Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

Who really cares what Kemp was drafted as - the fact is we need a tall defender and he has played that role more than any other at Carlton. He isn't going to suddenly shift into a winger or forward with four games remaining in the H+A season - this is something that would need to happen in pre-season. At the moment he is in the 23 as a defender or not at all.

Why not? Especially, if Marchbank McGovern Weitering Young Cowan Durdin are all available?

What is it's tried at VFL level and he thrives?

Happens all the time

Odds are it won't happen but doens't mean it can't

The only thing is I don't believe you can "Flip the switch". We need to start turning things around and build into finals

I sometimes wonder if the players "don't believe" when we have so many injuries? Do they not trust some of the others that come in?

Watching the last few weeks we seem to be playing very individual football. Too many players trying to do it all themselves and not sharing and doing simple things

Can we win it all. Bloody oath we can, but I feel the return of several key players and having close to our best 22 on the park is the key and we MUST get back to that clearance game that got us close last year. That's my take

Don't think the injuries are the reason for the form slump Soap...

We were hit harder earlier in the season and especially last year, we had so many best 22 players out and still kept winning, including beating top 4 sides.

Something has shifted the mindset though...

Williams back too will help

Hold onto top 4, get a week off. Flip the switch and our best is good enough to take it out.

Going to be an interesting end to the year. I'm excited, least we have a chance. Way better than talking about draft picks.

Williams is 3-4 weeks away from returning from injury so I doubt he’ll be able to help much in the last 4 games of the year.

That said I agree with you and Arr0w that the agents of doom need to take a chill
pill and see what the next 4’weeks bring.

Williams back too will help

Hold onto top 4, get a week off. Flip the switch and our best is good enough to take it out.

Going to be an interesting end to the year. I'm excited, least we have a chance. Way better than talking about draft picks.
Exactly. If we finish fourth, head to the SCG and steal the game. That gets us a home prelim.

Why not? Especially, if Marchbank McGovern Weitering Young Cowan Durdin are all available?

What is it's tried at VFL level and he thrives?

Happens all the time

Odds are it won't happen but doens't mean it can't
I don't think it happens that often this late into a season. We only have like three VFL games left - surely you would wanna see a patch of more than that with Kemp in a new role to be confident in even trying it at AFL level.

And on your first point about who we have available - Weitering and McGovern are locks and we need a 3rd defender. So it's between Kemp, Young and Marchbank. I don't consider Cowan a tall defender and am liking him in his current role and also Durdin is injured. I personally think we need to move past Marchbank at this point and wouldn't be considering someone at this stage of the season who I can't trust to get through two games in a row.

That leaves Young or Kemp. I think Young does too much to hurt our ball movement from D50 with his slow decision making. There may be some matchups where he is better suited than Kemp but I personally still have Kemp ahead for 2024 because of what he can do with his intercept marking and his ball use.

We were hit harder earlier in the season and especially last year, we had so many best 22 players out and still kept winning, including beating top 4 sides.

Is it chicken or the egg?

Are players not hungry enough or just warn down? I don't know

I would like it fixed though as I do believe if playing near our best we are good enough

I don't think it happens that often this late into a season. We only have like three VFL games left - surely you would wanna see a patch of more than that with Kemp in a new role to be confident in even trying it at AFL level.

And on your first point about who we have available - Weitering and McGovern are locks and we need a 3rd defender. So it's between Kemp, Young and Marchbank. I don't consider Cowan a tall defender and am liking him in his current role and also Durdin is injured. I personally think we need to move past Marchbank at this point and wouldn't be considering someone at this stage of the season who I can't trust to get through two games in a row.

That leaves Young or Kemp. I think Young does too much to hurt our ball movement from D50 with his slow decision making. There may be some matchups where he is better suited than Kemp but I personally still have Kemp ahead for 2024 because of what he can do with his intercept marking and his ball use.

So your saying there's a chance :thumbsu:

TBF when I said McGovern was a defender not a forward and Williams should be playing HF/Mid as he is no good one on one I copped a lot of backlash as well and people saying it won't happen :cool:

Do I think it will happen this year? NO
Would I try it? YES
Do I have any influence? NO
Would I try it over the pre season? BLOODY OATH

So your saying there's a chance :thumbsu:

TBF when I said McGovern was a defender not a forward and Williams should be playing HF/Mid as he is no good one on one I copped a lot of backlash as well and people saying it won't happen :cool:
If it was going to be tried I would have preferred it tried earlier is all I'm saying. I think Kemp can work very well in our back 6-7 as he did late last year - I think our midfield just needs to lift their buy in into the defensive side of the game. And I have no doubt they can do that.

There are blokes who are clearly playing sore (ie Charlie, Walsh, Weiters). Also there is a few whose form is down because of injury interrupted seasons (ie Cotts, Cerra. Mots). It’s not an excuse as the same can be said about every team. The challenge is to show some mental strength and just keep fronting up with a positive approach like Cripps does.

Teams ebb and flow during a year. We are no different from Brisbane, GWs, Geelong, Freo etc. Indeed things looked bleak after the Sydney game and then we came roaring back with an impressive 5 win stretch. Use the longer break to freshen the group up - the guys who need the extra work will do and the ones who need some time out should be rested - and I reckon we can finish the year with 4 consecutive wins.

As Ive said befor the biggest concern in is that third defender post. Kemp is capable but just doesn’t play the percentages - in the pre season I hope they send him forward - so in the interim we’re gonna have to rely on him to improve or Marchy stepping up. Both prospects are dicey. If either can respond to the challenge I believe we can win the flag.

Harry, Acres, Boyd, Martin deckchairs?

The masses are being fooled by the messenger of doom seeking credibility

It's hilarious
I'm not being fooled by anyone...Im seeing it with my own eyes.

Nothing to do with H acres or boyd...these are the players we need

People can fool themselves all they like relying on the perennially injured likes of martin marchy and cunners. Ive been saying we should be replacing these types for a few years now and people were arguing "how do you replace that sort of quality" type BS....and now its become so obvious and still some seem to be relying on these types.

We need to make a few changes come off season...that is the obvious part

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re a major contributing factor.
Other factors being team selection, getting too cute with our play(particularly against the Giants), going away from the basics that were a foundation of our good form, sore bodies, poor form for some individuals.

During our run of good form last year we happened to have Martin, Cunners and Marchy all playing.
We’ve gotten essentially nothing from those 3 this year, and then you add Doc and SOS. Our depth gets tested much quicker, when you’re down 5 senior players.

Perfect

Exactly

People can fool themselves all they like relying on the perennially injured likes of martin marchy and cunners.
Exactly

Ive been saying we should be replacing these types for a few years now and people were arguing "how do you replace that sort of quality" type BS....and now its become so obvious and still some seem to be relying on these types.
The conga line is long, most of us believe we should have transitioned these types for some time.

But, some have flipped recently from these guys being important to now stating our list management has issues, the contradictions are hilarious

Absolutely, like we always do, but this time they need to be tough decisions

They’re a major contributing factor.
Other factors being team selection, getting too cute with our play(particularly against the Giants), going away from the basics that were a foundation of our good form, sore bodies, poor form for some individuals.

During our run of good form last year we happened to have Martin, Cunners and Marchy all playing.
We’ve gotten essentially nothing from those 3 this year, and then you add Doc and SOS. Our depth gets tested much quicker, when you’re down 5 senior players.

Not saying you're not making a valid point...

but last year we were missing a lot more than that... including Doc and SOS for an extended period

The only thing is I don't believe you can "Flip the switch". We need to start turning things around and build into finals

I sometimes wonder if the players "don't believe" when we have so many injuries? Do they not trust some of the others that come in?

Watching the last few weeks we seem to be playing very individual football. Too many players trying to do it all themselves and not sharing and doing simple things

Can we win it all. Bloody oath we can, but I feel the return of several key players and having close to our best 22 on the park is the key and we MUST get back to that clearance game that got us close last year. That's my take
I agree you can't always just flip the switch. But if any team is deserved a little bit of luck i reckon it's us. So hopefully we can.

But at some point the boys will remember what they can do. I'm guessing morale is low, their sore and tired. But that will change again.

At the end of the day I still rather them at the top of the ladder trying to find the secret sauce than no hope and discussing draft picks.

C'mon blues.

People can fool themselves all they like relying on the perennially injured likes of martin marchy and cunners. Ive been saying we should be replacing these types for a few years now and people were arguing "how do you replace that sort of quality" type BS....and now its become so obvious and still some seem to be relying on these types.

It should be noted about roughly 8 weeks ago I was told marchy and cunners wouldn't be getting new contracts.

After the shoulder cunners definitely gone.

It should be noted about roughly 8 weeks ago I was told marchy and cunners wouldn't be getting new contracts.

Were you told anything about the shoulder prior?

I'm told he did it a while ago and needs surgery which would put him out for the year. ONLY chance to get new contract was to play and try and prove himself

Smart list management.

Were you told anything about the shoulder prior?

I'm told he did it a while ago and needs surgery which would put him out for the year. ONLY chance to get new contract was to play and try and prove himself
I was only told it was hanging by a thread and he needs to push through. Apparently he was right to go but clearly a fall like that was always going to end him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back