Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

You wouldnt know that from my brief read of the Powa board....all suggesting TWO first rounders for Houston...absolute minimum ;)

Thats the line the club is going with as well.

The issue they are finding is its a stronger draft so no one wants to part with top picks and a number of Victorian clubs in the mix for Houston don't have a first rounder.

Seems like their objective this trade period is to bring in Luko and get a first round pick this year at the expense of Houston, Soldo and maybe their f1.

It will take a few clubs to get involved but I think they can get it done.

People need to stop saying Houston’s contract is leverage. It’s not.

This isn’t a contracted player wanting to get out. Port WANT him gone. They need the picks and they need his cap space. It was mutually beneficial for both parties because Houston is getting unpaid on his current contract.

They expected to get 2 first round picks - one for this draft and one for Gold Coast for Luko. Sounds like they were going to get it from Melbourne too before they imploded and plans were made accordingly. Now they’re scrambling and things are going sideways because clubs aren’t desperate.

Carlton have not been chasing Houston. They are just interested since Port and Houston are shopping.

Carlton might be able to trade their F1 for a pick this year to on trade to Port, but it’s certainly not going to be better than pick 11.

You wouldnt know that from my brief read of the Powa board....all suggesting TWO first rounders for Houston...absolute minimum ;)
Good luck with that, given that Carlton aren't even willing to part with pick #11 for him.

Surely Port are just pushing Houston out the door now after getting Luko's attention, they have played Houston like a fiddle, made him look like the one wanting out.

Might be huge mistake if they don't snare Perryman
How do PORT do a trade for both Lukosius and Perryman, if Houston isn't traded .....and they still end up with no presence in this Draft

Looking really messy

For better or worse, we do seem to be determined to be out of this draft at pick 4.
The AFL mandates that clubs make a minimum 3 ND selections, though rookie upgrades count towards the total.

We have Keane & Borlase as possible upgrades, with Keane the more likely. This would reduce our minimum requirement to 2 selections - pick #4 and Welsh. It would allow us to move a 2nd player from the senior list to the rookie list (via delisting & re-drafting).

Chris Davies said last week that he doesn’t know where the 2 firsts come from as they’ve never mentioned it.

If they score a top 10 pick they aren’t asking for another one, but I image if it’s a late first rounder which will blow out they might ask for more.

How do PORT do a trade for both Lukosius and Perryman, if Houston isn't traded .....and they still end up with no presence in this Draft

Looking really messy
Ive always been infuriatingly impressed with how Port do their off season business, kinda feels they have backed themselves into a corner here though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the thing I would most like to happen is for us from here to successfully trade in ANB without giving up pick 25 (which supposedly we're now trying to do). There's likely to be a class small/medium forward, possibly like Hannaford or Dattoli, at that pick.

The AFL mandates that clubs make a minimum 3 ND selections, though rookie upgrades count towards the total.

We have Keane & Borlase as possible upgrades, with Keane the more likely. This would reduce our minimum requirement to 2 selections - pick #4 and Welsh. It would allow us to move a 2nd player from the senior list to the rookie list (via delisting & re-drafting).
Assume that would be Smith (doubt anyone else would go for him at this stage...)?

I think Ports thinking is, use a F1 for Lukosius ....and get two x 1st round picks in this years Draft

Trouble is, no-one wants to give up picks in this Draft .....and the Clubs who want Houston, haven't the Draft Capital

I'm not sure even CARL's pick #11 on its own does the deal
i think u right

im surprised there's not more interest in houston. i wonder is it about money or go home really? apparently his deal is shit

Wonder if the “refusing to talk to Carlton” is all posturing from Port to make Houston feel North is his only available option.

Would be a masterstroke from them. North are getting close to that Gold Coast point where they’ve had so many top draft picks they don’t value picks as highly as the rest of us. Could see a deal where North give their F1 for Houston and steak knives. Have to hope Houston would rather stay at Port than move to North.

Assume that would be Smith (doubt anyone else would go for him at this stage...)?
We will be able to move 1 player to the rookie list if both Hamill & Parnell are delisted.
We will be able to move 2 players to the rookie list if we also upgrade a rookie (e.g. Keane).

Smith is one of several candidates.

We have something reasonably positive in our favour, however I think he’d probably prefer to stay at home. He’s a western Sydney suburbs lad. Having said that, if the deal is too good to be true, this one thing in our favour could be worth its weight in gold.
Didn’t realise that, assumed he was Vic as was being linked only to Vic teams

Is the positive link something we will hear about it is it a purely behind the scenes thing that will stay that way?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back