Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
Oliver trade still interesting to me. Clearly huge off field issues, but if you get it right......

Guess it all depends on how much of his salary you have to take on really...cant imagine what the pick would be (1st rounder off the table given the salary and issues?)

I honestly think you should have a crack at him.

The worst is now behind him (personal and injury wise) and seems to want to prove a few doubters wrong.

For the record I dont want him to leave but Adelaide would be a great fit.

The worst is now behind him (personal and injury wise) and seems to want to prove a few doubters wrong.

I know others might not agree but I'd be happy to part with F1 for Oliver and ANB in a packaged deal presuming Melbourne chipped in a bit on the salary.

Why would Peatling even want to leave GWS, he's a local, the club is strong, doesn't make sense.
Because most weeks he’s in the reserves or the sub, due to GWS having the likes of Tom Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Bedford, Daniels, Callaghan, and a surprisingly resurgent Cal Ward running through there. Whitfield also has the ability to roll through there but is currently probably the best half back in the game.

We don’t have that kind of quality in the midfield, and Peatling would be a walk up start in our best 18 ahead of all of Berry, Dowling, Taylor (as much as I like Taylor), Edwards, and certainly would be ahead of Laird as a mid but I think we’ve binned that as a concept.

Dude just wants to play, and wants no part of being the sub regularly. Team with midfield holes is the perfect fit. We have a chasm.

Ginever reckons pick 2 and a 2nd rounder for Houston or no deal. 😁
Lol, pick #2 on it's own is way overs. Worth around a 1st rounder in early to mid teens imo.

There is surely no way the Cats could fit Smith and Oliver this year. I know Hawkins is off the books, but that would be impossible (for an average, non-Cotton On / Local land and building company connected club...). Surf coast lifestyle....
Dangerfield would play for $100K given how much "out of contract" money he has made.......

27 years old now, 28 next year. Would fill the void we have of 26-30 year olds. But would have to give up too much for him.

There is surely no way the Cats could fit Smith and Oliver this year. I know Hawkins is off the books, but that would be impossible (for an average, non-Cotton On / Local land and building company connected club...). Surf coast lifestyle....
Smith was already sponsored by Cotton On

He'll be on peanuts at Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because most weeks he’s in the reserves or the sub, due to GWS having the likes of Tom Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Bedford, Daniels, Callaghan, and a surprisingly resurgent Cal Ward running through there. Whitfield also has the ability to roll through there but is currently probably the best half back in the game.

We don’t have that kind of quality in the midfield, and Peatling would be a walk up start in our best 18 ahead of all of Berry, Dowling, Taylor (as much as I like Taylor), Edwards, and certainly would be ahead of Laird as a mid but I think we’ve binned that as a concept.

Dude just wants to play, and wants no part of being the sub regularly. Team with midfield holes is the perfect fit. We have a chasm.
Where is this quality talk coming from? Is he that much better than Berry?

Edwards is a 19-year old, first round draft pick, 191cm midfielder. I would want to see him getting his shot at midfield, and not stuck in the 2's behind a bloke that can't get a game at GWS.

Murphy; 3.08 tackles per match Cook; 1.52 tackles per match
Murphy; 2.51 inside 50s per match. Cook 1.56 inside 50s per match
Murphy 0.55 goal assists per match. Cook 0.3 goal assists per match
Murphy 0.65 goals per match. Cook 0.56 goals per match
Murphy 3.08 tackles per match. Cook 1.52 tackles per match
Murphy 0.14 contested marks per match. Cook 0.15 contested marks per match
Murphy 0.7 clearances per match. Cook 0.7 clearances per match.

So the promising Cook gets less of the ball, has half the tackles, has just over 50% of the inside 50s, kicks less goals, has fewer goal assists than our worst forward.

If his role isn’t kicking goals, setting up goals, kicking the ball inside 50, contested marking or tackling…..what is his role?
Where is the TOG stat?

I know he’s been head of that department for 8 years and overseen some good player growth, but a development coach as a senior assistant would be VERY disappointing, for mine

Hope it’s to replace Bello
Yeah, me too.

Borlase for Bello and Montgomery to senior assistant?

I don't recall ever seeing Peatling play for the Murray Bushrangers, I think they may have played together for the Giants Academy and in the then NEAFL but not at the Bushies? Jeffcrowe
No mention of bushrangers in that article so it’s been amended

Yep giants academy days , I forgot re the Murray’s . More giants academy connections for us

Where is this quality talk coming from? Is he that much better than Berry?

Edwards is a 19-year old, first round draft pick, 191cm midfielder. I would want to see him getting his shot at midfield, and not stuck in the 2's behind a bloke that can't get a game at GWS.
Faster, more agile, better decision maker and kick, cleaner, taller. He’s quite a way better than Berry IMO

I think Edwards will end up quality but he’s not a known quantity yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back