Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Rumor summary October 4 and 5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me … hence we need to trade 1-2 out as well as 1-2 main list rookie downgrades …. With the option of a possible forced rookie upgrade.

Jeez, it doesn’t leave any scope for speculative rookie picks that we once did quite well
We don't need to trade any players out - and all indications are that we won't.

Including ANB/Peatling/Cumming we're currently at 37/3. By moving 2 players to the rookie list, and upgrading Keane, we get to 36/4. That leaves us with 2 selections in the ND, with the 3rd mandatory selection being covered by the rookie upgrade.

Moving players to the rookie list involves delisting them (before the ND), then re-drafting them in the RD. Thus, we will be using 2 selections in the RD, but both will be committed to re-drafting the contracted players we previously delisted. We will not have any "live" selections in the RD, unless another club gazumps us by signing one (or both) of the players we delisted. I doubt anyone would be upset or disappointed if that were to happen.

Which would you move out of those two? Would be good to move them both on, but get the feeling we move on Schoenberg considering our tall stock is a bit meh.
We have to move a minimum of 2 players from the senior list to the rookie list, and upgrade 1 rookie.

We can do 3 or 4, if we're changing our list structure from 38+4 to 37+5 or 36+6, but this is a zero-sum game. Moving the extra players does not create any new list vacancies which could be filled via the ND. We've used these list structures in the past, but probably won't be doing so in 2025. The only reason for doing so is to gain a bit of salary cap relief, with part of the rookies' salaries being excluded from the salary cap. I don't believe that we're close enough to the cap to gain any benefit from this.

Do we have to move Keane the main list?
Vader answered this, but lack of list spots and the fact we have to make three ND selections (which can include rookie upgrades), we don't really have a choice.

With the inclusions of ANB, Cumming and Peatling and the delistings, we are 37+3. If we upgrade Keane, that leaves us at 38+2, but we then move two senior players to the rookie list to free up Welsh and our first rounder.

I suspect Smith and Schoenberg/Burgess will be moved. In an ideal world, Smith retires and becomes a leader for the SANFL side, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's looking increasingly unlikely we'll draft a project ruck, which should've been on the list, unless we start developing T. Murray as one.

Feels like we got all our Christmas presents early and opened them a week before Christmas.
You need to think of the trading and drafting periods as one big festive season.

What matters is the outcome as a whole, not just what happens on draft day.

At the end of the festive season we will have 5 new players on our list, 4 of which should be able to make an impact in 2025. That's the big picture, which is what really matters.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vader answered this, but lack of list spots and the fact we have to make three ND selections (which can include rookie upgrades), we don't really have a choice.

With the inclusions of ANB, Cumming and Peatling and the delistings, we are 37+3. If we upgrade Keane, that leaves us at 38+2, but we then move two senior players to the rookie list to free up Welsh and our first rounder.

I suspect Smith and Schoenberg/Burgess will be moved. In an ideal world, Smith retires and becomes a leader for the SANFL side, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's looking increasingly unlikely we'll draft a project ruck, which should've been on the list, unless we start developing T. Murray as one.
In an ideal world, we’d have two more list outs (ie not re-signing Berry and trading a contracted player like Jones), and in their place getting a development ruck + a development fast small forward

But this isn’t an ideal world, sadly

In an ideal world, we’d have two more list outs (ie not re-signing Berry and trading a contracted player like Jones), and in their place getting a development ruck + a development fast small forward

But this isn’t an ideal world, sadly
Oh yeah, of course, but I can't see anyone being traded.

Berry should've been, we went way too early on that one.

Oh yeah, of course, but I can't see anyone being traded.

Berry should've been, we went way too early on that one.
All indications are that Berry's management went looking for options and couldn't find any takers.

Yes, we would have been better off trading him, but re-signing was still better than delisting.

Especially given Peatling is basically a quite bit better Berry
Yes, but Peatling wasn't a sure thing when the decision was made to re-sign him. Peatling had many suitors, and only made his decision on the eve of the trading period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All indications are that Berry's management went looking for options and couldn't find any takers.

Yes, we would have been better off trading him, but re-signing was still better than delisting.

I got the impression Collingwood was interested?

If there was no takers, surely we would’ve signed Berry to a 1-year deal? But of course that’s not how Reid rolls when it comes to negotiating contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back