Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
Last 10 years doesn't look too bad considering only Riley Thilthorpe was a top end pick

Max Michalanney
Billy Dowling
Riley Thilthorpe
Brayden Cook
Harry Schoenberg
Darcy Fogarty
Andrew McPherson
Wayne Milera
Harrison Wigg
I was thinking more of the 25-26 YO's like Mannagh, and Humphries, rather than the Draftees

Who were those FF ...one couldn't hit the side of a barn, the other Richardson IIRC

Then we had those slow mids ...Sturt guy

I’ll be honest, as long as we keep a good relationship with him re: past player stuff, I don’t care if Sloane takes up a role here or not

Not sure what role he’d even take up here, anyway

I'm sure we will, if you want to be a career coach you have to move clubs eventually. If anything he is more likely to stay on good terms by going elsewhere and learning and returning.

Coaching is a fairly fickle profession. Its super competitive for the top AFL assistant level roles and doesn't pay as much as many think. Its also alot of work. A lot of short turn arounds on editing and player meetings. Sloane obviously knows that but people do find it harder than they think. Its alot more hours than as a player.

I am not sure where he is up to with his accreditation but usually its a few years as a development coach and then applying for a line coach. Much easier to progress if he is happy to take on a role in NSW or Qld.

He might see himself more in a Marco Bello or Scott Borlase type Development Manager role. I think that would be a better fit but he will work it out.

Wasn’t on the website that I checked out.

Four years ago I was very bullish on Cook. His stats have gone backwards in the AFL this year and his ToG was 70.8%
(Compared to Murphy at 71.8%). The one thing virtually everyone on this Board will agree upon is that Murphy is a more than a tad disappointing as an AFL forward. Fair enough, it is Murphy’s 7th season but if you compare Brayden’s 4th season to Murphy’s 4th season, Murphy wins.

Do we need another Smurph (or Ned)? I am just bewildered by the slack given to Cook. Prior to this season the excuse was, give him a run of games and he will match or beat McAdam. Brayden played 17 straight games and took a total of 4 contested marks. The good news is he did produce more than McAdam did at Melbourne 🙄.

I really want to see Cook come on and be a player but if we cut him tomorrow and paid out his contract I wouldn't even flinch

I'm sure we will, if you want to be a career coach you have to move clubs eventually. If anything he is more likely to stay on good terms by going elsewhere and learning and returning.

Coaching is a fairly fickle profession. Its super competitive for the top AFL assistant level roles and doesn't pay as much as many think. Its also alot of work. A lot of short turn arounds on editing and player meetings. Sloane obviously knows that but people do find it harder than they think. Its alot more hours than as a player.

I am not sure where he is up to with his accreditation but usually its a few years as a development coach and then applying for a line coach. Much easier to progress if he is happy to take on a role in NSW or Qld.

He might see himself more in a Marco Bello or Scott Borlase type Development Manager role. I think that would be a better fit but he will work it out.
I'm not even sure if Sloane has decided if he wants to Coach, or do other things in life .....didn't he just join Fagans Management Group, to investigate career options ?

Wasn’t on the website that I checked out.

Four years ago I was very bullish on Cook. His stats have gone backwards in the AFL this year and his ToG was 70.8%
(Compared to Murphy at 71.8%). The one thing virtually everyone on this Board will agree upon is that Murphy is a more than a tad disappointing as an AFL forward. Fair enough, it is Murphy’s 7th season but if you compare Brayden’s 4th season to Murphy’s 4th season, Murphy wins.

Do we need another Smurph (or Ned)? I am just bewildered by the slack given to Cook. Prior to this season the excuse was, give him a run of games and he will match or beat McAdam. Brayden played 17 straight games and took a total of 4 contested marks. The good news is he did produce more than McAdam did at Melbourne .
I think some posters are forgiving of Cook because it's clear he has some genuine AFL weapons, and someone like Murphy doesn't

I really want to see Cook come on and be a player but if we cut him tomorrow and paid out his contract I wouldn't even flinch

He has shown plenty of promise but hasnt put together consistent games together. I think the best thing for him probably would be to be cut and go to a Sanfl club where he can show himself in prefered positions and maybe he could get picked up in the mid year draft by another club. I struggle to see him getting games next year. We have ANB, Cumming, maybe more names yet to come, last years draftees, this years draftees all going to be commanding games.

I was thinking more of the 25-26 YO's like Mannagh, and Humphries, rather than the Draftees

Who were those FF ...one couldn't hit the side of a barn, the other Richardson IIRC

Then we had those slow mids ...Sturt guy
You originally said the Geelong Falcons neither Humphries (originally Swan Districts colts) or Mannagh (originally the Murray Bushrangers) came through the Falcons..

We also had Rory Laird if you want to go that route, earlier Nathan Bock etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why am suddenly getting excited about Peatling whom I've never heard of before a few days ago???
Oh that's right, it's silly season isn't it?

I hadnt heard much about him either. Not worth being excited really until he proves to be a worthy trade if he choses us. At 24 and less than 50 games, we should not get too excited. Could be another Hately.

I hadnt heard much about him either. Not worth being excited really until he proves to be a worthy trade if he choses us. At 24 and less than 50 games, we should not get too excited. Could be another Hately.
You probably hadn't heard much about Ben Keays (Lions 5 years) or Mitch Hinge ( Lions 4 years)?

GWS BF board would accept a third for him.
well thats what they think of him.... and also tells you something because I guarantee us all they have watched him more closely than any of us.

good depth but im not jumping out of my skin if we get him.

I find it ironic that the other day you’re complaining about the quality of posting on here during the year and that’s why you don’t post, and yet here you are offering some pretty poor posting yourself.
That wasnt me. I dont post during the year because Im busy watching the matches and travelling around to see us live as much as possible. Got to 18 this year. Doubt I will be able to do that next year but we see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back