Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saints in good form. I had them tipped to be good this season and make finals. They can be a bogy side for us because their speed and pressure, when they are on, is pretty good.

There was a lot to like about us last week. Structural and positional changes were really exciting.

I liked us keeping Weitering and Young on seperate lines. Young FB and Weitering CHB was really good for us. Carroll was outstanding at half back. If we don't see him there this week end we are crazy. I thought some of the other ins did enough to keep their spot.

According to injury list. Martin, McKay, Marchbank, Curnow and Saad are possible ins. Fantasia should be available.

Regardless of ins. Carroll needs to play half back. Kemp needs to play forward. Young stays in and plays fullback. Weitering CHB. I'm happy to see Binns and Lord go again. Regardless how far we progress this season, Cerra is done. Should not play again this season.

I think the team will be unchanged. Possibly see some of the above players return. Doubt we see Saad back. McKay and Curnow are possibilities I would guess? Durdin if he has a should that comes in and out regularly could play this week. But good chance he doesn't which is a shame as he played well.

I think we likely go in unchanged but maybe we go in like this?

B: McGovern Young Cowan
HB: Carroll Weitering Newman
C: Acers Cripps O Hollands
HF: E Hollands Curnow Durdin
F: Owies McKay Kemp
OB: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
IC: Cincotta Kennedy Binns Williams
SUB: Lord
EM: Motlop Moir Wilson

Gee it's hard to guess the side after a game like that and a heap of players 1-2 weeks.

So if Saad is in, that is really hard to pick that backline? Would we run Saad on the wing at all? Cowan and Cincotta were excellent. Carroll's game was one of the best half back games I have seen this year from a Carlton player.
Like the idea of Saad on wing. Leave ollie at HB.

Get the feeling Ross will go to town on Cripps. He'll be tagged and double teamed every chance. Hewett will need to have a game like he did on the weekend again imo, and whoever else plays mid will have to block for their skipper.

Could see the Saints piling behind the ball, blocking short passing lanes making us go long to our short forward line.

I know they've been playing more exciting the last week or 2, but Ross always goes back to dour parking the bus eventually, and the gameplan would actually be practical against our small attack.

We are better than the Saints.
Trying to put PTSD aside

I tend to agree, and not just based on ladder position.

The key is Pitto on Marshall and how close he can come to halving the contest.

Steele, Clark, Dow, Jones, Stocker - a working class midfield. Got some big bodies in there, but do they compare to Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy and Lord? I don't think so. They might add the run of Sinclair to that mix at some point, but our structure should help with that.

If Saad is back, he can take Butler. Higgins is a smart player, but slow. Newman is a great match for him.

Cincotta can do a job on Wanganeen-Milera.

Gov, Cowan and Weiters on Membrey, Charman and Owens who will no doubt play deeper.

Acres takes on Wood on one wing. Has the height to spoil and the pace and guile to run off him.

They have nothing to gain and we do. Who plays with more motivation?
Play to ruin our finals/chances?
I can see that happening with motivation from their coach.

I tend to agree, and not just based on ladder position.

The key is Pitto on Marshall and how close he can come to halving the contest.

Steele, Clark, Dow, Jones, Stocker - a working class midfield. Got some big bodies in there, but do they compare to Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy and Lord? I don't think so. They might add the run of Sinclair to that mix at some point, but our structure should help with that.

If Saad is back, he can take Butler. Higgins is a smart player, but slow. Newman is a great match for him.

Cincotta can do a job on Wanganeen-Milera.

Gov, Cowan and Weiters on Membrey, Charman and Owens who will no doubt play deeper.

Acres takes on Wood on one wing. Has the height to spoil and the pace and guile to run off him.
Acres and guile in the same sentence, lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We may/may not have a better line up but if the rabble play anywhere near what they did against cats last week then that will make life really really tuff for our boys.

The only way I can see us get close in this match is by matching/bettering their intensity/pressure. We'd have to produce >200 pressure.
The Cats went to sleep - banked the win at half time....

Saints kicked 3.6 in the first half.

(13.5 in the 2nd half!)

Who would have though Kemp in the forward line? And the kids playing well, Voss the genius, play injured players all year and not give the kids a go.

The Cats went to sleep - banked the win at half time....

Saints kicked 3.6 in the first half.

(13.5 in the 2nd half!)
Not sure…what I saw rabble were super impressive…I agree it happened in 2nd half.

Looking back at our win over cats we were also super impressive as well

Basically we know they’ll come out to play…they always do against us

So we’ve got to bring a lot of heat.

I think Voss accidentally found a new way to play/win based on last weeks win against weagles.

He is forced to play a similar game this week.

But I don’t believe we’ll have the same mid dominance as rabble mids are better than weagles. I think they’ll go all out to stop Cripps…which basically stops us.

Im super keen for the game though.

I think it gives our newish line up a really good challenge. Hopefully they stand to the occasion.

The Stains certainly weren't checked out this last round - this would be their grand final even without the extra carrot of ending our season

Every time St Shitna plays Carlton it's like a grand final to them.

Our record playing them last home and away game of the season isn't great either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back