Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Charlie plays,fit or not fit the team will go back to bombing the ball again to him. We need to play like last week and use Charlie as a decoy?

I will say we were more unpredictable with different faces down there and if Kemp wasn't taking screamers we had way more pressure around the ball when it came to ground.

I think part of the problem for us with Harry and Charlie is that everyone on our team gets out of their way when they're going for the mark while often being double teamed (especially Charlie) and we don't seem to have enough bodies around the ball if it goes to ground which is often.

I know it was WC but they still have some quality defenders and we just seemed to have a lot more speed and pressure around the ball in the F50.

If nothing else I hope it gives Voss pause for thought on the forward mix in terms of players and how we actually want to play in that area of the ground.

I for one was loving the chaos ground ball and how we so often out worked WC.

Yep. The fact that we took ~15 marks inside 50 last week (compared to a season average of ~11) despite the personnel, was only half the story. The other half was the quality of the ground-ball in our F50 - somehow we were much better able to get to the drop and contest the ball, than is the case when we are kicking to Curnow/McKay.

Maybe it's a consequence of our smalls being told to stay out of the way of Curnow/McKay, but I also think it had to do with staying in the corridor more. A big problem the last month has been the opposition key defender forcing the ball out of play, followed by us losing that F50 throw-in, and the ball being whisked away. Whereas against West Coast, we got to the contested ball when the defenders spoiled, and we seemed to do much better at F50 ball-ups than we do at F50 throw-ins.

Pittonet was very good last week, which was frustrating in a way - makes me wonder where that sort of effort has been for the last month (outside of his final quarter against Collingwood). He's not a good enough player to go at anything less than 100%, and as others have said, he has a massive job to do on Marshall if we are to get over the line on Sunday.

Yep. The fact that we took ~15 marks inside 50 last week (compared to a season average of ~11) despite the personnel, was only half the story. The other half was the quality of the ground-ball in our F50 - somehow we were much better able to get to the drop and contest the ball, than is the case when we are kicking to Curnow/McKay.

Maybe it's a consequence of our smalls being told to stay out of the way of Curnow/McKay, but I also think it had to do with staying in the corridor more. A big problem the last month has been the opposition key defender forcing the ball out of play, followed by us losing that F50 throw-in, and the ball being whisked away. Whereas against West Coast, we got to the contested ball when the defenders spoiled, and we seemed to do much better at F50 ball-ups than we do at F50 throw-ins.

Pittonet was very good last week, which was frustrating in a way - makes me wonder where that sort of effort has been for the last month (outside of his final quarter against Collingwood). He's not a good enough player to go at anything less than 100%, and as others have said, he has a massive job to do on Marshall if we are to get over the line on Sunday.
The WC ruckman didn't look that big and strong. I think that's why pitto could manhandle them, but Marshall is a different kettle of fish

This weekend I will be keeping a close eye on more games than normal. Cats v WC and Doggies v Giants because if results don't go our way then Port have nothing to play for as they will have 2nd spot sewn up. Then Freo win and we're in trouble. Let's cheer home cats and giants to make port have a crack

The WC ruck Williams had a bit of a track record of the opposition ruck having high possessions and clearances so it's hard to read Pitto's form. We know he is capable of playing like that, but consistency is the thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am really worried this week.
There is too many videos of players patting themselves on the back after beating a team that is at 16nth on the ladder and played probably their worst game for the year.

The team always gets a big head then the next week we come out and get flogged...

I really hope it's not the case, but going by history it will most likely happen....

See it too many times with our mob...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is a great pass and can kick them from outside 50. open up the forward line with smalls leading everywhere, with on ballers running it in and create a wall to keep it there.

Reality is, you add even a 50% fit Charlie to the same game style we had last week and we are still a far better side imo.

He’ll preoccupy their best defender and allow Kemp to arguably have even more of an impact this week.

Again, it ALL comes back to how we use the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back