Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cincotta Weitering Wilson
Newman Young Cowan
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
E.Hollands Kennedy Owies
Motlop Kemp Moir
Pittonet Walsh Hewett

Binns Carroll Lord Lemmey

God help us

Granted, but do you trust Port away to Freo?

I don't trust anyone let alone my own tipping

I am only hypothesising as I don't know extent of injuries. Only told that most "unlikely"

As I said, tough call but I can't believe any of these listed players would be going in fit for this must win game.

Personally, I would NOT be picking anyone who isn't close to 100% fit. I don't care how good. We need to make finals with players fresh and ready. Not playing Saad McKay Charlie etc should ensure that

I reckon we can win without them if we play with energy and game plan we did last Sunday

Just my take

Hopefully Sunday was about player management. I noticed that we had, I think, 41 interchanges in the first half. By games end it was 69. Mind you that was better than the 49 we had in total the week before.

I think we ended with Durdin, Williams, McGovern and Cripps on the bench when the siren sounded. Crippa had one of his thighs bound in tape, Williams had come up sore from a marking contest and grabbed his lower back. I noticed him spitting out the pickle juice in the dug out. Gov didn’t rate a mention at all. I had to watch the replay a second time to notice that he’d left the ground pretty early in the last quarter.

Gov looked sore against Port, Hawthorn and now West Coast. Hopefully he can prove his fitness for Sunday. Same for Williams.

Last edited:
Nope. Have to take a risk. This effectively IS our first final.

Playing it conservatively is no help to us if we get done by two goals...

Take blokes into the game that we aren’t guaranteed to win anyway who we know are dicey and watch them break down again and miss finals if we do get through?
Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win a war.
The situation we are in is unprecedented.
Rest them all on Sunday and come what may.
If we do get through we’ll have our best possible team as ready as they can be to attack the finals.
Port will be flat knacker to win on Sunday.
Kenny is coaching for a home final and his career … there’s a lynch mob looking for him in Adelaide …

Carlton is hopeful of regaining Adam Saad
Jack Martin's hamstring injury is also believed to be minor
Curnow (ankle) and Harry McKay (quad) are also said to be 50-50 chances
Orazio Fantasia trained fully last Wednesday but ultimately wasn't cleared to play.
Caleb Marchbank is also expected to be available for selection this weekend.

No to Martin. The youngin's showed much needed and refreshing desperation, they must be rewarded even if our season is on the line, we need to build that trusted culture. Martin is talented no doubt however he is done in my eyes.

Marvel is very unforgiving, don't want any sore or underdone player's in the 23.

Let's be honest with ourselves, if we cannot beat the aints without our injured troops. Then we are pretty much stuffed.

Best case scenario. We beat the aints with our kid's, injured player's have two more weeks to get totally fit.

To have any chance in the finals series, I believe we have to go this way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marvel is very unforgiving, don't want any sore or underdone player's in the 23.

Let's be honest with ourselves, if we cannot beat the Saints without our injured troops. Then we are pretty much stuffed.

Best case scenario. We beat the aints with our kid's, injured player's have two more weeks to get totally fit.

The Saints have been in pretty decent form since the bye and have just embarassed an in-form, top 4 team in Geelong.

They're hardly a pushover. In fact, given their form & our injuries they should be winning this.

No to Martin. The youngin's showed much needed and refreshing desperation, they must be rewarded even if our season is on the line, we need to build that trusted culture. Martin is talented no doubt however he is done in my eyes.

It’s also possible that the injuries were not as bad as we in the public thought

Maybe Martin and Saad were more hamstring awareness than a strain

McKay also did apparently say he would play against the Eagles on his podcast so he must have been close to playing even though we was ruled out earlier in the week

So all 3 may very well play against the Saints and look totally fine and the reason is we in the public didn’t know the details of any of these injuries

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hate to come in with the negativity, but...

Assuming that Williams, Durdin and Gov won't be available, and assuming that none of the players who were listed as 1-2 weeks will get up (despite the one rumour that Saad will play), we will have 20 on the injury list and have 25 players to make up a best 23.

Akuei (0 games), Lemmey (0 games), Mirkov (0 games), Monahan (0 games), Wilson (0 games).

We already had the 3rd least experienced side against WC. Now we'll be losing 46 games, 127 games and 154 games, to be replaced with 0, 0 and, you guessed it... 0.

Injured players from best 23:
Doc, Curnow, McKay, TDK, Cerra, Saad, Fog, Martin, Boyd.
Injured players from fringe best:
Cottrell, Cuningham, Fantasia, Marchy, Silvagni.
Injured players from outside the fringe, but would be handy given the outs:
Sam Durdin.
Injured players from bottom of the list of little consequence:
Matt Carroll, O'Keeffe.

I'm going to assume that Monahan and Mirkov will be the ones to miss. Which leaves Wilson, Lemmey and Akuei as the last men standing. That will give us an average games played of 66.7 (the lowest this week was Crows with 72.3 - our injury list has an average games of 92.4).
And an average age of roughly 24yrs 1mth by my calcs (same as Crows against Port).
Experience breakdown:
Less than 50 games = 13 (was 11 against WC)
50 to 99 = 3 (same)
100 to 149 = 3 (was 4)
150 to 200 = 3 (was 4)
200+ = 1 (same)

That profile simply does not bode well.

I will say though, as bad as WC have been, they were on a 2 game streak and playing at home. They had 7 players in the team from the 2018 flag side, plus 2 others who were in the team that year but didn't play the GF, plus Hunt played 20 games for the Dees in their flag year, but missed the GF and Kelly played 48 games for the Cats over 2 years, including 4 finals.
Their list profile against us was 25yrs 11mths and an average of 113 games.
If Saints go in unchanged, theirs will be 26yrs 1mth and about 112 games.

A season with so much promise ends like this...
See you all in 2025!

It’s also possible that the injuries were not as bad as we in the public thought

Maybe Martin and Saad were more hamstring awareness than a strain

McKay also did apparently say he would play against the Eagles on his podcast so he must have been close to playing even though we was ruled out earlier in the week

So all 3 may very well play against the Saints and look totally fine and the reason is we in the public didn’t know the details of any of these injuries

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well now you've just ruined my post ;):tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I just realised how solid the aints form has been, making a win on the weekend all the more impressive and a fantastic platform heading into September.

Much like the Weagles game, this is won and lost at the coal face, I’ve no doubt Steele is going to do everything he possibly can to curtail Crippas influence, skipper vs skipper. He has a solid record against Cripps.

Wanganeen-Milera and Sinclair loom very very large, we have let slick half backers slice us open far too often recently and they’re some of the very best.

We match up very well against them imo, even with the outs.

Harry and Charlie 50-50? Gov out? If this were 8 rounds ago kemp would be put in at fullback on membrey/king if he was fit and laughed at whilst Charlie and Harry limp around the forward 50 requiring Zimmer frames and cortisol shots.

Please don't **** this team selection up. The carrot is dangling to return to bad habits.

Assuming that Williams, Durdin and Gov won't be available, and assuming that none of the players who were listed as 1-2 weeks will get up (despite the one rumour that Saad will play), we will have 20 on the injury list and have 25 players to make up a best 23.
Fantasia & Marchbank fwiw

Last edited:

Let's be honest with ourselves, if we cannot beat the aints without our injured troops. Then we are pretty much stuffed.

Interestingly the only co tenants (home ground) at Marvel to win a premiership over the last 20 years is the bulldogs.

If Williams, Durdin and Gov are out, it’ll probably be Marchbank, Fantasia and Moir into the 22, with Wilson sub. Unless any of Charlie, Harry, Saad etc are fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back