Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why I like him off HB. Great way to get some more ball and adjust to the AFL
True but it will only work if he's protected. We haven't been protecting the ball carrier very well lately.
Are players playing selfish football and just looking for stats, or does it go a bit deeper than that and suggest that many have known for a while that they are playing for their future on the list?
I'd suggest the latter because the way they play at their best is far from selfish football.
The injury list plus the mindset of needing to play for their careers has only added to the implosion, IMHO.
I played a decent level of cricket years ago for a team that was struggling to survive as a club, ala North, etc.
It's not good for the playing group, and whilst being a different scenario it does produce a similar effect.

True but it will only work if he's protected. We haven't been protecting the ball carrier very well lately.
I don’t see it this way. This is where I have an issue with coaching/game plan

If we played a modern running game style that the top sides do, players like Hollands would thrive and wouldn’t need to be protected

IMO names like Ollie Saad Motlop Walsh Cerra Boyd etc are being asked to play a game that doesn’t suit them and doesn’t allow them to use their natural talent and flair

That’s why so many of our players are having poor seasons. Many going backwards. IMO that highlights our issues

Last edited:
I don’t see it this way. This is where I have an issue with coaching/game plan

If we played a modern running game style that the top sides do, players like Hollands would thrive and wouldn’t need to be protected

IMO names like Ollie Saad Motlop Walsh Cerra Boyd etc are being asked to play a game that doesn’t suit them and doesn’t allow them to use their natural talent and flair

That’s why so many of our players are having poor seasons. Many going backwards. IMO that highlights our issues
Absolutely agree but no matter what style of game a side plays there should always be someone protecting the ball carrier, no matter who it is. Just someone to be there to guard against a tackle and to get the emergency ball receive.

Backs to the wall this one - that is for sure - less concerned about defending than actually being able to kick a goal in this game. Low expectation but high hopes - good luck to the debutants.

If Ollie Hollands plays back, who is his matchup? Dewar is 5 games into his career with a .8 goal average and a few CM shorter than Ollie is, but the other two blokes are premiership smalls.

While I appreciate the lineup crafting, Ollie's weakness has been contest all year; too easy to brush off, too easy to knock away, too easy to win possession from. He's gotten better at it since Round 1, but if he matches up against Jamie Cripps or Liam Ryan chances are they're going to make him look small, weak, slow, stupid or any combination of the four.

If Ollie Hollands plays back, who is his matchup? Dewar is 5 games into his career with a .8 goal average and a few CM shorter than Ollie is, but the other two blokes are premiership smalls.

While I appreciate the lineup crafting, Ollie's weakness has been contest all year; too easy to brush off, too easy to knock away, too easy to win possession from. He's gotten better at it since Round 1, but if he matches up against Jamie Cripps or Liam Ryan chances are they're going to make him look small, weak, slow, stupid or any combination of the four.
Cripps and Ryan would rip him up, I think he plays an unaccountable role on a high half forward - the back pockets will take the more dangerous match ups

Cripps is a lethal small even now

Absolutely agree but no matter what style of game a side plays there should always be someone protecting the ball carrier, no matter who it is. Just someone to be there to guard against a tackle and to get the emergency ball receive.

Fair comment. Only thing for me that is a basic of the game that should be a non negotiable for any side

My fear is that we are now playing reactive, selfish football. Voss has been defence focussed since arriving (which I support) but I feel he has gone way too far

Our players are reactive, seem to play an individual game (we don't play as a team) and have lost any natural flair and ability to play on instinct.

Name me any players that have improved or had career best seasons this year?

What's the difference in this no matter where he plays?

What's the difference in this no matter where he plays?
Better chance to succeed in the role playing against a smaller, weaker player

Not great for the kids confidence if he’s being taken to the square by Ryan and outbodied

Suppose it’s a learning opportunity too

Where do you see Ollie long term?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair comment. Only thing for me that is a basic of the game that should be a non negotiable for any side

My fear is that we are now playing reactive, selfish football. Voss has been defence focussed since arriving (which I support) but I feel he has gone way too far

Our players are reactive, seem to play an individual game (we don't play as a team) and have lost any natural flair and ability to play on instinct.

That's the thing about the club.
Ratten got sacked for (amongst other things) being all out attack.
Now we've got no balance between def/attack at all and it needs to be addressed.
So many careers are being wasted by being played out of position. Kemp is a prime example.
Curnow and McKay are at their best when the ball movement is fast. Goes without saying for any KPF.
Imagine how they'd go with the ball movement of the Bulldogs, or Hawthorn.
Even * first half last night was good ball movement, they just didn't finish it off with that last inside 50 kick.
Charlie would have kicked 10 for them last night! Lmao

I wouldn't be surprised if Young is a late out and replaced by Wilson.
It's absolutely pissin down atm.
Getting the ball forward at every contest is going to be more crucial than big man presence.

I think not playing on instinct comes from multiple things. Too many of our forwards don't because they simply are not natural forwards. Our defenders don't because they are under the pump from lack of midfield pressure. Our midfield doesn't because it lacks depth and athleticism.

A few little changes goes a long way. A few natural small and medium forwards, some quicker talented mids who have the ability to apply pressure and a key defender would make it all happen for us.

Our next steps are really up to the recruiters.

I think not playing on instinct comes from multiple things. Too many of our forwards don't because they simply are not natural forwards. Our defenders don't because they are under the pump from lack of midfield pressure. Our midfield doesn't because it lacks depth and athleticism.

A few little changes goes a long way. A few natural small and medium forwards, some quicker talented mids who have the ability to apply pressure and a key defender would make it all happen for us.

Our next steps are really up to the recruiters.
Chad Warner would be nice! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back