "stars" - Geelongs only real star was a backman by the name of Scarlett
Fast forward 3-4 years and out of that even spread of talent (but no stars) come 2 brownlow medalists, 3 norm Smith medalists and multiple triple premiership players.
Not saying that will repeat - but I think our younger talent is much better than the general consensus of the media - simply because we dont (or ever had) access to the top 5/6 picks. Our player development will be critical during this phase (as Brendan McCartney was all those years back)
I have something of a gut feel that Wiltshire, Humphries and Edwards will be more than handy as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back