Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gut feel - we have just passed a heavy training load getting ready for this game plus finals.
As long as the injured are either rested or ok - I bet this game might be a little different to the last month.

I asked a number of people about this last week and was told 100% not true

If anything we are having trouble getting most players on the track for a full week

It's an interesting game match up wise again.

If TDK is not 100%, then Pittonet has to come in. He will match up well on Sweet anyway.

Port played 3 tall defenders on the weekend. We will have two tall forwards, unless we select the two ruckmen. If we don't have two rucks, then McKay will be the 2nd ruck and on those occasions, Port will have 3 key defenders and we will only have Charlie up forward. That means that all our entries have to low and direct.

I can see us needing presence up forward and going for the two rucks again ... go figure right?

Down back, they have the undersized athletic Georgiades who loves to get on the lead. The hulking Dixon who leads out from the goal square and can take a pack mark (but will be second ruck also), and the tall but inexperienced Ollie Lord.

If McGovern is ready to play, he will come in no matter what. He would suit Georgiades. Weitering is obviously playing.

So we need another option out of Durdin, Kemp and Marchbank. The latter two are undersized against Lord, assuming Weitering gets Dixon. Kemp's athleticism vs Marchbank's (relative) experience. Durdin can take Dixon or Lord height wise. He'd probably match up more with Dixon pace wise. But we lose on the ground with Durdin. He is strictly a Prestigiacomo style stopper. Bring the ball to ground, neutralise the contest, then step back and let everyone else clear the ball.

One thing we could do is rotate McGovern and Kemp/Marchbank if either Georgiades or Lord gets off the chain.

Elsewhere on the ground, we will need a Cottrell type to try to nullify Dan Houston, assuming Cincotta gets the job on Butters again.

Port have Evans and Rioli as their small forwards. Saad will get one. The other is up for grabs, so maybe Boyd does come back.

I do think we match up well against Port, but we are not in form and it's hard to know which players to trust right now.

Absolute no brainer to rest TDK this week. Other players who are a bit banged up should have a rest as well. In saying that, Acres is incredibly important to our structure and if he does not play. Then, could well be the difference between winning and losing.

Hopefully Pitt can rise to his usual standard and at least break even.

McGov, Boyd and Kemp should sure up our defence. Marchy for Durds, you would think.

I would not be risking Walsh with his back history. 5 day back-up and on the concrete again, he is to valuable to risk.

Cowan will make way for Kemp, love the kid but he was poor.

Full game for Cuners makes sense to me.

Watching from behind the goals yesterday, Cerra was pathetic, Durdin's not good enough but we have nothing else. Bit worrying with Walsh playing sore/injured, same with TDK. As a team we were shocking, full credit to North they are going to be a good team, we are too slow and one paced. Have noticed the quick teams like the Dogs, Adelaide, GWS have beaten us, Hawk's are going to run us off our feet at the G.
Might as well tank for the rest of the season I guess. Absolute fluke we are on 2nd spot. Our team is built for finals where it will be a stoppage to stoppage dog fight. Quickness gets negated in finals heat.

We lose this game, and we'll likely drop to 6th or even 7th.

Brisbane should account for the Suns, Freo should smash West Coast, you'd think GWS will do Melbourne, and the Cats should roll North.

Crazy logjam of a ladder from 2nd to 13th.

I would t assume anything anymore trying to pick winners and games is nigh on impossible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute no brainer to rest TDK this week. Other players who are a bit banged up should have a rest as well. In saying that, Acres is incredibly important to our structure and if he does not play. Then, could well be the difference between winning and losing.

Hopefully Pitt can rise to his usual standard and at least break even.

McGov, Boyd and Kemp should sure up our defence. Marchy for Durds, you would think.

I would not be risking Walsh with his back history. 5 day back-up and on the concrete again, he is to valuable to risk.

Cowan will make way for Kemp, love the kid but he was poor.

Full game for Cuners makes sense to me.

Suspect there is going to be some very stiff players to be demoted over the next few weeks...

i think Cowan probably could do with a week off. Hate dropping Kennedy but with Gov coming back, Hewett & Cerra in the team he's a hard one to plug. Hardest to drop is Carroll who shown nice improvement yesterday albeit got beaten by his opponent. Feel like he's building confidence but Boyd's role is more important defensively.

Sam Durdin stays in one more week given the aerial threat of Dixon / Georgiades / Marshall? + he may need to give us a chop out in the ruck...

McGovern for Cowan
Martin for Kennedy.
Boyd for Carroll (Cerra moves back to midfield)
Pitto for TDK :'(

Cuningham, Cottrell or Elijah as sub

Last edited:
Might as well tank for the rest of the season I guess. Absolute fluke we are on 2nd spot. Our team is built for finals where it will be a stoppage to stoppage dog fight. Quickness gets negated in finals heat.

What are you talking about? Did I say anything about tanking? Or us being second a fluke?

Fractured foot & punctured lung :cryv1:

Carlton’s tough win over North Melbourne has come at a cost, with a fractured foot to sideline star ruckman Tom De Koning until the end of the home and away season.

The 25-year-old had scans this morning after spending the night in hospital due to a collapsed lung. He is recovering well from the lung issue, but the foot injury will take close to six weeks to heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back