Position 2024 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Connor O’Sullivan​

18 years old
Key Defender
2024 Debut: Lock

If Geelong’s top pick in the 2023 draft does not play in round 1 against St Kilda at GMHBA Stadium, it would be a shock. The key defender is fast-becoming one of coach Chris Scott’s favourite toys, with the Cats trialling O’Sullivan on a wing, in the ruck and through the midfield during training drills and match simulation. While Jack Henry is expected to be fully available when the club returns to training in January, Geelong did lose Esava Ratugoela to Port Adelaide in the off-season. There is likely a key position hole in defence O’Sullivan could fill with his 198cm, 92kg frame. He dominated pre-season running tests, showing off his elite endurance and his ball use for a young tall was elite. While Mark Blicavs is an easy comparison for a key defender-turn midfielder who shares a changeroom with O’Sullivan, the 11th overall selection in last year’s draft should be trying to emulate Marcus Bontempelli’s rise as a midfielder, such is O’Sullivan’s elite ball use and fitness.

Connor O’Sullivan​

18 years old
Key Defender

If Geelong’s top pick in the 2023 draft does not play in round 1 against St Kilda at GMHBA Stadium, it would be a shock. The key defender is fast-becoming one of coach Chris Scott’s favourite toys, with the Cats trialling O’Sullivan on a wing, in the ruck and through the midfield during training drills and match simulation. While Jack Henry is expected to be fully available when the club returns to training in January, Geelong did lose Esava Ratugoela to Port Adelaide in the off-season. There is likely a key position hole in defence O’Sullivan could fill with his 198cm, 92kg frame. He dominated pre-season running tests, showing off his elite endurance and his ball use for a young tall was elite. While Mark Blicavs is an easy comparison for a key defender-turn midfielder who shares a changeroom with O’Sullivan, the 11th overall selection in last year’s draft should be trying to emulate Marcus Bontempelli’s rise as a midfielder, such is O’Sullivan’s elite ball use and fitness.

Doubt he becomes a mid but even if he plays key defence / 3rd tall he will win a good amount of ball. Already a good size and Geelong need to blood some youth, so if he's looking good you think he would be a good shot. Could see him averaging similar to Dekoning in his breakout year in 2022.

What do Geelong fans think? Can all of Dekoning, O'Sullivan, Henry and Kolodjashnij play defence?

Tom Brown looks the most promising I think being a few years in the system & not looking out of place in his debut @ 154k def

Don’t think Yze will let him rot in the VFL - Pick 17 in 2021 highly rated internally apparently

Tom Brown looks the most promising I think being a few years in the system & not looking out of place in his debut @ 154k def

Don’t think Yze will let him rot in the VFL - Pick 17 in 2021 highly rated internally apparently
There are those who think he may start on the wing with the troubles a certain player wearing number 50 is having.

There are those who think he may start on the wing with the troubles a certain player wearing number 50 is having.
Watched his highlights from round 23 didn’t look out of place & a nice kick 👍

Yes I'm hoping that some of the young blokes get a good crack at it this year.
Our round 24 team took it right up to Port at home and they only run away with it in the last 10 minutes.

This was our Round 24 team I'm hoping they start with a similar team and the 3 players crossed out will be replaced by Lynch/Gibcus/Prestia
1704342699033.png

No I don’t think he will play round.

I hope / I’d love nothing more then for him to play round 1 because I personally know him.

I reckon he’ll get a few games in the VFL first.
I don’t know him, but I can’t wait to see him play a debut.

Pink and McKercher are basically round 1 locks imo.

Having three players debut in one round could be a bridge too far.

Besides, it could be good for him mentally to dominate the twos for a couple weeks since he hasn’t played in so long.

Connor O’Sullivan​

18 years old
Key Defender

Imo losing Sav is the best thing .

Too many times you can see Stewart coving for sav and telling him where to stand and what he should be doing .
Hell of a nice Kent but lacks footy smarts .

Cats got some good wookies this draft..
Pressure will be on some spots

Expecting 22 yo Bigoa Nyuon to get at least 10 games. Has Fwd position status in Supercoach but has predominantly played as a defender in the VFL and is listed on the North Melbourne official site as a ruck. Can probably play all three so will be handy off the bench or as a second tall defender alongside Toby Pink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting 22 yo Bigoa Nyuon to get at least 10 games. Has Fwd position status in Supercoach but has predominantly played as a defender in the VFL and is listed on the North Melbourne official site as a ruck. Can probably play all three so will be handy off the bench or as a second tall defender alongside Toby Pink.

He is a spud and if he gets a game for North it means most of their list is injured

He will get an extension for sure. Getting picked top 10 pretty much guarantees you a 4-6 year career. Even if he completely flops at essendon, someone would take him.

Also, even if his kicking remains poor he could still make it an an inside ball winner. Has the right build and can burst from packs.

That said, not all top 10 picks end up guns. Going by averages a top 10 might produce 3 stars, 5 solid players and 2 busts. Tsatas and Clarke looking the least impressive at the moment though they haven't had much of a go to be fair. Scheezel the only guy I would lock in as a star. Will be much clearer by the end of this year.
Are you referring to the 2022 draft if so don't you rate Ashcroft Wardlaw Humphrey and Cadman. I reckon all of them are going to be outstanding.

Are you referring to the 2022 draft if so don't you rate Ashcroft Wardlaw Humphrey and Cadman. I reckon all of them are going to be outstanding.

I rate them all actually but don't think they have done enough to lock them in as future stars. By stars I'm talking multiple All Australian level players with "lock" being the key word. They all definitely could be, some probably more likely then not, but Sheezel is the only one that I feel almost almost 100% confident in barring injury. Plenty of players have impressive first years without going on to be top top level players, so my threshold for certainty is pretty high.

Ashcroft would be close. Will be a really good player. Only small question mark I have with him getting to the top echelon, is what his weapon is. A bit vanilla although plenty of elite players have been called that before.

I rate them all actually but don't think they have done enough to lock them in as future stars. By stars I'm talking multiple All Australian level players with "lock" being the key word. They all definitely could be, some probably more likely then not, but Sheezel is the only one that I feel almost almost 100% confident in barring injury. Plenty of players have impressive first years without going on to be top top level players, so my threshold for certainty is pretty high.

Ashcroft would be close. Will be a really good player. Only small question mark I have with him getting to the top echelon, is what his weapon is. A bit vanilla although plenty of elite players have been called that before.

The guy who won goal of the year is a bit vanilla….🤔

I understand the notion though, not an athletic/physical beast, just a bloody good footballer.

Wilson going well in the Saints 2km (Steele :think: )

Reid getting praise from Essendon tracker watchers. Might be a few options down back this year.

Saints are really slow if Steele in top 5 :moustache:.

These are U18 averages .....only VIC & Sth AUST numbers were available (only AFL Fantasy points available)

NAMEGAMESKICKSHBALLSMARKSTACKLEFANTASYHIGH100+120+
Colby McKercher716.115.15.33.411516753
Kane McAuliffe614.3124.76108.312641
Ryley Sanders910.120.43.95.3106.813362
Arie Schoenmaker724.63.35.71.6105.413353
Darcy Wilson916.39.362.310214053
Zane Duursma1212.86.56.33.3101.413653
George Stevens1215.813.42.25.1101.314873
Jed Walter310.37.353.710014411
Jake Rogers3917279810110
Connor O'Sullivan811.59.97.43.492.411130
Will Patton517.24.64.63.486.811030
Nate Caddy910.45.96.22.486.614532
Cooper Simpson711.110.343.685.111510
Harley Reid610.87.74.33.384.511210
Archer Reid119.83.652.583.312131
Nicholas Watson913.26.63.92.181.313031
Harry De Mattia911.17.23.74.678.810820
Caleb Windsor1511.96.73.43.878.110520
James Leake911.64.83.83.275.910930
Logan Morris99.42.45.11.873.49000
Archie Roberts912.28.73.7272.610210
Phoenix Gothard99.86.143.671.710110
William Green137.14.23.32.471.511120
Joel Freijah1210.88.33.82.170.39700
Charlie Edwards129.37.83.32.86710310
Jordan Croft96.73.43.42.360.811010
Ollie Murphy86.34.44.50.842.56700
Must roll with Shoenmaker, Sanders, McKercher

Didn't you see the bit about Max King not running, Steele would have obviously have been sixth if he had :moustache:

I reakon Ross could beat Steele ...:moustache:.

Remember the time Woosha run and beat a player 🤣

Not sure Shoenmaker is best 22? Saints kenties might have a better idea. Could be a great downgrade through the year though.
I understood Shoenmaker was a long-term project player ....you have to be able to do more than kick the ball at AFL level .....just ask Trent McKenzie, who took a long time, and a 2nd club ... to consolidate himself in a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Position 2024 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back